babychic

Getting 15 month old to sleep in a bed

Ask Lisa Clegg author of The Blissful Baby Expert and Lynsey Calvert from Mothering Matters questions you have regarding dealing with everything baby-related.
Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

Re: Getting 15 month old to sleep in a bed

#46 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 am

Fantastic news!!! Long may it continue!! ;-)

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#47 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:09 am

How have your last couple of nights been?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#48 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:04 am

Hi lisa, Tabitha has been sleeping quite well although she seems to wake up about 11-12 so i go in and stay for awhile and i'm having to cover the window as its pretty light and she's been waking about 4/5 am but last night with the window covered she woke up at 11.30 but once back asleep slept till 6.30 but my sleep is still broken but better.

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#49 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am

Great things have improved Gill. I am a great believer in making a room as dark as poss for sleep-blackout blinds and curtains at every window really help children sleep better and resettle quicker when they do come into a light sleep. Definitely a worthy investment! Thanks for the update and so glad you have your bed back again!

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#50 Unread post by Gillybean » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:14 pm

yeah we used to have black blinds in the old house but we can't put up proper curtains or blinds as the walls are terrible and crumble when you try to drill so we make do with net curtain wire and hooks lol

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#51 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Lol.
Another option to try is something called a 'gro anywhere black out blind' They are available on Amazon and other major retail outlets. We have one that we take away on holiday or to relatives with us. They are fab because they stick directly to a window using suction cups-so no drilling or permanent fixture needed nd like I said, can be moved to a different window, room or house whenever you need to. Think they cost around £25-£30
There's an example here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ ... text%2C367

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#52 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:29 am

Dont seem to making much progress with Tabitha's sleeping, she just keeps waking up at least 3 times a night and can take awhile to settle her. been 2 weeks and we seem to be going backwards

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#53 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Sorry for delay-been at football tournament and presentation all day!

Are you settling her to sleep from awake initially when you first out her to bed and are you staying in her room each time she wakes until she is fully back to sleep?
Is she self settling at all?

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#54 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:15 pm

at bedtime I say goodnight and she self settles, when she wakes up i am laying near her and stroking her head and slowly withdraw my hand until she settles herself, although she seems to only be happy knowing i am there, i can't go back to my room till she is fully asleep. at the moment I am barely in my room at all at night

Jeanette
The Nanny

#55 Unread post by Jeanette » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Didn't you break the routine and sleep with her a few nights ago though Gill. I'm afraid you do have to stick to the routine/rules.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Schmushe
Blissful

#56 Unread post by Schmushe » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Jeanette wrote:Didn't you break the routine and sleep with her a few nights ago though Gill. I'm afraid you do have to stick to the routine/rules.
Was just going to say the same Gill, Im sure you said she wasnt well and ended up in bed with you. So its kind of back to square one for a bit.

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#57 Unread post by Gillybean » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Not exactly at about 3 or 4 am I layed her down next to me on the bottom bunk in her room. She hasn't been back in our room since I started this.

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#58 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm

If you have resorted to sleeping with her again at any point that will certainly set you back. I know it's more difficult to be strict when they are ill, but Just be aware that it will definitely force a step backwards.

If she's managing to self settle in the evening when you first put her down then that proves that she CAN do it. I suggest you encourage more of this in the night too. Go in to her when she wakes, check shes ok, but then just say 'goodnight' as you do at bedtime and leave the room. If you follow the same settling routine each time it will reassure her enough to self-settle. Good luck

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#59 Unread post by Gillybean » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 am

In the middle of the night she's not self settling unless I'm in the room and I cant leave her to cry as she shares a room with her brother. Last night we put the cot in our room thinking she'd settle knowing I was there but she woke up every hour

Theblissfulbabyexp
Baby
Baby

#60 Unread post by Theblissfulbabyexp » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:37 am

A bit of short term crying that may wake up siblings would be worth the long term solution to hers and your constant disrupted sleep wouldn't it? I think moving the cot into your room is a bad idea and will make her more likely to wake as she knows you are close by. You and your husband are also more likely to disturb her with your movements.
Do you have the option of putting your older two in a bedroom together short term while you sort Tabitha out in her own room? That way she is less likely to wake them.
If you are consistent in the night then she will get the idea very quickly and there shouldn't be much crying anyway. You can use the timed soothing method where you go in after 1min, 2mins, 4mins, 6mins etc. by leaving it longer each time she will eventually settle. When you go in you need to try not to pick her up at all-just lie her down and say night night and then walk out after giving her a little reassuring rub or stroke of her face/hair.

Return to “Ask the Baby Expert”