babychic

Potty Training

weezypops
Site Guru

Potty Training

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 pm

So, Dexter is doing really well with the potty training for the most part - he's been weeing consistently on the potty apart from maybe one or sometimes two accidents a day. He is able to hold it for a short while when we are out on the school run and will tell me when he needs to go. For the most part he is really proud of himself when he goes. He has also been napping without a nappy and is mainly dry in the mornings.

However, poo is a different issue - he has been on the potty a few times but every day we get to the end of the day and he hasn't been, doesn't want to go etc. and gets himself in a flap about it. Tonight at bedtime he didn't want to go on the potty, didn't want to wear a nappy but didn't want to have the potty in his room if he didn't wear a nappy.

I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to push him if he isn't ready but he's doing so well with the wee side of things it feels like we just have to get over this hurdle. With the older two, once they had done a poo on the potty and realised it was fine it was straightforward from there but he still seems quite nervous of it.

Did any of you have children who showed this sort of resistance? What did you do?

Tracyx
Lover
Lover

Re: Potty Training

#2 Unread post by Tracyx » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Louise,
Freddie was exactly like this, he would wait til I put his nappy on at night to do a poo. I just had to persevere and it took ages. He even took his nappy off and did it behind the armchair. I had murders. Have you maybe tried a big chocolate treat when he does it on the potty, or maybe a seat on the toilet rather than a potty. The hospital told us (with Tiannahs constipation) to have the seat on the toilet with a stool so they sit with their feet up while trying, it definitely helped with her as she hated the potty.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Tracy - that's why I bought James a potty chair so that he was in the correct position when sitting - problem now is that he is too comfortable on the potty chair.

William always waited for bedtime nappy too - well - actually - he trained himself to do his poo like 4 mins before we took the nappy off and put pants on and he did this until he was almost 4 as he wasn't dry at night until the week before his 4th birthday.

A lot of children struggle with poo. I am on a potty training forum and there are loads of children who have been 100% dry for months and months but every poo goes in the pants.

I am presuming that you would rather it out in the pants than in at this stage to make him happy and comfortable? We find hide and seek makes a poo come and just plenty of fruit. Or shreddies - shreddies can keep it all going regular. We sort of used some of the 3 day method guidelines with James - where you never say 'do you need a wee/poo?' but talk about clean and dry pants and whether the child likes dirty pants. Worked with James although he is still not great with getting to the potty quite in time/or if in time then with no time to spare iykwim?

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 pm

He doesn't want to wait until he has a nappy on, so that's something! In fact he is now very anti-nappy entirely and refused to have it on last night or tonight so looks like we're going for night time dryness too. He genuinely seems worried by the poo coming out. He managed to do a poo on the potty today though and although he wasn't happy about it, he was pleased that he'd done it. However, I did notice that whereas with a wee he is really keen to see it, get rid of it etc. with the poo he cried when he saw it and wanted it taken away straightaway, so he really does seem bothered by it!

I talked to him a lot today about how it was good to get the poo out because it was just waste and that otherwise he would get a tummy ache etc. so I'm hoping that helps. it's not that he has a problem going, he just seems to be trying to hold it in - yesterday he had an accident because he was trying to hold it in and couldn't any more, and that really upset him too. He just seems to hate anything to do with it!

Schmushe
Blissful

#5 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm

Have you tried putting him on the toilet? I know hes still quite young but Josh would never use the potty and went straight to the toilet and Alexa (well you must remember how she was with using other peoples toilets) - she would actually do it anywhere other than in the potty but as soon as we put her on the toilet to do it, it seemed like that was the thing that made her happier. We used to turn the kids round to face the cistern so they didnt fall in to the toilet.

When I used to work in nurseries it was all about 'loss' with toddlers, weirdly it is something that belongs to them and is a strange feeling coming out. When it is in the nappy it is all they really know and unlike wee it is a completly different feel and area of the body.

Well done though, he has done really well.

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 pm

Yeah, he's not keen on the toilet at all and just cries! I'm going to get a seat to see if that helps.

A friend of mine said the same thing about losing part of themselves - such a bizarre concept but I can see how it might be a thing - that's one of the reasons I've been trying to get him to understand it's something that needs to come out. I think because he's still quite little it's a tough thing to explain though.

He has done well though, you're right. If you'd told me a fortnight ago we would be this far into potty training I would have laughed!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 am

We are genetically designed to hate the sight and smell of our own (and other people's) poo. This is something that humans have to stop us from wanting to touch or look at it as our bodies know there are germs and harmful bacteria in it. Maybe Dexters sense of 'the dangers of poo' are just stronger. (Yes - me and WIlliam watched a documentary on poo - OMG - I wanted to throw up but it was actually very interesting!)

Return to “Parenting”