babychic

Going to NCT Groups if it's not your first baby

weezypops
Site Guru

Going to NCT Groups if it's not your first baby

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Did any of you join NCT groups with babies other than your first? I didn't with Iris because Felix was so young still and obviously couldn't with Felix as we were in the US but I've been wondering about doing it this time as people seem to talk a lot about friends they make there etc and I thought it might be nice. But if I'm the only one who already has kids I thought it might be a bit weird!

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Going to NCT Groups if it's not your first baby

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 pm

These types of groups are always helpful. Things change all the time and its nice to have new techniques and information and support. Lots of people make friends too which is nice cause you all have babies the same age from a social point of view.

I never made it to any of mine.

twsp
Newborn
Newborn

#3 Unread post by twsp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Def go along and try it - I made a good group of friends at NCT and I was a second time time mum - first time round I went to NCT as well but not the right time for me as straight back to work full time and not time to see them. Second time I had proper time off and those meets were invaluable and I am still in contact with two of them. Nothing like having mummy friends with kids the same age :) they totally get you!

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks both of you, just wasn't sure if it would all be first-time mums. What sort of time do people start going?

Tatty Bumpkin
Newborn
Newborn

#5 Unread post by Tatty Bumpkin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi, I went along when my first (and only) was born. we were about 6-7 months at the time and invaluable info as well as making good friends. There are courses specifically for next time round mums, and the things you cover off will be more relevant to you, eg, managing your new baby alongside their siblings. xxx I would definitely recomment them.

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:51 am

Another question - when you join up do you join mainly to go to the antenatal classes or are there groups etc. too?

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:03 pm

I went to ante natal group with connie and i made 4 friends who are now among my best friends and i see them all the time and i would of gone insane without them. I didn't go with Ted as there was only 19 months between them so i still had my first group and then they had babies around the same time or after me. I went to classes with Gus because i wanted him to have little friends and i now have 4 good friends who i meet with.
Say to your midwife and she will book you in for your classes at about 30-32 weeks. I didn't go to NCT ones as you have to pay for them. Also i was the only one with other children and it didn't tell me anything i didn't know but it was lovely to make friends.

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I did go to one of the midwife-booked antenatal classes when I was pregnant with Iris and found it a bit odd as I was the only one who'd already had a baby and no-one else was saying anything or talking to each other! Maybe it was because it was a really big group though. I just hear people talk about the NCT ones being especially good, though I don't know why!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by rachel jane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm

I heard you are only allowed to go to nct when you are pregnant with your first baby? Not sure if that is true???

Return to “Pregnancy”