babychic

Opening hairstylists in Essex

Ask our business expert Claire Conby any questions you have about starting up or running your own business.
elsexy
Newborn
Newborn

Opening hairstylists in Essex

#1 Unread post by elsexy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:41 am

Hello Claire, my name's El. I was just after a little advice on opening a new hair salon. I've recently completed all of my certification and am now qualified so the next step would be to open up my own salon. Do you think it would be worth me starting=off working from home to build-up a client base first? I would really like to open my own salon and have the money to do it but I'm aware that its a big commitment and there's already a lot of salons out there. Maybe there's certain places you could recommend that aren't so densely populated? I've just moved to Southend so obviously there or the surrounding areas would suit me better but I don't mind a short commute if necessary. I do have a young daughter too who's in primary school so I have to figure that in too. Any advice on the subject would be great, thankyou. El.

elsexy
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Opening hairstylists in Essex

#2 Unread post by elsexy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:48 am

I'm guessing you're a busy lady so I'm going to post another thread in the general chat section to see what the moms of Essex think. I know that if I do decide to open a shop, wherever it may be in Essex, i'll need to stand out from the crowd and offer something different. For me, a hairstylists has to feel a bit classy so obviously I'd want top of the range gear inside and make sure all the furnishings are done to a high standard. I want to splash out on some good chairs for the workstations, for the wash area and for the reception as comfort is really important. It goes without saying that my scissors, razors, blowers and all that kind of thing, need to be first class. I've got an arts background so I'd like to give the place a unique paint job that you won't see anywhere else in town. I want there to be this real surprise element when people walk in through the door. I've just been looking at a reception desk for sale online at this for sale website and found a nice bespoke one that looks really cool. I'd love something like that with a cool design already so that I can jut then add a splash of colour myself. Anyway, I wanted to ask other moms what they think about design and what they'd like to see that's not already been done in the area. I was after advice on the business side of things more from yourself as I'd like your opinion on how successful a salon can be numbers wise if you do it right. Getting the right balance with the amount you charge is key as I have to be competitive but still make good money.

Return to “Ask the Business Expert”