babychic

Getting signed off

Post your questions about any concerns you have about your child's speech or language development to the Therapists from C&D Independent Speech & Language Therapy
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Getting signed off

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:32 pm

William has been seeing a speech therapist for almost 4 years. His speech is still not clear with certain words and he cannot always be understood and is often asked to repeat things (even by family). BUT he is happy and confident and a fantastic public speaker (so I have heard) at school. (He is in year 2 so going to juniors in September)

Basically - I am wondering how good/normal a child needs to be before they are signed off? He is happy and doesn't want to continue and - while I don't mind continuing - if that is the best thing for him - I am not sure if it is as I don't know what else they can do to help him improve.

William has had a lot of help and has done amazing things at speech therapy (with lots of hard work)

I just wonder what the chances of being signed off are?

What happens if we get signed off and then he has a problem?

Thanks

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Getting signed off

#2 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 am

Hello!

Great to hear that William is very confident and happy at school.

I hear what you're saying. In order for speech therapy to work, children need to be motivated to do the exercises and to change their speech. If they're not feeling motivated anymore then it may not be very effective. I would speak to your therapist about this and see what his/her opinions are. It may be that William no longer needs any input but his therapist may come up with new ideas to motivate him if she feels that more support could be helpful.

Generally speaking, if you were signed off then you'd have to re-refer into the service if you wanted to be seen again. In most areas of Essex you can just call the service directly and ask to be re-referred back into it or failing that you could speak to the SENCo at school or your GP to do it for you but you may have a wait before being seen again. As i'm not entirely sure how it works in your team, the best people to talk to are the therapists themselves so when you see them next tell them what you're thinking.

All the best,

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks I am seeing his speech therapy twice in thenext fortnight so will ask. Yes - that's what I mean - he doesn't really want to do his sound work anymore and doesn't seem to have time with school and clubs and things. He also hates being taken out of school for sessions - really upsets him and so if we did that - I think it would be a negative factor.

Ok - will chat to her on Tuesday

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 am

Absolutely, if it's making him upset then it's definitely worth talking about.

Hope your sessions go well,

Best wishes - Cassie

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Well - we weren't signed off. The speech therapist asked William what he wanted to do - stop there or carry on coming or just have sounds to work on at home and he said he wanted more sessions because he knows he can't talk like the other children in his class and he feels behind them and doesn't want to feel that way.

Jeanette
The Nanny

#6 Unread post by Jeanette » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Ahhh poor William.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

Schmushe
Blissful

#7 Unread post by Schmushe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Aww bless him. Still it shows he is building confidence to be able to say why he wants to continue

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Oh poor thing. It's really mature that he is so keen to improve though.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 pm

It is very mature and I am very proud of him for making a decision that he obviously spent time contemplating. He has always been confident despite his lack of speech which is clearly seen in the fact he is chair of the school council. But I am still immensely proud of him and can't believe how grown up and sensible he can be. But I still feel sorry for him and pray that James has an easier route!

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

#10 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

It sounds like he's still motivated to continue, so it's great to just keep going with it until he decides to stop!

Return to “Ask the Speech and Language Therapist”