babychic

Gestational Diabetes

weezypops
Site Guru

Gestational Diabetes

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Not sure how many of you had it but was wondering if anyone could answer a couple of questions I have.

Firstly, did you ever find that the same foods provided vastly different post-meal readings? My levels have been pretty low so far but this morning I had the same yoghurt and fruit I've had every morning this week and got a reading of 9.2 rather than the 5s and 6s I've been getting all week.

Secondly, and these may be related, but did you find your levels were higher when ill? I've read that in proper diabetes illness can send blood sugar soaring so would assume it would be the same with GD but wasn't sure.

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Gestational Diabetes

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I had it and yes some foods certainly affected me and would send my readings into the 12's.

When I had a sickness bug my readings were all over the place.

Are you making sure your hands are clean and using a different finger every time ? Sometimes that can affect results too.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Sorry, I don't mean different foods, I mean getting a higher result from a food that has otherwise given you a low reading.

Yeah, hands are clean and I use a different finger.

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Er....No I dont think so about the food giving a different reading - maybe it has something to do with the quanity you've consumed? Maybe the last time you ate it you only had a smaller amount than this time?

When are you next being seen at the diabetic clcinic? Do they still allow you to phone with queries?

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:13 pm

Nope, exactly the same - a pot of the same yoghurt with the same amount of fruit and granola (exactly the same as they are pre-packaged not made up by me) with a glass of water. I've had the same thing every day this week and my readings have been 7.7, 6.6, 6.9 and then today 9.2.

Seeing the dietician next week hopefully and the diabetic midwife the week after that. My lunchtime reading was high too so I'm wondering if it's just to do with not being well. I thought of calling but am not sure if it's enough to call about!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#6 Unread post by Jeanette » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:21 pm

I really don't know much about it but could it be that you ate a bit more than normal last night when you went for your meal or that it was different food to what you generally eat?
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:28 pm

I did think that but I'm pretty sure it would have affected my fasting test results this morning - when I asked in the hospital if high readings could have been from christmas overindulgence they said that it can affect it but you would see the difference in the fasting (pre-meal) readings as well as the post meal. Mine was 5.1 this morning, and has ranged from 4.6 to 5.1 (actually. 4.6 was an unusually low one, all the others have been 4.9, 5 or 5.1) so last night doesn't seem to have affected it.

Schmushe
Blissful

#8 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 pm

I was told if it went up significantly to test later in the day after next meal and if that was high too to phone her. Not sure if its different protocol now though.
Mine always seemed higher after lunch and then I realised it was bread affecting me. Wheat does affect some.

I would say check later on and tomorrow morning and if its ok maybe it was a blip. If its still higher than normal then phone tomorrow. Even if its just for reassurance.

Return to “Pregnancy”