babychic

New to the forum... and to Britain!

Includes Hutton, Pilgrims Hatch, Shenfield, South Weald, Doddinghurst, Ingatestone, Fryerning, Kelvedon Hatch, Mountnessing, Ingrave, West Horndon
Vitalline
Newborn
Newborn

New to the forum... and to Britain!

#1 Unread post by Vitalline » Tue May 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello, my name is Celine and I come from the french-speaking part of Switzerland. I just move to Shenfield 2 months ago with my husband and our 2 daughters. The eldest is Joanne, she is 4 and attend a preschool every mornings except mondays. The youngest is Noemie, she is 21 months.

I don't know a lot of people around here (except my butcher :wink: ) and I like to meet other mothers in the area of Shenfield-Hutton-Brentwood.

We speak french at home but I really want my daughters to speak english as quickly as possible and I'd like to improve mine as well. Therefore, I think the best was would be to practice english with friends!

I'd also like to chat a little about the way children are raised here in britain (as far as I've seen till now, there are some differences with switzerland!) and also to get a piece of advice about babysitting because my husband and I would also like sometime to enjoy Essex night life :lol:

I really look forward to reading from you!

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: New to the forum... and to Britain!

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Tue May 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Celine, welcome to Essex and to the UK! I'm Louise, I'm 33 and live in Westcliff with my husband Kester and our two kids, Felix who is 4 and at school, and Iris who just turned 3.

I'm intrigued, what have you found different so far?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Tue May 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi there

I'm not from your local area but wanted to say Hi and Welcome to the forum! I am Jenny from Southend and have a 5 year old and a 15 month old.

Looking forward to finding out more about you and happy to help you out with any info you need!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#4 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue May 22, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Celine. :D
Welcome to Essex Mums.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed May 23, 2012 10:45 am

Hey ya and welcome to essexmums x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Gina73 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi and welcome to EssexMums. I am not from your area but thought I would say hi.

I am Gina, mum to Mia and Mason, we live in Westcliff.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

Vitalline
Newborn
Newborn

#7 Unread post by Vitalline » Thu May 24, 2012 10:38 pm

Thank you!

Amazing this welcome!!!

I was (and try to keep) very active on a forum in switzerland... It was different and I'm a bit lost here but I soon will get used to it.

I must also apologise for my english... I'm not fluent as you may have seen but it is also a good exercice to chat with you (don't hesitate to correct my mistakes!).

Louise, you were asking what was different in the way of raising children here... Not such important things but what I've seen so far:
- you often hold you toddler with a lash... You'll never see that in Switzerland, except on the ski slopes! But it can be sooooo unseful!
- there's a lot of toddlers activities and playgroups running from 1pm to 3pm, it's exactly the time when most of our chuldren sleep (nap)... When do yours sleep during the day?
- your children are generally very calm, disciplined and respect the rules more than us... (it is also the case for adults!!!)
- your toddlesr are, to my point of view, more often in a buggy than ours and you have multiple-chuldren buggies that impress me alot!
- british children go to school earlier than swiss children and swiss pupils never wear uniforms! That was a shock for me, but I like it and I think swiss school should have a uniform as well!

That's what I'm thinking about now, if you have any other ideas, I would love to read them!!!

Cheers

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Your English seems fine to me - don't worry about that!

So what age do Swiss children start school?

I think most toddler groups tend to be the mornings, though there are some at those sorts of times - I agree they're quite awkward though!

Return to “Brentwood”