babychic

Crying 'it' out

Sez
Baby
Baby

Crying 'it' out

#1 Unread post by Sez » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi All,

I know it's a bit controversial, but has anyone tried a CIO technique?

My boy has always been a superstar overnight. I got in a set routine and he just took himself off; even if wide awake. However, the last few nights he has decided he doesn't want to go to sleep. Now I know he is clean, fed, at a good temperature, not ill (his teething has subsided) etc. so shouldn't have any reason to be uncomfortable.

I don't feel comfortable with the complete cold Turkey CIO where I leave him, I was more considering the reassure after 5 minutes by repeating the good night kiss and turn his mobile on and leave again, then do it after 10 minutes, then 15 etc. Is this a suitable technique or is it best to let him cry in his room (whilst I probably cry outside)?

I would really like some advice? I don't want this behaviour to become his norm, as it won't help him, or mummy, in the long run, but I feel like I'm being so mean...

Thanks in advance all.
❤️❤️ Mummy to Callum 20/3/2014 and Finley 19/2/2018 ❤️❤️

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Crying 'it' out

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:06 am

Is he only three months? I really wouldn't try any CIO at that age. Just my opinion but I think they are much too young to understand. So much can change with them as they get older and it could be the beginning of seperation anxiety, in which case CIO would probably make him feel more scared. As I say, this is just my opinion and as I'm not really a fan of it at any age I appreciate others have different opinions but I feel at this age they should be comforted to sleep rather than forced to self-settle as they are still so tiny. You're welcome to take or leave my opinion though!

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Crying 'it' out

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Just adding, I've found the same as Lorna in the comments below - mine haven't always been great sleepers so perhaps you don't want advice from me but they have usually been settled by reassurance etc. which is one thing that's always kept me away from CIO - I want them to go to sleep happily, not give up because they don't think anyone is coming. But I do understand why people do it and it does seem to work in getting them to sleep!

Return to “Parenting”