babychic

At what age...

weezypops
Site Guru

At what age...

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I've been thinking, do we all have different ideas about what age you would let your kids do certain things, or are there generally accepted rules?

So, just for fun at what age (if ever - I realise there are some things some parents would never allow) would you let your kid:

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised
* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised
* Play in the garden unsupervised
* Take a bath by themselves
* Cook dinner for themselves
* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults
* Walk/get the bus to school alone
* Go to town/the city with a friend
* Have a friend to stay
* Stay at a friend's house
* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house
* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house
* Go out with friends at night
* Stay out past midnight
* Drink alcohol
* Go on holiday with friends
* Get a mobile phone
* Have their ears pierced
* Get a tattoo
* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay

If anyone has any others to add, I will! I'll add my own thoughts later.

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by artyfartymack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:14 pm

Oooh this is a good one. Ok here goes:

year - 18 months (Tom does now for short spells but I'm on the same floor and only in the adjacent room)

If it was all fenced in and safe etc 2 onwards

18 months/2 (Tom does for very brief moments if I answer the door/phone etc. Again I live on one floor so I'm only in the adjacent room. He splashes so loudly and makes so much noise I'd notice the second anything was wrong LOL)

I couldn't possibly say it depends on maturity, height to reach the stove etc, etc. Perhaps 7 or 8?

Street (if safe) 5 or 6
Park (11)

* Have a friend to stay

4?

4?

17 if both parents consented

16 with a curfew and being dropped off and picked up etc

* Stay out past midnight

* Drink alcohol

16 at home, 17 in a pub etc (Going by what I did and my parents allowed)

* Get a mobile phone

11 (I see no point in kids having phones until senior school)

* Get a tattoo

Hopefully never but if they must 18

Seperate rooms 15. sharing beds 17 as long as both parents consented.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#3 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:37 pm

For me there would be a number of contributing factors that would affect my opinions and decisions about ages to do the following. But if i have responsible, well behaved children and living in an area that is classed as pretty much safe then these are the following ages i would probably allow the following...

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - 5yrs old (This is going by Faith, she is perfectly fine playing alone and is very danger aware)
* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - Never in my bedroom, bathroom or kitchen, to me they are just not rooms for playing in
* Play in the garden unsupervised - if i have a safe garden, in a mid terrace house and know and are happy with my neighbours then as soon as they are danger aware, so about 5-6yrs
* Take a bath by themselves - around 5 i think, again this is going by Faith who is very responsible, although we are still upstairs where we can hear whats going on
* Cook dinner for themselves - hmm im not sure about this one, i think i was about 8 when i started doing my own toast, but a full dinner, probably about 11 or 12, providing they know how to use everything
* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults - I have no idea, i was only about 6 when i started playing out, but my road was very safe then and all the kids played out, but now, probably not until about 8 or 9 at the earliest without being in sight of any adults
* Walk/get the bus to school alone- year 5 or 6 depending on the area and the child, i was start of year 6 when i walked to and from school alone, so between 9 and 11
* Go to town/the city with a friend - If i have a well behaved child then id probably let them go to town with a friend at around 12-13
* Have a friend to stay - Around 8 i think, about the same age i was
* Stay at a friend's house - same as above, about 8yrs
* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - 13-14 at the earliest, again depending if my children are responsible or not, and know how to cook safely.
* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - about 16 i think
* Go out with friends at night - depends where to, if somewhere set like a meal, cinema etc then about 14, providing they are picked up and dropped home by a parent
* Stay out past midnight - again, if somewhere set, or a party (with adults there) then probably about 14-15 if they are dropped home safely by a parent
* Drink alcohol - i will let them have a taster, eg 1 small glass of wine at xmas ONLY from about 11 or 12, this is because my mum gave me tasters at xmas of a glass of wine from about 8 or 9, and i believe that is the reason ive never gone mad about it or drank on the streets like some teenagers.
* Go on holiday with friends - if with their parents then from about 12 or 13, if alone then about 17
* Get a mobile phone - hmm, not sure, depends on reasons of wanting a phone, probably when they start secondary school though, so 11-12
* Have their ears pierced - whenever they want for first holes, second holes (if wanted) probably 13+
* Get a tattoo - The legal age, 18, but even then id advise them to choose a design and wait 6months - a year to see if they still want it, and convince them as much as possible not to get a cartoon character as they are the ones people regret the most, along with gf/bf names or initials
* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - If im home then 15-16, but only if they have been with them a few months minimum

Im probably alot more relaxed about ages than some people because i want to be like my mum with an attitude of, id rather know what they are doing and have it being done under my roof safely (excluding smoking and drugs, and excessive drinking) than not knowing and them doing it on the streets. My mum always used to say to me, within reason, she'll never tell me not to do something, because im more likely to do it elsewhere behind her back, instead do it safely and responsibly. And thats in regards to drinking, relationships, clubs/pubs and sex.
With her having that attitude i truely believe thats why i never drank on the streets, nor at home except at xmas. And she knew everything i did, and i never kept secrets from her.
ImageImage
ImageImage

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by artyfartymack » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 pm

I feel exactly the same as you Claire, my parents were strict but never said never and I grew up to be a nice kid and was never trouble.

I should also point out re the playing alone thing that when I say Tom does it now! It's only 'ever' in our lounge, his bedroom and hall which are baby proofed and I am only ever in the next door room. If he ventures into the kitchen, bathroom or our bedroom he is whisked out unless I'm in there too!

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:19 pm

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - probably 18 months

* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - 2

* Play in the garden unsupervised - 2

* Take a bath by themselves - 4

* Cook dinner for themselves - 11? Depends on how well they can cook, I suppose

* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults - 7/8 (depends on neighbourhood and friends)

* Walk/get the bus to school alone - 10

* Go to town/the city with a friend - 12

* Have a friend to stay - 7

* Stay at a friend's house - 7

* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - 13

* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - 17

* Go out with friends at night - 13 (16 if we're talking pubs etc.)

* Stay out past midnight - 16

* Drink alcohol - 12 or so at home, with a meal. 16 with friends.

* Go on holiday with friends - 17

* Get a mobile phone - 14/15

* Have their ears pierced - 12

* Get a tattoo - 18

* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - 17

Schmushe
Blissful

#6 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - 12 months+ I live in a flat!

* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - 12 months+ - cannot be in the same room all the time with them! Also i'm in a flat so its not really a major issue

* Play in the garden unsupervised- as my garden is quiet far away probably 7+, if it was right outside my backdoor then probably 5

* Take a bath by themselves - 4 yrs old

* Cook dinner for themselves - 8 years old

* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults - hmmm, tricky - dont trust people nowadays, probably about 7ish!

* Walk/get the bus to school alone - 8+

* Go to town/the city with a friend - 10+

* Have a friend to stay - any age - Josh has had friends to stay since about 2!

* Stay at a friend's house - any age - Josh has satyed over friends since about 2!

* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - 10+

* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - 15+ Although my Dh wouldnt agree

* Go out with friends at night - 16+

* Stay out past midnight - 16+

* Drink alcohol - 18+

* Go on holiday with friends - if with other adults - 12+, if not then over 16

* Get a mobile phone - 12+

* Have their ears pierced - Alexa's already got hers done! This isnt a issue for me

* Get a tattoo - 17+

* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - 15+ Although my Dh wouldnt agree!

[/b]

lemonie17
Player
Player

#7 Unread post by lemonie17 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:19 pm

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - when they are able to get around..providing safe of course!

* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - 12 months+ obviously only really means the lounge..wouldnt let them play in the kitchen or bathroom anyway!

* Play in the garden unsupervised- 2-3 depends on the child...if you know they are smart enough to take reasonable care, but if theres a pond (which our new house did, we set very strong boundarys...courtney was only 3 at the time, so she was allowed nowhere near it..but we have a HUGE garden over 165' so plenty of other room to play!

* Take a bath by themselves - 2-3 yrs old but i would be in and out all the time anyway. plus my two are so noisy you can hear them miles away usually singing!

* Cook dinner for themselves - Charlie was ten when he made his first cup of tea, but Courtney cooks toast now..has done since she was 6. She also made me a surprisse cuppa, which tasted lovely, but i went mad at her..she wanted to be helpful...but the tought of a 7 yr old with a boiling kettle just makes me cringe! making an entire meal...wen i felt they could handle it..courtney will be ready to do it before Charlie!

* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults - Charlie was 5, but we lived a small cul-de-sac, in Barling.very safe and quiet. There was always an adult watching. But Courtney has never been allowed outside to play o the street, we live on a main road now. So charlie isnt allowed either.

* Walk/get the bus to school alone - 11...i have oly just allowed Charlie to walk as he goes to senior school now!

* Go to town/the city with a friend - 12..probably..charlie hasnt even asked yet...and i'm only just brave enough to let him walk to and ffrom school now!!

* Have a friend to stay - any age - as long as the child is happy to stay.

* Stay at a friend's house - any age - Courtney has stayed at peoples house since she was 3ish...she loves it..will stay anywhere, even people she's just met, she'll ask if she have a sleepover!

* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - 10+ but only for short periods.

* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - 15+ Although would depend on the child and the b/f or g/f...how long they'd known them, whether i trusted them....( i remember being that age..and i know what i got up to!)

* Go out with friends at night - 16+ depemds...courtney has Charlie who is 4 years older, if he took her somewhere when he was 16-17 she'd oly be 12/13..so if was to movies, i'd trust him to take care of her...probably!

* Stay out past midnight - 16+ depends why!

* Drink alcohol - Charlie tried my tia maria and coke and liked it! so he has a sip now andagain...plus sometimes hes allowed a very very weak shandy.

* Go on holiday with friends - if with other adults - 15+, if not then over 18..or 25 if i can enforce it!

* Get a mobile phone - 11, charlie got one for his 11th birthday in june, ready for senior school in the september.

* Have their ears pierced - Courtney asked for ers to be done at 3ish...she was warned it would hurt, but still wanted it done. Charlie isnt allowed his done, OH hates boys with pierced ears!

* Get a tattoo - 18+ although i have 3, i would advise them to be very very very sure about what they have. i love mine!

* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - no idea yet..will cross that bridge when we get there! I would like to think i would be logical anout it, ie-they're gonna do it, so i might as well know they're safe doing it! but i might not feel logical when it happens!
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/lemonie17/summerfunsiggy.jpg[/img]

lemonie17
Player
Player

#8 Unread post by lemonie17 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 pm

i think hese are very easy to jump to an answer...specially if the thing is years away..charlie is 11.i dont have too long left...and whatever i do for him, i have to do for Courts...so if i say charlie can have a girlfriend to stay at 16-17...i'd have to let her too..and i cant see my OH letting that ahppen till shes been married a few years!!
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/lemonie17/summerfunsiggy.jpg[/img]

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#9 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Yes thats what i was just wondering, if theres a difference to what you'd let a girl/boy do, my OH says now when we have a girl he thinks he'll be much stricter, wheras being female and independant i know now that one day we will have some big dissagreements!

ariesangel1985
Selling Sexy Wares

#10 Unread post by ariesangel1985 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - Caitlin was about 1, as her bed room was right next to the lounge, plus we have a strategically placed mirror so that we can see into the room from the lounge (its across the hall) Aimee does now, but caitlin is never far behind her.

* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - about 18 months

* Play in the garden unsupervised - dont know havnt crossed that yet a we are in a flat

* Take a bath by themselves - only just leaving the room when Caitlin is in it now, but am still only next door and keep checking her!

* Cook dinner for themselves - hmmmmmm....prob bout 12/13

* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults - about 11/12 when they start secondary school

* Walk/get the bus to school alone - about 11/12 when they start secondary school

* Go to town/the city with a friend - same again

* Have a friend to stay - about 10

* Stay at a friend's house - same again

* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - about 11/12 when they start secondary school

* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - lol never!! prob bout 18/19

* Go out with friends at night - prob about 18/19

* Stay out past midnight - same again

* Drink alcohol - my parents let me have a bottle of hooch at xmas and special occasions, and occasionally on holiday from about 11/12, and as i grew up i didnt see the big deal with drinking, as i was allowed to anyway. I will prob be the same with the girls.

* Go on holiday with friends - when they can afford to pay for it themselves!!

* Get a mobile phone - 13

* Have their ears pierced - Caitlin already has

* Get a tattoo - when they are old enough to give me a good enough reason as to why they want one, but at least 18.

* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - lol never!! prob bout 18/19, I was 19 when my parents let me, and it was David lol x Because they trusted him lol little did they know :D

mummyhuggins
Graduate
Graduate

#11 Unread post by mummyhuggins » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:17 pm

* Play in their bedroom unsupervised - 2

* Play in any room of the house (baby-proofed or not) unsupervised - 2

* Play in the garden unsupervised - 3

* Take a bath by themselves - 5 we have only just started to let Paige,but as she always sings we can always hear her.lol

* Cook dinner for themselves - 12

* Play outside in the street/park (if appropriate) with friends and no adults -11/12

* Walk/get the bus to school alone -11/12

* Go to town/the city with a friend - 11/12

* Have a friend to stay - 6

* Stay at a friend's house - 6

* Stay unsupervised at a friend's house - 15

* Stay unsupervised at a girlfriend/boyfriend's house - if dh had his way never but i would say 16

Go out with friends at night - 15

* Stay out past midnight - 17

* Drink alcohol - 12 at home 17 with friends

* Go on holiday with friends- 17/18

* Get a mobile phone -11/12

* Have their ears pierced- 9/10

* Get a tattoo - 18

* Have a boyfriend/girlfriend to stay - well dh would say 30 but i think i would at 17/18
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#12 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Well when he's got his own room i will be baby proofing it so that he can be left in there when i need 5mins, without worrying, but then the door would be left open, i think from about 1ish.

he's not allowed in the kitchen or bathroom to play full stop but the rest harry does now while i wash up or do housework, but the doors are all left open in mine and as with artyfarty, i'm on the same level. plus, harry makes a noise when he see's something he really wants that he's not allowed so i can hear! Or he goes quiet...! I'm happy he's safe now we have a stairgate so he can wander around as he pleases.

about 7 ish i think, its hard to say when its a long way off!

Not for a good while! ....Erm, about 6 i think.

If he's anything like his dad then i should be so lucky if he ever does lol.
If he's willing then i might let him cook beans on toast by 11.

That would very much depend on where i was living, in an ideal world i'd be living in a nice quiet little cul de sac with lovely neighbors who i knew...in that world 7 or 8 for the street. To go to the park with friends i think closer to 10 and even then only if it was close by.

Depends a lot on maturity, i would hope 11, but only if he's mature enough by then, and if he was not alone i.e with friends.

* Have a friend to stay

When he's old enough to want one, maybe 4ish.

never if it was up to me as i'd miss him too much!! Otherwise i think 8.

15 with limits/ kerfew.
* Stay out past midnight
17. I dont want him to be one of those kids outside shops/ petrol stations late night so even then unti he's 18 i'd want to know that he's actually got reason to be out i.e party, at friends house etc, not just sittin around in a park or something.

* Drink alcohol
With me there, 16, without me or a trusted adult 18.

18 with no adults.

* Get a mobile phone

* Get a tattoo

eugh never if i could help it...otherwise 18 but only as i'd have no choice!

seperate rooms from 15, same room...dont want to think about my baby like that for a long while!!

I think doing that makes me think i'm more paranoid/ worrying then i thought i would be!

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#13 Unread post by Clairebear » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm

This is a tricky one, like people have said, it depends a lot on circumstances like the area you live in, but I'll give it a go. It is very interesting that a lot of answers are very different.

We live in a bungalow so any age really, once they are old enough to get about by themselves.

This is a hard one to answer as my two are so different. Ashleigh could be trusted from a very early age as she was never a 'naughty' child, but I still don't trust Sophie in any room alone other than her bedroom and she is nearly three! We have baby gates on the kitchen and on mine and Ashleigh's bedrooms and the bathroom door is always kept shut (it has a very high door handle so Sophie can't reach it) so she can't get in any of those rooms anyway.

We have a pond so I would probably say not until about 5/6. Saying that, though, Ashleigh has only been allowed out there on her own from this summer and she is nine.

Sophie and Ashleigh always used to go in together and with Ashleigh being a fair bit older and the fact that we are in a bungalow, I left them to it from when Sophie was about 18 months. Now, I leave Sophie to play for a while and I go on the computer, which is just outside the bathroom door. Not sure when I would leave her completely alone as she does have a nasty habit of emptying all the bottles and throwing water all over the floor!

Not sure about this one, possibly about 11/12.

I have just started letting Ashleigh go to the park alone as it is just at the top of our road, so about 9/10.

Probably not til about 11/12.

Depends on the child. If sensible and trustworthy then about 13/14.

* Have a friend to stay

If it's children of my friends then any age really but schoolfriends 7 or 8.

Same as above.

Again, depends on the child. Probably about 15.

16/17 if it was a serious(ish) relationship.

If being dropped off and picked up and going somewhere indoors, probably 13/14, if not, 16.

* Stay out past midnight

* Drink alcohol

My dad started giving us a glass of wine with dinner when we were little and it never did us any harm! Ashleigh has half a glass of wine on special occasions like Christmas and New Year and if I have a bottle on our special Friday nights, she has half a glass topped up with lemonade. Out with me, 16, out without me, 18.

If with friends parents and I knew them well, probably 10, if not then 17.

* Get a mobile phone

Ashleigh has just got one because I like to know she has been picked up ok when I am at college. But I did originally say I wouldn't allow it til 13!

Ashleigh had hers done at 4 as she kept nagging and nagging me!

* Get a tattoo

17/18 if a serious(ish) relationship.

chocolatepickle
Parent
Parent

#14 Unread post by chocolatepickle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 pm

I was brought up very strictly by my dad, so maybe thats why i am thinking that way with Harry. I had a curfew of 11pm weekdays at 18! But then i was a bit of a naughty girl probably as a result, not terrible but if i said i was doing one thing i was normally doing another. I was allowed to go to romford (occasionally) at 14 so one day i instead went to central london with my friends under that lie, i often stayed over friends houses so i could go clubbing at 16. I honestly think it would have been safer and i probably wouldnt have done half the stuff i did if he was less strict, as he now is with my sister. (she's the baby and gets away with murder!

xJuliex

Re: At what age...

#15 Unread post by xJuliex » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:12 pm

Interesting topic!

2 for short periods of time though with me looking in sporadically
Same but never Bathroom or Kitchen unsupervised

4 maybe
Meg makes herself light meals like Pasta or toast but this is a recent thing (she's 10)
8 but I need to be able to see tham at all times
This is a bone of contention between Meg and I. I'm thinking 13, she wants to be 11 and I am struggling with letting go but I know this is my issue because 11 is probably well old enough.
* Have a friend to stay
* Stay out past midnight
* Drink alcohol
With me around 16, 17 if I am not.
* Get a mobile phone
10 (as she has one but Nanny got it for her, not me
From 5 but she's too scared too
* Get a tattoo
never, I hope but 18 if she must lol

I think I am a bit strict and I have no idea why because my parents weren't very.
Julie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmxxn8N/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wmxxn8N/weight.png[/img]

Return to “Parenting”