babychic

Reading levels

For sensitive matters where you would rather your identity went unknown. Post in here and be assured you will remain anonymous.

Reading levels

#1 Unread post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26 am

My child is in infant school and is a good reader. Ahead of where they are meant to be (as far as I can tell). However - the books that are brought home are still too easy - should i go and tell the teacher that they are too easy? I write in the reading record 'no problems' or 'this book was abit easy' etc every day and looking bac over the last few weeks - there is literally just the odd word that caused problems or had to be corrected and most of those are (not common) names or words that aren't very common or are very hard!

I suppose I should have a word with the teacher but we are alrady getting books that are much harder than what the other children are bring home? It is parents evening next month - shall i just wait until then? carry on writing 'no problems' in the record and wait and see? We only got moved up onto his current band the week before christmas so maybe give it more time?

Re: Reading levels

#2 Unread post by Guest » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:15 pm

We went on a training session regarding reading and there are lots you can do with books apart from just reading them. Yes speak to the teacher don't get me wrong but you can also extend it, ask more questions regarding the story, could your child predict what would happen next? There are tons of things you can do

My children both read at a higher level than they should and both more able for their age. We also rad our own books from the library or from their extensive collection which can further their ability.

Have a chat with the teacher though who can give you more ideas of how to support your child. You won't come across pushy. Some just like to ease the children into reading.

#3 Unread post by Guest » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:40 am

#4 Unread post by Guest » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:13 pm

I think it's always worth having a chat with the teacher if you are concerned but they do look for a lot more than just being able to read the words. With both of mine in school they had a lot of comprehension stuff they had to be able to do, which got harder the further on they went and often seemed to have a slightly tenuous link to their reading as such and be more about literacy overall, so for example, being able to explain the difference between how a story is told in a novel and in a newspaper, being able to alphabetise words, being able to cross reference using an index etc so it might be that there are a few boxes that still need to be ticked. I've also found that the school have changed things between my son and daughter - with Felix they went up when they were ready whereas with Iris they seem to all go up at once, like they assess everyone on the same level in the same week and most of them end up going up on the same day.

#5 Unread post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:53 am

ah thanks. the school actually put him up on the following Monday without me needing to have a word so that was good. thank you

#6 Unread post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 am

although actually i think he needs to go up again as the books are too easy - not sure i can get him moved up again so quickly. he just isn't challenged at all

#7 Unread post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:58 pm

I think it's normal for there to be a break between them where they make sure they can tick all the boxes. Neither of mine ever found the school books challenging so they read things that challenge them at home and kind of go through the motions with the school books.

#8 Unread post by Guest » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:39 am

I had to do the same with my son when he was in infants - I just bought/borrowed the next level of reading book and he read them at home - eventually - the school realised and moved him up to where he was meant to be.

Return to “Anonymous Questions”