babychic

Breastfeeding Support Thread

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Breastfeeding Support Thread

#31 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 pm

Firstly congratulations!

I would say it's pretty normal to be sleepy. Both of my two were awake for the first 5-6 hours and ate loads, but then just wanted to sleep for about 24 hours. However, it does sound like you might be having trouble with the latch - you should be able to feel when he's attached and while it's normal to have some discomfort as your nipples get used to it, it shouldn't be too sore. He should still be getting some colostrum, especially if he seems satisfied after a feed, but you want to make sure you don't get into a habit of a bad latch as it becomes harder to recify. If you think he's not latched on properly, break the latch (using your little finger, don't just pull away) then reposition. IS your midwife coming round to see you? She should be able to watch to see if he's latched properly.

I don't think slurpy noises are a problem, I think it's clicky noises that are what you want to watch out for as those do mean he's not latched properly. Look at his cheeks when he eats - are they going in and out and is he swallowing?

The best ways to tell if he's eating properly is if he seems satisfied after a feed and if he's having enough wet and pooey nappies. You could also try going to a baby weighing clinic and having them weigh him before and after a feed to see how much he's taking in, but really if he's wet and content he's probably okay.

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#32 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Thanks. The midwife came this morning and seemed satisfied that he was on properly, but she also seemed in a rush so i'm really not sure he is. He was only born yesterday so we've not had enough nappy 'evidence' yet to tell if he's getting enough.
He doesnt seem satisfied as such as he falls asleep on the breast mostly, i have to gently nudge him to keep on feeding.
Also, do i need to switch breasts before my milk comes in? I seemed to get really good positioning earlier, he had a few little sucks then pulled away so im not sure if it was because we'd been feeding on that one already before i re-positioned him and maybe it needed to 're-fill?' I swapped to the other side but he just got fidgety and after a struggle and i'm sure an incorrect latch, he fell asleep.
I've heard a couple of swallows sometimes but not many or in a regular pattern, should i be hearing lots?
I'm going to express a little later and give to him via syringe just so i know he's at least got something until my milk comes in, i worry he'll get dehydrated otherwise- that was one of the reasons i gave up last time around (and thrush), but i really want to make it this time, do you think its worth syringing just for peace of mind?
Also, do you know any signs to keep an eye out for to suggest he's dehydrated- i.e dry lips? Thanks again! x

weezypops
Site Guru

#33 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:12 pm

I think the nappies are the main thing - he doesn't have to have loads, just 3 or 4 wet ones a day to start off with. They don't need to be soaking too, just evidence that he has weed. I was more concerned about getting enough with Felix thanwith Iris and found it helped to note down when he had a wet or dirty nappy for the first week or so just to make sure (in fact the hospital recommended it for peace of mind). If you want to syringe-feed then it's up to you, I can understand why you'd be concerned, but at the same time, the more you put him to the breast, the more he'll learn how to do it and the quicker your milk will come in and supply will increase. Perhaps give it another day or so to see how he's doing then - it is still really early days and it's normal for them to get tired after or during eating - they do only have tiny tummies at this point remember!

As for switching breasts, I never bothered when they were little. As long as you swap from feed to feed so that each one gets a go it doesn't really matter. Some babies like to have both sides but mine didn't mind, and in fact it's better to have them on one side longer than to swap too early as they get the creamier hind-milk (when your milk comes in anyway).

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#34 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Congratulations - well done! Looking forward to reading your birth story when you get the chance!

my mw checked james' tongue for dehydration.

is mw coming tomorrow - ask for a feeding support worker to come round. the one i had was lovely

Jeanette
The Nanny

#35 Unread post by Jeanette » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your little boy Max.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#36 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am

Congrats on your new arrival hun. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#37 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

How is it going today? Any improvement?

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#38 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks for your help, I called the midwife yesterday morning to come see me as monday night I stayed up the whole night feeding him, as soon as I put him down he would root around again and cry, i didnt get to sleep until 5am so was really shattered.
She was satisfied he's getting plenty-well as much as possible, she said it is a case of him being very hungry until the milk comes in as althouth the colostrum is very good, theres only a little of it. He was comfort sucking too.
Max is showing no signs of dehydration or anything so she was happy, i was relieved.
She also said that as I am very fair my skin is more delicate and will be more prone to soreness- lucky me! She showed me another position to feed in that will help, so its not exactly the same areas being used each time.
We had a great day yesterday, my milk started to come in and he was definately getting more- i could hear it, although its still fairly painful, i'm not sure when he's comfort sucking and when he's not a lot of the time. He was feeding, soiling and weeing lots (too much lol!) then sleeping happily in between.....

until the sun went down and then the demon re-appeared! I'm shattered again as we had another night where he constantly wanted to be on the breast, i'm sure there was nothing left but he still wasnt satisfied, as soon as i put him down he roots and cries straight away, its so frustrating when i'm so tired and sore. I feel myself falling asleep while he's feeding, which makes me slouch my shoulders a little, hurting my boob and nipple as his position changes... how can something so natural be sooooo difficult!?
Ironically, once the morning came, the little angel returns and he's back to feeding then sleeping happily again... any tips on this? Is it normal!?

Thankyou all for your congratulations, I will add a birth story when i feel more human as Max was born at queens hospital and it was very positive, despite the concerns I had about going there, so I think it may be reassuring to others to read a good review of the maternity services there for once. x

weezypops
Site Guru

#39 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh that is totally normal! My two were the same for the first few days until my milk came in - wanting to eat all night. We found that the best thing to do was for Kester and I to swap over - I'd feed them for a bit, then he'd take over and let them suckle on his finger as they didn't really want to eat, just suckle. Max might be the same, just wants the comfort. If it's exhausting you then see if hubby can take over for a bit as it won't do him any harm to have Dad's finger for a couple of hours.

Also, I know this isn't for everyone but have you tried lying down and nursing on your side? I found this was great as it didn't matter then if you do nod off a bit.

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#40 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:06 pm

I did consider trying nursing on my side last night, I just couldnt get comfy as dan was in the way! It may be something i try tonight. I may also try letting him suckle a clean finger too- Harry was like that and ended up with a dummy, but i'm really trying to avoid turning to a dummy this time- especially while i get to grips with breast feeding.
I cant say i'm enjoying feeding max myself yet but each day its getting better, we're latching on correctly more often then not today and it is satisfying hearing him feed, hearing him getting the milk- especially knowing the price of formula!
I just hope the nights get easier soon as i dread turning the light out for the evening at the moment. I struggle more with positioning in the night too, i guesse its due to the dim lighting so tonight we're going to leave a radio on for the night and have a light on a little brighter to see if he settles better- he's fine in the day and i wonder if he sleeps better with all the noise.

weezypops
Site Guru

#41 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:11 pm

White noise is supposed to be good for babies as it's more womb-like, so that might be a good idea - they say a hoover often works!

it can be hard work at first but I think if you can get past the first week or so it will feel totally different and worth it - you're doing really well!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#42 Unread post by Jeanette » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:06 am

I never manage it myself Kayley but it sounds like you are doing fine. I've learnt a lot from Louise, I didn't realise there was so much to it and there are difficulties but mostly they can be overcome. You are doing the best thing. Keep it up if you can.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#43 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:43 pm

I found night time feeds almost impossible to do upstairs in bed and have ended up getting up to come downstairs to try and get James to latch on. Mike says it would be okay to turn the light on and try in bed but it is so difficult and James screams and I know mike needs his sleep as he has to get up to go to work in the morning.

I agree that it is lovely when you can hear them actually sucking!

I have found trying to feed whilst laying down difficult too - although what I have been trying to do is to feed James whilst sitting but with him sort of wedged up against my side so he is in the same position as my body. Does that make sense? And then when you try again whilst laying down - it is actually the same position just horizontal rather than verical. Does that make sense? It helped James as I suppose it was familiar.

Mind you - James is a bad sucker and we still haven't established it and not sure if we will.

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#44 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 pm

I dont like to say incase I jinx it but I think we've got it in the day now, thank goodness! He's feeding well and definately getting plenty of milk as he's leaked out of 2 nappies today!

Last night I tried feeding lying down... ouch! I couldnt position Max well so gave up once he started getting too noisy! I'm going to wait until we're a little more established. I did get some sleep in the end but only because I let max sleep on my chest for the night- I was shattered! Sod's law was though, as i was changing Max's nappy at about 12ish Harry came and climbed into my bed too so as me and max were dozing off Harry kept fidgeting and trying to give us cuddles... as a result he kept me up until 2am. Still, it was the best sleep I've had all week.
I woke up really uncomfortable and achey this morning though from the extra weight of max on my chest, i wont be doing it again tonight- it still aches now. The midwife gave me a naughty look too when I told her, I knew it was naughty but I really needed some sleep!
Now I have a little more energy to stay up all tonight now!
I asked the midwife today about a dummy for Max's comfort sucking, she said it was fine but that it would increase the chances of Max getting thrush so i've decided i'll persevere with the nights until he gets over it- I tried the finger thing but he wasnt fooled! Damn!
Its really helped having somewhere to write it all down and someone to ask for help, thanks! I feel we've come so far since the start of the week, hopefully this time next week we'll be sorted nights too.... wishful thinking eh!?

weezypops
Site Guru

#45 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 pm

Yay, it's great that you're feeling good about it. To be honest I did struggle to feed on my side at first, I found it a lot easier with Iris than with Felix but I think it's because I had more practise by then from when Felix was a little older, so it came a bit more naturally. I'd keep giving it a go if I were you every now and then maybe, not to the point of it hurting, obviously, but you might find a position that works for you.

Yeah, it's not ideal for him to be on your chest but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do I think. It's also not a great idea for you to be severely sleep-deprived! I know not everyone is keen, but have you thought about having him in the bed with you? He might like to just be close to you and you can kind of roll him off your chest and onto the bed. As long as you're not drunk, don't cover him with a duvet etc. it's safe. Totally up to you but once we started doing that with Felix everything got so much better. As I said though, I know it's not for everyone so don't feel you have to find reasons if you're just not happy about it!

Have you tried anything like swaddling him? Felix LOVED being swaddled - he wanted to sleep on us all the time and being swaddled seemed to help him as he felt comforted by it in a similar way. I used the wrap-around swaddling blankets for him which were really easy to use. Also, putting something in the cot that smells of you, especially of your milk, like a breastpad or something like that can be soothing for newborns.

Return to “Parenting”