babychic

Getting 15 month old to sleep in a bed

Ask Lisa Clegg author of The Blissful Baby Expert and Lynsey Calvert from Mothering Matters questions you have regarding dealing with everything baby-related.
Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

Re: Getting 15 month old to sleep in a bed

#16 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Oh right-sorry! It may have been that I read it wrong. I was at work last night with twins who both have terrible coughs and colds so I'm feeling very sleep deprived today too-looking fwd to my bed tonight that's for sure!

What is your plan? To settle her in a bed in another room?

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#17 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat May 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Already replied to the above but not showing up when I refreshed so hope I'm now not posting twice....!

Apologies, I probably read your comment wrong. I was working last night with twins who have hacking coughs and bad colds so up most of the night and no sleep as yet, so brain not quite in gear! Lol

What is your plan-to settle her in the bed in her own room? Just need to know what I'm working with.....

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#18 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Ha ha-now I know why the comment wasn't showing-I was still on page 1 and didn't realise comment had gone over to page 2-told you I was tired! Lol
Apologies for posting twice!

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#19 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat May 25, 2013 7:57 pm

lol

Yes are plan is for her to settle in another room as it's getting cramped in our bed and i'm finding it hard to get comfortable plus she keeps making noises and moving as i'm falling asleep and I can't sleep with any noise or have anyone touching me persay. My main aim is to be 1. Able to get her to sleep in her bed and 2. to go back to sleep when she awakens without to much fuss

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#20 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Ok. Depends what method you prefer and how much understanding she has. You can use either of the methods described further up in the thread. If you definitely want to stick with the bed then you just have to be more vigilant and will have to work harder to get her to stay in it! Do you pat/cuddle her to sleep in your bed or just have to sit next to her?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#21 Unread post by Gillybean » Sun May 26, 2013 8:47 am

i sit next to her and she cuddles me and falls asleep. Problem is in her bed it makes lots of noise if you move so I can't sit next to her in it, i would have to be on the floor i guess.

gradual retreat method I think

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#22 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 am

Yep I agree. Good luck x

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#23 Unread post by Gillybean » Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 pm

well decided to do the cry it out method instead and put a stair gate up on her bedroom door but left the door open and kept putting her to bed and after 1 hour and 45 mins she finally gave in so will see what the night brings

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#24 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sun May 26, 2013 11:14 pm

1 hour and 45 mins is pretty good for a first night. When you do pick her up and put her back it's important you are not drawn into conversation. Just place her back in bed and repeat the same simple words each time-something along the lines of 'night night time' or ' sleepy time' whatever is familiar to her. Stay calm (even if it is the 20th time you have put her back, lol), and just pick her up repeating the same words each time and put her back into bed. She will soon get the message and by day 3 you should notice a vast improvement if you stick to the plan.

Something else that is quite important is that you have some sort of indication to her that it is wake up time. Depending on her level of understanding she is probably a bit too young to use a wake up clock. For now you just need to try and get to her in the mornings before she actually wakes fully. Go in, open the curtains and say 'Good morning, time to wake up.' By making sure you are in control of sleep time and wake up time, it will be much easier for her to understand and she will settle down quite quickly!

Does all of that make sense?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#25 Unread post by Gillybean » Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 am

yes it makes sense.

last night she slept for 5 hours in her bed then woke up at 2 am and it took me 1 hour and 15 mins to get out of her room as I couldn't let her cry and wake the house up but she was up again within 30 mins and i had a migraine from not sleeping so ended up in her bed as she just wouldn't settle

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#26 Unread post by Gillybean » Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 am

oh yes I didn't talk to her and even changed her nappy without talking to her and eventually she stayed in bed i just want it to last all night. The biggest problem is what if she wakes earlier tonight I seriously can't be up all night and not very comfortable sitting on a floor wide awake all night

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#27 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Mon May 27, 2013 10:17 am

An initial 5 hour stretch is great.

I totally understand your fears about her waking everyone else in the house up.
In order for this to work though you need to be consistent. If she learns that persistent waking means mummy will eventually just get into bed with her then it gives her a reward to work towards and will make her even more persistent.

Patience and perseverance is the key. If your older children are on half term like mine, then this is probably an ideal week to persevere and get the problem sorted once and for all!! At least they don't need to be wide awake and alert for school this week!
Harder for you I know as you will have all 3 to cope with on broken sleep, but I promise you it WILL work if you follow and stick to the plan!

If its easier to have a quick chat on the phone then feel free to give my mobile a call 07900076796

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#28 Unread post by Gillybean » Mon May 27, 2013 11:33 am

thanks lisa I'm gonna try the same thing again tonight with the getting her to bed then if she wakes up I'm going to have a mattress on the floor and lay near her but ultimately keep her in her own bed as my husband needs sleep to lol

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#29 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Gradual retreat method is probably much easier on you and her to begin with.
Keep me posted on how you are getting on and feel free to call/text if you need to ask a quick question. I don't know if it's possible to get an email every time someone comments on this thread to alert me??? Failing that, I only see the comments when I log in on the iPad and I don't always have that with me! Lol! Use my mobile number if you need to ;-)

weezypops
Site Guru

#30 Unread post by weezypops » Mon May 27, 2013 1:06 pm

At the bottom of the page you can click to subscribe to the topic which will send emails.

Return to “Ask the Baby Expert”