babychic

Hi Everyone!! Relocating to Colchester soon!!

Incudes Abberton, Fingringhoe, Marks Tey, Myland, Stanway, Tiptree, West Mersea Wivenhoe, West Bergholt, Mersea Island
Petal123
Newborn
Newborn

Hi Everyone!! Relocating to Colchester soon!!

#1 Unread post by Petal123 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi All!
My name is Petra, and I am looking at relocating to Colchester soon, with my daughter, and my partner.
I live in Lancashire at the moment and hate it! Am looking for some help on a few things,Schools, Rainbows, and drama or dance classes! My little girl goes to Rainbows and drama class at the moment, and thought it would help her settle! (even though she is very confident and adaptable!) I've seen a few schools, the one that has caught my eye at the moment s Montgomerys Infant school, I've had a look outside and looks good, anybody know of it, or children go there? The Ofsted results are fab!! Also, Rainbows, I've seen a few in the same area, anybody know of one that is good?! Finally, dance or Drama Classes, don't want to/can't afford to pay a term, I currently pay £3.50 a class up north, and looking for something along those lines!! Can anybody help?!?
Thankyou, and looking forward to being part of the forum, and Colchester!, :)

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Hi Everyone!! Relocating to Colchester soon!!

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Petra, welcome to the forum! I'm not near you so can't give any personal experience I'm afraid, but you might like to try here for some ideas: www.essexmums.org/colchester.html. Hopefully some people nearer you can help too!

Anyway, hope to get to chat to you some more - I'm Louise and I live in Southend with my husband Kester and two kids, Felix and Iris who are 4 and nearly 2.

Jeanette
The Nanny

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Hi Petra. :D
Welcome to Essex Mums.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

StellaNova
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by StellaNova » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Petra!

I moved to Colchester from London just over a year ago, although I knew it a bit as I went to school here. I'm not going to be much help I am afraid, as I have two boys so I don't know about Rainbows! I don't know about Montgomery school either. The school in our bit of Colchester that everyone seems to be vying to get their kids into is Hamilton Road, we went and looked around it and it is lovely although a bit cramped, but if you don't live in the catchment area it seems you don't have much of a hope of getting in. Also near here is Prettygate school which we looked around and absolutely loved, have put down as first choice for our 4 year old but don't know if he will get in. We did make the mistake when we moved of not really finding out about exact catchment areas as it seems most good schools in Colchester are oversubscribed so you really have to live within the catchment or priority admission area as they call it.

In terms of drama, I believe the Mercury theatre does some drama classes through some of the children's centres http://www.mercurytheatre.co.uk/get-inv ... rly-years/, I don't know how old your little girl is, and I don't know if you have to pay upfront?

Sorry to be so unhelpful. I have found Colchester to be very welcoming, the Castle park is lovely and HIgh Woods country park, and Jungle Adventure is a great soft play. Are you moving to the Berechurch area or haven't you decided yet? How old is your little girl?

Charlotte

Petal123
Newborn
Newborn

#5 Unread post by Petal123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:03 am

Hey Everyone!
Thanks fr your help,and the welcome!!
StellaNova(Charlotte)thank you, you have been very helpful, I emailed the mercury group about the theatre group, as there is a waiting list, best to get on it now I thought, its £35-£40 a term, which equates to what I pay now! I looked at Prettygate school, and may be looking at Prettygate to live,we are renting at first, so also depends where we get! We have my partners family near Montgomery, so not far from there we are looking at! I did look at Montgomery, it looks lovely, and a lot of Military children attend, and can leave mid year, so thought may be more chance to get in! Also, I'm hoping if I just say...HELP!! I need a place,haha!!!!!!
I love it here Charlotte, my situation is complicated, I'm from a town in Lancashire, that s terrible, I hate everything there, people,my job, and my ex is very religious, and the courts won't get involved with stopping him forcing his religion on my girl,which really upsets her, so, I thought, best for her I let her just be a kid, and he doesn't see her quite as much, lessen the damage. I'm hoping court will let me move, I've heard it's hard to stop me, I just need to get my case together why Colchester is such a great place to bring up my child, any help greatly received!! I know I'm coming from one of the unhealthiest places to live in uk, to Colchester being a very healthy place to live, also the education is supposed to be fab too! Keep your fingers crossed for me the court let me come!!!!
Thanks for your help, and kind wishes! X

grace1204
Newborn
Newborn

#6 Unread post by grace1204 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Hi Petra hope u r settling in ok I came to Colchester from Ireland and I like it here I have an 8 yr old girl let me know if u fancy a chat :+)

PSiloveyou!
Newborn
Newborn

#7 Unread post by PSiloveyou! » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:51 pm

Hello everyone ive been in Colchester for just a year and still haven't spoken to any local mums :-) if anyone fancys a chat I'm more than happy to be spoken too :-) x

MummyMay12
Newborn
Newborn

#8 Unread post by MummyMay12 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi,

I'm a first time mum and live in Colchester. My daughter is 6 months old and I would like to meet more local mums and get to know local groups/activites. Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

weezypops
Site Guru

#9 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 pm

PSIloveyou and MummyMay12 - welcome to the site! You might find if you start your own intro thread more people will notice it and come and say hello. Or you can just dive straight in and come and say hello in the daily thread (today's has the title September 11th I think) as we do a lot of chatting in there and it's a nice way of getting to know people.

Return to “Colchester”