babychic

Bubble and Squeak

For discussion about healthy living, recipe advice and more.
libralady
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

Bubble and Squeak

#1 Unread post by libralady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:20 am

I have never made this before and really fancy making some, has anyone got a good recipe for it, or is it just a case of chucking any leftovers in a pan and hoping for the best. I have got lots of savoy cabbage left over from yesterdays roast and I really don't want to waste it, any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Dianne
Dianne - Mum to Daniel, Louise and Christian, wife to Ian.

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Bubble and Squeak

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

Not had bubble and squeak for ages...My nan used to make it at least once a month!!

25g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
450g cold, cooked mashed potatoes
225g cooked cabbage, roughly chopped
1 tbsp plain flour for dusting
1 tbsp oil for frying
1 tbsp vinegar
4 eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Melt the butter in a large, shallow, heavy-based frying pan (preferably non-stick). Add the onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft.
2. Tip the softened onion into a large bowl and add the potatoes and cabbage. Season generously with salt and pepper and mix together. With lightly floured hands, shape the mixture into four rough cakes, each about 2cm thick.
3. Wipe the pan clean with kitchen paper, then add the oil and heat. Put the cakes into the pan and fry over a medium heat for about 15 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crisp.
4. About 5 minutes before the end of cooking, prepare the poached eggs. Pour about 4cm of boiling water into a large, wide frying pan. Add the vinegar and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, so that the water bubbles gently. Crack an egg into a cup or small bowl, then gently tip it into the water. Repeat this with the remaining eggs.
5. Cook the eggs very gently for 1 minute, then gently spoon a little boiling water over the centre of each egg to cook the yolks. Poach for a further 2 minutes, then lift out the eggs with a draining spoon, allowing the water to drain.
6. Lay a poached egg on top of each bubble and squeak cake and break each yolk gently with the tip of a knife, so that it drizzles temptingly

CAN ADD:- Chop four rashers of rindless back or streaky bacon and fry with the onions. * You could make one large cake. Serve cut into wedges with cold roast beef and lashings of gravy.

libralady
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#3 Unread post by libralady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks Michelle thats sounds yummy, gonna try that tonight.
Dianne - Mum to Daniel, Louise and Christian, wife to Ian.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#4 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:02 am

Yum love Bubble and Squeak. My MIL puts carrotts and things like that in it too, so theres extra goodness in there, its still so yummy. She puts it in the oven too, which is yummy. Just another way of doing it really, can add extra bits, of your choice.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:55 am

We love bubble and squeak - had it yesterday actually. We whack anything in if we have leftovers but if we buy especially to have we do have potato and half swede and then a load of cabbage. yummy yummy yummy! Boil, mash and fry.

Return to “Health Talk”