babychic

Returning to work but lost confidence

Are you are working mum who needs some advice, or are you looking for help to get you back into work? Come and ask our Working Mums Coach from The Pickle Shed
juliemummy
Newborn
Newborn

Returning to work but lost confidence

#1 Unread post by juliemummy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

Hi there

I'd love to find out how on earth I can boost my confidence to get back to work. I've been a fully time mum for five years and feel so much has changed in the work place in that time (especially with technology).

How do I get back into work mode? I used to work as a legal secretary.

Yours desperately,

Julie

thepickleshed
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Returning to work but lost confidence

#2 Unread post by thepickleshed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Julie,

Getting back to work after 5 years is always going to be challenging because not only have there been huge changes in the office but you probably feel like a totally different person to the one who left to have a family.

The good news is that rebuilding your confidence is a process to be taken one step at a time and I suggest that you begin with a bit of reminiscing! Start by thinking of a time when you were feeling really good about yourself in a working environment. Think about where you were, who you were with, how you were dressed and what you were doing. Once you can picture the old you, hold that thought and enjoy the feeling it gives you.

Now it's time to think of ways to re-invent yourself, combining the old you with the new updated version of yourself, including all the skills you've learned along the way. Start with the end in mind and think about what you want to achieve - you need to understand your reason for going back to work in order to get it right. There's no point getting a job or setting up your own business if it's not going to give you what you want so be honest with yourself about how many hours you want to work, how far you're prepared to travel, how much you need to earn and what sort of environment will be right for you.

One final suggestion - talk to other mums and share your thoughts. You might be surprised to discover that almost everyone feels the same way but thinks they're the only one!

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on.

Cheryl (Pickle Shed Coach)

Return to “Ask the Working Mums Coach”