babychic

Pre-school/nurseries before 3

Have a question about your child's education? We have a range of teachers from Early Years right up to Secondary ready to help and offer advice.
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Pre-school/nurseries before 3

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Tue May 21, 2013 4:21 pm

I know you are not primary teachers but I was wondering if you had any feeling as to whether pre-school before a child is 3 (or rather the September after they are 3) is beneficial or if a child has plenty of things to do at home and interaction with other children - whether that is just as good?

James is 3 in February and therefore won't start at school nursery until the September - so he will be 3 and 7 months.

I kept my first son at home and he settled at school fine but not sure about my second son? A lot of his friends already go to nursery or a planning to come September and I just find myself thinking about it every now and again!

Have you any opinions?

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

Re: Pre-school/nurseries before 3

#2 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Thu May 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi Jenn,

As you say I am not a Primary teacher, however I do have a degree in Psychology and some experience in that area which may help. A lot of research has been conducted into the impact of day care on young children. Although there is is some debate as to the impact on long hours in day care from a very young age, the general consensus is that some experience of day care has a positive impact on children's development. It is believed that children who have experienced some day care before attending school have better developed verbal and social skills, and this is part of the reasoning behind the government offering funded hours for 3yr olds.

However, this doesn't mean you are necessarily disadvantaging your child in some way if you decide not to put him into a preschool or nursery. There are plenty of children who don't go to nursery beforehand and settle in at school extremely well. No one knows your child better than you, therefore you will know best whether your son would benefit from the verbal interaction and social opportunities that day care provides, or as with your first son he would manage fine without it. For myself, I had to put Sarah (my daughter) into nursery at the age of 1 as I was a single parent returning to work, but I did fine it very beneficial - she is a real talker and social butterfly now!

In short, yes pre-school experience is considered by many to be beneficial, but it's up to you whether you feel it's right for your child. Particularly if you feel your son would be confident enough starting school.

Kathryn

Essex Mums Book Challenge 8/25
Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R R Martin

Return to “Ask the Teacher”