babychic

Breastfeeding Support Thread

weezypops
Site Guru

Breastfeeding Support Thread

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Breastfeeding is something that many women try but don't always succeed with, which can lead to them feeling guilty and that they have failed. This needn't be the case. With good support and advice, most women can succeed in breastfeeding and find the experience to be a very rewarding one for mother and baby.

If you have any questions or need advice about breastfeeding, or would just like to chat about your experiences, please feel free to ask anything here.

weezypops
Site Guru

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:39 pm

Here's my experience of breastfeeding.

Felix was exclusively breastfed until we started solids at six months, and I'm still breastfeeding him now at nine months. He's never had an ounce of formula, and I intend to carry on until at least a year, hopefully. At the moment I don't know when I will wean him, I'd like it to be baby-led but if we get to a point where I'm ready to wean I might gently persuade him!

My experience of breastfeeding has been a very good one. It was tough for the first few days, as it is for many people. I spent the first night he was home in tears because I didn't think he was getting enough milk and was worried on and off about it going wrong for quite a while. However, it's always been pretty good, we've had a couple of hurdles here and there but have persisted and I can really say it's one of the best things I ever did.

If you can't tell, I've become a bit of a 'lactivist' and would love to help anyone who is thinking of giving it a go.

Jeanette
The Nanny

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 pm

I reckon you could give some excellent advice. :)
You've done a good job with my Grandson. He's a healthy, handsome, robust and charming little chap.
I'm proud of you. :D :D :D :D :D
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Aw, thanks Mum!

xJuliex

#5 Unread post by xJuliex » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:22 am

Aw, that's so sweet!!!! :)

I'd love to offfer my support and experience to those who want it (still BFing here, hoping she self weans soon though :lol: )
Julie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmxxn8N/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wmxxn8N/weight.png[/img]

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#6 Unread post by Lynsey » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 am

Hi I'm a breast feeding mum to my 18 month old DS. I am an NHS breast feeding supporter and will gladly answer questions or give advice if needed.

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am

Hi Lynsey, glad you could join us.

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Thu May 15, 2008 11:56 am

This talk of breastfeeding support got me thinking - I would love to help out other mums with breastfeeding, but I'm not sure how I could. Does anyone have any ideas?

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#9 Unread post by Lynsey » Sun May 18, 2008 12:43 pm

You could train as a peer supporter for the NHS - it was under Surestart but it's all changed recently. If you need contact info let me know I'd be happy to help.

weezypops
Site Guru

#10 Unread post by weezypops » Sun May 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Yes please, any info you can give me would be great! You could either post it here or PM me.

Skylark
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Breastfeeding Support Thread

#11 Unread post by Skylark » Sun May 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I have breastfed both of my girls. DD1 til she was 14 months and self weaned and still going with DD2 who is almost 1. I am surprised at how few of my antinatal group were still feeding at 6 months and not I am the only one of 8 that is still BFing at all. With both I found the first few weeks to be very difficult and sore. I think that the mantra "if you are doing it right it doesn't hurt" is a bit misleading as I had my latch checked several times and it was fine. If we were natural women in a different culture that did not look after our boobs quite so well, by wrapping them up in lovely soft bras, keeping them out of the sun and creamed up to with body lotions then perhaps it would not hurt. I believe that unless you have nips of steel it will hurt while you are both getting the hang of it. Once you have it aced though it is so easy. I have loved feeding both of mine. I know that DD2 will probably start to wean soon but I am so happy that I have given them both this start. DD2 recently got chickenpox and she increased her feeds as she was feeling unwell. I don't know if it was that but she has a very mild case and was fine within 2 days of getting the spots. I believe that my antibodies definately helped her reduce the severity of the illnes

MrsG
Explorer
Explorer

#12 Unread post by MrsG » Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Anyone know of any breastfeeding groups in southend / westcliff that welcome extended breastfeeders (and their siblings)?
Image Image

Skylark
Newborn
Newborn

#13 Unread post by Skylark » Sun May 02, 2010 7:30 pm

MrsG wrote:Anyone know of any breastfeeding groups in southend / westcliff that welcome extended breastfeeders (and their siblings)?
No, but perhaps we should start one :D

MrsG
Explorer
Explorer

#14 Unread post by MrsG » Sun May 02, 2010 8:04 pm

we can share good comebacks to the "are you still feeding him/her" & "You should have weened them off you by now" remarks ;)
Image Image

weezypops
Site Guru

#15 Unread post by weezypops » Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Interesting question! I'm planning on meeting the woman at Blenheim at some point soon so will ask her for her thoughts on the matter.

Return to “Parenting”