babychic

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Ask Lisa Clegg author of The Blissful Baby Expert and Lynsey Calvert from Mothering Matters questions you have regarding dealing with everything baby-related.
weezypops
Site Guru

If it ain't broke don't fix it?

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:38 am

Dexter is three months today and since about six weeks old has slept brilliantly - too good to be true brilliantly. He has a feed somewhere between 8 and 10, then sleeps until 5. In the last couple of weeks he's been going until 6.30 or so. Pretty much every morning we wake up astonished that he did it again, especially as he's breastfed too.

At the moment he sleeps in a moses basket next to our bed but the other day we were discussing whether we should put him in his cot in his room as he sleeps so well. The pro, as far as I can see is mainly that he's less likely to complain about it now than he would at six months, which is when we would usually do it so it might be a nice time to try if it can keep the pattern going once he's moved. The major con is that he sleeps so well, what if we move him and it disrupts everything. It seems a shame to change things when it's all going well and we're perfectly happy with him in the room.

I just thought I'd see what you thought. To be honest, it's totally hypothetical as I'm not sure we're ready to have him in a separate room yet anyway! We're just discussing the possibility.

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

Re: If it ain't broke don't fix it?

#2 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Louise
Well done to Dexter, and you! He is obviously getting enough breast milk during the day to be able to mange to sleep for a long period overnight. You may find as he gets closer to weaning age that may change slightly. If he begins waking early again then just ensure his last top up feed is somewhere between 10-11pm-that should prevent any night wakings due to hunger and help him continue to sleep through until 7am.

With regard to moving him to his own room-every parent is different as to when they are ready to do this. There is no hard and fast rule as to when most do it. I know the new guidelines recommend keeping baby in your room for the first 6 months but some parents have the space issue to deal with. Once baby grows out of the Moses basket there is not always room to have a cot in your bedroom.

You are right that he is less likely to notice the transition to a different room now-rather than in another 3 months.
Whenever you do it though, it's important that you are consistent. He may be unsettled for the first couple of nights and need some reassurance as you put him to bed, but if you stick at it he will soon get used to it!

You could make the transition easier on him (and you) by putting him in his own room for daytime sleeps. That will help get him used to that room. Or even just oing in there for a kick around and play on the floor before bath time.
Blackout blinds and curtains are very important in any room baby sleeps in too.

Hope all that helps
Good luck whenever you decide to do it.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:15 pm

AS he's quite small he still fits in the basket well enough, and we have enough space in our room for it - perhaps we'll wait until he grows out of it and move him then. Oh, we already have blackout blinds - as he's moving into his sister's old room and she was a terrible sleeper we are well prepared for that!

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#4 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 pm

That's good. Mine were all giant babies-1st born 9lb 3 at birth and put on almost 1lb per week for first 8 weeks. He grew out of his Moses basket by 6 weeks as he was already about 14lb, so had to move him into cot in his own room then.
With my other two I waited until we dropped the night feed which was by 10 weeks. They both moved into their own rooms then which is similar to what many of the mums I work with tend to do.
It varies as to when each parent is ready for that transition though and there is no right or wrong.
Good luck

Return to “Ask the Baby Expert”