babychic

Breastfeeding Support Thread

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

Re: Breastfeeding Support Thread

#46 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:57 am

Yay! I dont know what changed last night but we did it! Max slept in his own bed all night! Obviously waking for feeds so i've not had a good nights sleep still- but i did have sleep at night time, so we've had a breakthrough!
I had tried swaddling but he didnt like either... fussy little boy!
Fingers crossed we have another successful night tonight!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#47 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:56 pm

You're brave telling the midwife :) I wouldn't have! I agree sleep is more important!

Never heard of a dummmy meaning you are more likely to develop thrush?

Lack of sleep is awful, isn't it? I had forgotton how bad it is! LOL!

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#48 Unread post by artyfartymack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Yeah!!! See I told you 4 or 5 days didn't I?

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#49 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:59 pm

I spoke too soon... only managed 2 hours last night!
Jenn I had forgotten how bad it was too, but i'm sure Harry was easier, but then he was bottle fed.

I did my first feed away from home today, well couple of feeds.
Now i'm not very discreet yet but once he's latched i am covered, I was feeding him in the family room in mothercare when a lady walked in with her partner to change or feed their own child. Well she took one look at me (covered up so nothing could be seen!) then done a u turn saying to her partner "come on we'll go in the other room (the toilet!?)" when he asked why she said "she's breast feeding in there".
I know its not much but it made me feel so awkward, but her partner didnt even notice as i was well covered with a muslin and babys head. I know its silly but i feel like society is not supportive of breastfeeding at all really, despite the push for it that you get from the hospitals and midwives.
Glad I got that winge off my chest lol.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#50 Unread post by artyfartymack » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

SHe was probably more worried that hubby would perv over you, I wouldn't take it to heart, your doing fab!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#51 Unread post by Jeanette » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I don't know what her tone of voice was but she could of not wanted you to get embarrassed maybe.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

#52 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Aw, sorry you were made to feel bad but you certainly were doing nothing wrong!

Sounds like things are going a lot better but you're bound to still have good nights and bad. Hoping for more good though!

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#53 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:26 am

I agree, dont take things to heart. I also obviously dont know her tone of voice, but it could have been that she thought it was more appropriate/respectful for her partner not to be in the room. Andy would do it off his own back, he left the breastfeeding room in lakeside mothercare (before they removed it) when another lady came in. Although im not quite sure why she couldnt have just asked him to leave the room? It doesnt take 2 to change a nappy afterall.

I do agree also that society isnt very supportive of breastfeeding. You find people either stare, make sure they are looking the other way, or give funny looks as if you shouldnt be doing it. It is very taboo which is sad but i think the more younger mums start doing it now, then hopefully, if not in this generation, then the next generation will find it more normal instead of 'weird' which is what i have heard a lot new mums say when i have asked if they are going to breastfeed.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#54 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 am

well done for feeding out - I haven't managed it yet - but then we can't be discreet yet :(

i agree ignore her - i must admit that because we are unable to feed - when i see somone who can - i do have a little look and i feel all sad and emotional and i suppose jealous. although i would never let it be known and would be discreet about my little look. i suppose i am jealous as it looks and is so natural. i really don't think i have made anyone uncomfortable tho? would be surprised if they even noticed!

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#55 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:10 pm

I dont think general looks bother breastfeeding mums tbh Jenn. If it did, they wouldnt do it in public at all. Its the staring (normally from men lol) and funny looks people give. It is naivity i guess.
Jenn, i probably wouldnt say you are jealous, its probably more envy than anything. They are doing something you so so want to be able to do, as apposed to having/getting something you want. I think you are fantastic for persevering though. So many women just give up at the first hurdle for whatever reason which is obviously their choice. Are you still trying? If so, i really do hope it happens for you eventually, but if it doesnt, just remember, you have given James the best start in life and all the trying/pumping you have done has helped him. As they say, every little helps.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#56 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

We are still trying - although it is really getting me down as it just won't happen! Really can't go on like this much longer tho :( I tried to pump last night and only got 20 ml and this morning really struggled to get 125 too :(

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#57 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:43 pm

I guesse i could have taken it wrong in hindsight, but tbh it left me feeling more uncomfortable that i could tell she was uncomfortable, it would have been better for her to just get on with what she was doing and ignore me. But i am probably extra sensitive right now!
Jen I really understand how you feel, i was unable to do it with Harry, this time I phoned the midwives to come over a few extra times to help me and having somewhere to ask questions and get reassurance has also been a big support. I also am not discreet at feeding to begin with either, we have max's hands flying everywhere in the way, me trying to pin them down and wave a boob in his face aiming for his mouth at the same time.. about as graceful as a hippo trying ballet i think! Its only once he's latched i can pop a muslin over him and carry on.
When i first posted on this thread i was close to giving up before I'd began, perserverence will pay off in the end :-)

weezypops
Site Guru

#58 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Yay! So glad you feel more positive about it all!

victoriaelaura
Newborn
Newborn

New Group! Natural Parenting in Essex

#59 Unread post by victoriaelaura » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:12 am

There is a new local group that has been set-up to give support for Natural Parents in Essex.

There will be lots of support and information on cloth nappies, baby wearing, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, gentle discipline and lots more.

We will be planning lots of meets so get involved :family:

Our Facebook group is located in http://www.facebook.com/groups/naturalparentingessex/

weezypops
Site Guru

#60 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Not sure if anyone can help, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. Dexter is four weeks old and has been feeding really well 90% of the time. He latched on well straight away and hasn't really had any problems. However, every now and then he has a total freak out where he won't latch on properly and pulls away, then gets really upset if I give him a cuddle instead. We'll try again, same happens again. Eventually I have to give him a dummy to calm down, which I know isn't ideal (though he's had no issues with nipple confusion), but seems to be the only thing that works as he won't latch on. He then freaks out again, cycle repeats and in the end he will either fall asleep or randomly start eating, with no change to what I've done.

It seems to be mainly if my boob is a bit overly full. I've tried expressing a bit beforehand in case to help things soften up a bit but it didn't make any difference, he still got upset. Oh, and he had no problem latching on when I was engorged at the beginning. I have an overactive letdown and oversupply, so am wondering if it just goes too fast and is too much for him when also over-full but if I try him on the less full side when he's upset he won't take it. It's really upsetting to see him like this when the rest of the time is okay. Normally he's a 20 min/half hour eater but this morning we were awake from 5.30 to 8am trying to get through a single feeding.

The other thing is that he sometimes seems to have a bit of a stomach ache and will get really distressed, pull his legs up etc. which I didn't really think happened with breastfed babies, and didn't with my older two. He will cry and cry, and although sometimes I can help him by rubbing his tummy and doing the push up legs thing, it's awful to see, especially as it makes me feel bad if it's something I'm eating that's causing it. My older two didn't have any problems with anything I ate, and I haven't noticed any patterns with when he gets it. It's almost like he's constipated, and straining to go, except his poo is the normal consistency of a breastfed baby's so it's not that. I also wonder if this could be related to the oversupply/overactive letdown - maybe he's just guzzling too much and is overly full?

Thank you to anyone who got this far and can help!

Return to “Parenting”