babychic

SALT Report

Post your questions about any concerns you have about your child's speech or language development to the Therapists from C&D Independent Speech & Language Therapy
scw3587
Newborn
Newborn

SALT Report

#1 Unread post by scw3587 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi,

could someone please explain 'repetitive intonation' and 'unusual gestures' please?? Am feeling a tad confused by the last SALT report and what it means, but cannot get hold of our SALT for love nor money!! (My 3.5 year old being assessed for Asperger's Syndrome)

Many Thanks,

Sarah.

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

Re: SALT Report

#2 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi Sarah,

I am really sorry for such a delayed response. I agree that these terms are confusing and unfortunately I have more questions than answers for you. Repetitive intonation suggests that speech is perhaps lacking in melody when your child speaks. When we talk, our voices go up and down and we can normally tell how we're feeling by emphasising different sounds in words. It's difficult for me to give you an example via the computer! Does this sound like your child? Unfortunately I'm not sure what unusual gestures means in this case. If you would like to contact me to discuss this further, I would be more than happy to chat.

Best wishes,

Cassie - 07510 067 442

scw3587
Newborn
Newborn

Re: SALT Report

#3 Unread post by scw3587 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:36 pm

C&Dspeechies wrote:Hi Sarah,

I am really sorry for such a delayed response. I agree that these terms are confusing and unfortunately I have more questions than answers for you. Repetitive intonation suggests that speech is perhaps lacking in melody when your child speaks. When we talk, our voices go up and down and we can normally tell how we're feeling by emphasising different sounds in words. It's difficult for me to give you an example via the computer! Does this sound like your child? Unfortunately I'm not sure what unusual gestures means in this case. If you would like to contact me to discuss this further, I would be more than happy to chat.

Best wishes,

Cassie - 07510 067 442
Hi Cassie, yes this does sound a bit like our son, though we hadn't really noticed it. He tends to over-use facial expressions and gestures, and is very 'expressive' in how he talks, though not with his tone of voice. (So his vocabulary is very advanced but his speech tone of voice can be quite high pitched and flat if that makes sense?)

Thank you again for your help :) it's much appreciated!

Sarah

Return to “Ask the Speech and Language Therapist”