babychic

should head injuries at school be reported to parents immedi

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

should head injuries at school be reported to parents immedi

#1 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 pm

dillon came home from school today and a little while later i felt a huge lump on the back of his head and when i looked it was red and sore and he told me that in a completely unprovoked attack a boy ran up to him and shoved him so hard his head hit the playground and he was screaming in pain. i rang the school who said he'd been in the medical room but didn't know how it happened and Dill said to me he was too scared to say, shouldn't the school have rung us as head injuries of any kind could be bad?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

Re: should head injuries at school be reported to parents immedi

#2 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:06 pm

we will be speaking to the school on monday and writing a written complaint asking that the boy be dealt with but also about why we were not told, the boy shoved Dillon and left him on the floor the school receptionist also said on the phone that his lump had gone down so it must have been huge, we are really shocked but glad he is ok as oit could have been so much worse

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#3 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:06 pm

i dont know right or wrongs on this one but i would like to have been informed of his bang.
dont care how it happened as 9 times out of 10 its half a dozen of one etc with kids but id like to have known he had banged his head just so i could keep a eye on him.
hope dillion is ok.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#4 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm

With Alex's nursery if he has just had a small bump i'm not told till i collect him, but if its a big bump i'm phoned immediatley. When Alex had an incident in the toilet and his head and the toilet door collided (no-one knew how just heard the big bang) i was phoned and asked if i wanted him home or to stay. he stayed as was happy but i did say if he deteriated that i would collect him.
Leanne and children xxxx

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#5 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:13 pm

this is what we say sheeina the school could have called us just to let us know, i know it doesnt always matter how things happen but it wasnt a friend of his playing it was an older child just coming out from lunch and if the child isn't spoken too it could happen again with worse results, Dill said he was standing a football and the boy ran over shoved him and took it without saying a word, but his actual friend has been pulling his coat off and kicking and pushing him too so that has to be dealt with too

mitchellmonkey
Achiever
Achiever

#6 Unread post by mitchellmonkey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Mitch's school send a note home if they bang their head. Mitch had one the other week, he'd fallen while playing football and bumped his head and when i collected him he siad theres an important letter in my bag for you and the note explained what had happened. They don't tell us if it's a bump or bruise anywhere else though xx

For your high quality fragrances and make up or to join our growing team of distributors visit www.myfmbusiness.com/nickygrant

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:19 pm

If it was that big I would expect them to say something, perhaps it was an honest mistake and they didn't realise how it had happened and that it was so bad. I would probably talk to them on monday but not make a complaint unless I was unhappy with their response.

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#8 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:20 pm

dill said his teacher had a note but forgot to give it to us but the lump was huge and i was told it was alot bigger at school so he must have hit his head pretty hard, it has gone down quite a bit now though but it gave us a scare

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#9 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:23 pm

we have to say something about the boy who did it because he could do it to another child even younger than dill

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 pm

At my kids school you get a note in their bag if they have banged their head but if its a big bump they phone you. If they have a nosebleed they phone to let you know.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by artyfartymack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:37 pm

I think therea re som sort of rules about informing paretns of accidents, one of our teachers/childcare mums might know. I know at nursery that even a minor scrape has to go in the accident book and I have to sign when I collect Tom even if he is totally fine.

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#12 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 pm

im not saying i would lioke to be called or informed as if his head was falling off...i would be happy with a note in the bag which seems to be the norm.
i dont know what happened but i wouldnt make a complaint until you speak with someone monday. it may not have been the way you feel it has happened. not saying dillion is lying far from it!!!!! but could be easy to overlook a note being given to dillion in leaving school rush and with the knock over it could just have been boys trying to get out of a door and dillion just so happened to be in wrong place wrong time.
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#13 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 pm

You don't sign accident books at school but yeah you have to write every incident down in an accident book at playgroup/nursery.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#14 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:38 am

I got hit by a badminton racquet at school and had a massive bump (still have a bump actually so it must have been bad!) I didn't even get a note to bring home - but i think you should these days. It is vital that parents are informed. Not sure about the immediate or not?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#15 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 pm

thanks for the replies, it would be nice for a courtesy call incase he had a turn for the worst on the way home from school or something plus the school need to be informed about this boy to prevent further incidents if he did do it on purpose he shouldn't be allowed to do that and get away with it

Return to “Schools”