babychic

Should Dad's be at the birth of their child?

Ask qualified counsellor Amanda Wilkins any questions you have about emotional wellbeing, particularly within the pre natal and post natal period.
amanda.counsellor
Newborn
Newborn

Should Dad's be at the birth of their child?

#1 Unread post by amanda.counsellor » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Last week I had a presentation to prepare for, and I wanted to find out what the current percentage was for dads being present at the birth, so I googled it. To my surprise I stumbled accross an online newspaper article which talked about why men should never be at the birth of thier child. Top obstetrician Michel Odent was interviewed and talks about why he believes men should stay well away from the delivery room. Some will agree with Michel's feelings on the subject, whilst others will feel outraged. Initially, I felt Michel was wrong and yet when I read the article I began to wonder could he be right?

What do you feel on the matter?

If you would like to read the article, here is the link;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... child.html

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Should Dad's be at the birth of their child?

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:20 pm

I don't agree with him. My husband was present at the birth of two of our children but not the third as he arrived too quickly and I found having him there really important, especially in the first where it was all so unknown. Having his support was important to me and I know for him it was an amazing experience - he says he found me awe-inspiring to watch and felt a deeper connection to me and to our babies for having witnessed it. I guess your experience would be different if your partner was a bit useless or not very supportive but I for one wouldn't have wanted to do it alone.

RAJEIT
Newborn
Newborn

#3 Unread post by RAJEIT » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:03 pm

I was present at both of my sons births. I had the miracle of cutting my first born's placenta - second was a cee....
Two very different births and an unforgettable experience each time.

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Kester cut Iris's cord (our second) - he was too emotional to do it first time round!

amanda.counsellor
Newborn
Newborn

#5 Unread post by amanda.counsellor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:40 pm

(Continued from my previous post) My father in law was present for my husbands birth in 1969. He was a pioneer, in my opinion! So, does anyone know the percentage of dads being at todays births? Hmmmm........

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:43 pm

I would assume pretty high! I'd be surprised if someone said their husband/boyfriend wasn't there. If they're not together with the dad maybe but otherwise I would expected them to be there.

Return to “Ask the Counsellor”