babychic

'G'

Post your questions about any concerns you have about your child's speech or language development to the Therapists from C&D Independent Speech & Language Therapy
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

'G'

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 pm

So James was 3 in Feb and just finished his first block of therapy. TBH I don't think the therapist knows where to go with James.

We are (finally) using the single Nuffield sounds (she wanted us to use more complicated picture and name cards which didn't work). My son really wants to try and learn - I can see it in his face.

He knows all the sounds that the pictures make (mostly) and can produce most of them well enough (not ai or eye or oar or those kinds but most of them) on their own.

I have been trying to join two pictures together so i and t. He is fine at saying it and then a gap and then t and so I make the gap shorter and shorter and then join them together and we get gih (losing the clear I at the start and also losing the t). We get exactly the same when we do any 2 sounds whether is be i and s or a and t or anything.

I did mention the fact he uses g at the beginning at words to the therapist and asked if it is a common problem in children. SHe said no, well only in our complex cases. Which now has got me thinking.

Have you any tips on how I can work on this please as honestly (without googling for hours) have no clue how to go about it and don't feel with are going to progress at all until I do something about it.

There are a few words he says without a 'g' like mum, dir (drink), na (nine), nee naw, nan, dee (tv), na (snack), bor (ball), broo (book) and a few more probably. But most of his speech is all g

When I spend time with him on his sounds we can get ma, mi, moo, mo, mor but when we add an end letter - mat - we get ga again.

Thank you reading and don't worry if you have no ideas - it's just that we don't see the therapist again now until 25th APril and that is a long time to wait and not be able to help him.

Thanks

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: 'G'

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:16 am

Thinking about getting extra help with him as we don't seem to be getting anywhere at home.

We are Southend - how can we go about extra help please? Is it expensive? I just don't think I can do it on my own anymore as we spend almost an hour on it (almost every day) and I am in tears at the end of each session - James is fab tho and really tries but I can see no change

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

Re: 'G'

#3 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:48 am

Hello! Email us your phone number and we'll have a chat. Southend is quite a distance for us to come, but there are therapists in your area who I'm certain would be able to help you. If you send over your number, we can have a more detailed discussion and we can hopefully signpost you in the right direction.

Info@cdspeechtherapy.co.uk

Hope this helps, Cassie

Return to “Ask the Speech and Language Therapist”