babychic

Pre School

Wondering about schools in your area? Have a gripe or recommendation? Share it here.
tazstrat
Newborn
Newborn

Pre School

#1 Unread post by tazstrat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi there can anyone please help me with pre schools!! iv been told you put there name asap!! but iam confused at what age do they start how often do they go how much it cost etc

thanks if anyone can help

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:56 pm

I don't know myself but you might find some answers on here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Pre ... /index.htm

AlissasMummy
Newborn
Newborn

#3 Unread post by AlissasMummy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:23 am

funded spaces are avaliable the term after they turn 3

most pre schools admit children from the age of 2 1/2 though.

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 am

If you call the childrens information service (number is in phone book), they will be able to send you a whole booklet of pre-schools, nurseries, childminders local to you.
The booklet will have the name of the registered owner / manager, telephone numbers, costings, if they provide facilities for children with special needs, hours etc...
What I would suggest is, when you find one you like, phone and aask to visit it, often you get a better picture of what a place provides when you see it yourself.
Hours normally depend on the pre-school, but usually it is daily - M-F, from 9.15 till 12 and some offer afternoon sessions.
Preschools usually offer spaces from 3, but there are some that will go from 2 1/2 (as long as the child is out of nappies) - but as each preschool is different you would have to ask them.
Once a child is 3 ( the term after their 3rd birthday), they are entitled to 5, 2 1/2 hour sessions, which can be taken in a morning or afternoon (or a bit of both) - in term time only - any extra hours / lunches etc.. you have to pay for if you want them.
With the government funding, you can also use them at nurseries, so dont feel restricted to a pre-school.

Hope thats helped?

tazstrat
Newborn
Newborn

Pre School

#5 Unread post by tazstrat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Thanks for all that info ill get looking into it!!!

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#6 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:28 pm

How did you get on with the preschool?
As someone said about they are government funded from the term after they turn 3 and that covers 5 x 2 and half hour sessions monday to friday each week. Alot of preschools do take them on from when they turn 2 and a half, but will need to pay for these sessions. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by artyfartymack » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:21 pm

I cant wait for that. Toms at a great nursery already 2 days a week so once he turns three I will only have to pay for a tiny bit as he can just stay there and be funded!

wrigleysbextra123
Explorer
Explorer

#8 Unread post by wrigleysbextra123 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 am

I'm worried about it because Charlie is due to start in September (he's 3 in august) but all the places we've put his name down for say we have to wait until june to hear. We'll be screwed if they all say no :s
EssexMums Reading Challenge : 30/20,100 Pages Read
Currently Reading : P.S. I Love You Cecelia Ahern

tammyb
Student
Student

#9 Unread post by tammyb » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:12 am

my local schools have said the same, ill get a letter june time. We are looking at putting tyler in somewhere now cause have been told if he gets a place in september then he will have 3 terms in the nursery then he will go to reception etc. I dont want to have to go to far out as we dont drive but starting to think that i might have to, i think that this is all very difficult and you dont get given the information unless you ask for it.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#10 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:55 pm

Im sure it was mentioned in another thread which i replied too as well.
As from September most preschools etc have been informed that the kiddies will be funded for 5 x 3 hour sessions from the 5 x 2 and half hours, woop woop! :lol: So they can be there longer.

Of course govenment funding applies to the over threes. The term after there 3rd birthday. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Return to “Schools”