babychic

Induction?

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

Induction?

#1 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact now that this this baby won't come until he is induced. I'm meant to be having a home birth, I hate hospitals and really don't want an induction. I just wanted things to be as natural as possible and I'm getting myself all worked up about it. Does anyone have any experience of induction they don't mind sharing with me?

I don't know much about the process other than what I've gleaned from the tiny booklet the midwife gave me, and was very lucky with Sarah as I had my own room and was in hospital less than 5hrs before she was born. Any stories of induction welcome as it's good to have a realistic view (although any particularly bad horror stories may not reassure me too much!).

Thank you,

Kathryn x

Essex Mums Book Challenge 8/25
Currently reading: A Storm of Swords, George R R Martin

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Induction?

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 am

You need to relax Kathryn. The more stress you feel, the less likely bub will come.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#3 Unread post by nubs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:04 pm

I was booked in for induction with Jack and went for a really long walk the day the day before I was admitted and went into labour naturally - they broke my waters and ended up putting me onto a hormone drip to speed me up
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:46 pm

In was induced with Felix and Dexter. Felix's wasn't a great experience but was in America so they do it differently to here.

I was dreading being induced with Dexter but it was actually fine. They gave me the pessary to soften the cervix at 8am and the rest of the day was spent walking around the hospital, bouncing on a ball and just generally trying to pass the time. That bit was very boring, with nothing much happening. WHen things did get going they were really quick though my waters broke by themselves and he was born less than ten minutes later - I'm sure I told you the story but from starting to feel any pain resembling labour pains at all to him being born was only a couple of hours - they put my 'active labour' time down as 35 minutes even though they'd said I was only 2cm an hour before he was born. So my experience was boring...nothing...boring...nothing...extremely quick labour.

They had said that if nothing had happened by 8am the next day they would have given me another pessary, then another 48 hours after that (they give you a 24 hour break). They just want you to be dilated enough to break your waters, which some women are at the start with second babies. Once they break your waters they give you a few hours to see if labour starts and if it doesn't they put you on the drip to get contractions going. With Felix, it was the drip that made things horrible as it brings on intense, painful contractions close together.

The fact that you're low risk means you should be able to go home after having the pessary which means you can be nice and active without having to pace the corridors of the hospital! You will have a bed on the labour ward in case you need/want it though.

I think he will come before then though! How many days over are you? Five?

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

#5 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah five days, all the twinges and cramps i was having have stopped though. Midwife said my cervix was favourable (lol) when she did the sweep the other day but that baby was still facing outwards a bit. I'm hoping next sweep on Wednesday will do the trick :/ I know I need to stop stressing but I'm finding it hard because things were so easy with Sarah. Plus I've got from working 100mph to suddenly nothing, I've spent the last five days sitting indoors, eating or going for walks!

Kathryn x

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 am

I was induced with Gus and it was fine. I had the thing put up me tea time then the next morning contractions started slowly and then wham bam in the afternoon they started coming well quick and I went from 6cm-10cm in the space of a few minutes and out he shot into my friends arms when the midwife was out the room!
Hopefully it happens soon.x

sarahsquarepants
Teen
Teen

#7 Unread post by sarahsquarepants » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:11 pm

haha! Brilliant, but your friend was a bit shocked! Well fingers crossed. I'm off into town today for a walk around then meeting up with Sarah's dad to get her back and go for a mcd's. I'm trying to go for a decent length walk every day to encourage him, but it's getting pretty uncomfortable now. I am absolutely huge - my sister was pretty shocked when she came to visit on Friday!! I'll be sure to keep you all posted if anything happens.

Kathryn x

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by rachel jane » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:30 pm

Yeah she didn't believe me when I said its coming but she lifted the sheet and out he flew. She written on the information sheet as delivering him. She's now a qualified midwife!

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#9 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:25 pm

I was induced hun but unfortunately wasn't successful. I had the gels twice which didn't bloomin work so they had to break my waters. That still didn't get me going so I too had the drip which was very strong contractions through it. I had 2 days of prodding and poking before I was even in labour for it to end in a emerg c section. I was just unfortunate hun I think. My lazy boy was obviously too cozy in there. 7 years on he's still a monkey x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Return to “Pregnancy”