babychic

Youngest age

Post your questions about any concerns you have about your child's speech or language development to the Therapists from C&D Independent Speech & Language Therapy
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Youngest age

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 am

Hi

What do you think is the youngest age a child should start having therapy sessions please?

Thanks

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Youngest age

#2 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:08 am

Hello

We would generally see children from the age of 3 upwards as they are more motivated for therapy sessions than younger children. While therapy may not always be appropriate for younger ones, advice and recommendations can be given to help parents encourage speech, language and communication skills.

May I ask what your concerns are so that we can signpost you in the right direction? If you'd rather send us a private e-mail, our address is: info@cdspeechtherapy.co.uk or call us on: 07510 067 442.

I hope this has been helpful,

Thanks,

Cassandra Carabott, Speech & Language Therapist

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Thank you for your speedy reply -

I was thinking 3 ish - my eldest son started a month before his third birthday and got on really well with it and enjoyed it - although now 3 years later - he is finding it a bit hard and difficult at times

My HV is concerned about James' speech (he doesn't really have any) - he is only 2 - but he has worse speech than William had at this age. She offered to refer him yesterday and I said that I think I would rather wait as don't want him starting to early and not get anything from it and not enjoy it.

I think I will try and find out about waiting times in our area and try and time his referral so that he would be closer to 3 at that time - if he even needs it by then.

If he was my first - I would be saying 'but he's only 2 - he has plenty of time to learn to speak' and he has but because of William - I don't want to ignore these early signs - just incase!

Is verbal dyspraxia genetic? Does it run in families?

Thanks

C&Dspeechies
Newborn
Newborn

#4 Unread post by C&Dspeechies » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:02 am

Hello again! I hope you're having a nice weekend!

Firstly, to answer your question about genetics - some studies do suggest that speech difficulties, including those with dyspraxic features can run in families. You are absolutely right though - all children develop at different times but I agree that it's worth keeping an eye on.

Secondly, with regards to the referral - I think that in light of the fact that William has had some Speech & Language Therapy input, I feel that the referral could do no harm. The therapist involved can then determine what to do next. He/she may also be able to give you some advice and tips to help James communicate with you and prevent frustration.

I wonder if you've tried baby signing in the past, or "sing and sign" classes? I hear they're fun and a great way to encourage communication skills.

I hope this has been helpful,

Cassie

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#5 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi

I hope you don't mind me interrupting your forum chat however I just wanted to tell you about Talking Tots classes that are currently available in Chelmsford, Maldon and Colchester and will be launching in September in Southend, Thorpe Bay, Leigh, Billericay, Brentwood and Upminster.

Talking Tots is the UK’s leading provider of fun, interactive classes that help pre-school children to communicate with confidence.

At Talking Tots children will discover a host of imaginative, exciting activities that encourage little ones to get talking.

Each Talking Tots session is carefully designed by experts to help every child build social confidence and communication skills – the cornerstones of a happy and healthy life!

The fun classes help to:
• promote group bonding
• develop good eye contact
• encourage sharing & turn taking
• develop listening & attention skills
• introduce group co operation
• encourage the copying of actions
• develop expressive language development
• boost social confidence within the peer group
• build vocabulary & word categories (semantics)

For further information please refer to www.talkingtots.info or feel free to email me at Claire@talkingtots.info

I look forward to hearing from you x

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:07 pm

We tried sing ad sign but unfortunately James does not like song time (unless it is Macarena or agadoo or superman!) Will look into talking tots tho! Claire - it would be Thorpe bay or southend that I would be interested in. Have you more info? will go to the website if not.

We did try baby signing but James just didn't seem to get it.

We had a meeting with the HV and I spoke to our speech therapist and we are going to leave it until his 2 and a half year check as he is getting new sounds every now and again (although he hasn't in the last few weeks tbh) and will then refer him then if necessary. (It is not long until July and tbh James would hate a therapy session at the mo as he just doesn't like to sit down unless it is really really on his terms)

I am trying hard not to worry and most of the time I don't but there is always this little niggle- I am not sure he actually uses any words! he says Muuuuum - but this actually means 'Dad' or 'adult help me please' but we went to see the trains on holiday and if I went woowoo then he copied me but won't do it today!

Hmmmm..... I don't know :(

Oh right - interesting about verbal dyspraxia being proved that it runs in families as I thought it might as I was diagnosed with it as a child!

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#7 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 am

Hi

My classes are launching in September and will be running at Kids Kingdom on Monday mornings and Thorpe Bay Methodist Church on Tuesday mornings. They are split into age groups aligned to school year so if you can let me know James' DoB I'll be able to tell you the times of the appropriate classes. The classes are fun and interactive but have been structured by speech therapists to encourage strong communication skills so could really help.

If you're on Facebook you may wish to look at the Talking Tots Southend Facebook page. Apart from class details there are a few interesting articles about pre-schoolers communication and speech development which may be of interest.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Claire
X

P.S. On a personal note my little boy had delays with his speech (it was actually how I came across the concept of Talking Tots) so I know how frustrating it can be x

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 am

19th Feb 2011. Thanks will have a look on Facebook if I manage to get on myaptop later.

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#9 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am

Great - James will be a Sprinter and so could come to either the 11.30am class at Kids Kingdom or the 10.45am class at Thorpe Bay Methodist Centre.

At Sprinters, James will take part in fun-packed games, action rhymes and songs that help build vital communication and social skills such as listening, taking turns and making eye contact.

Each friendly and supportive class incorporates individual props and games, along with brightly coloured pictures, scarves and puppets that will encourage James to explore different sounds, words and rhythms. These skills are the very first building blocks of literacy.

Hope you like the sound of the classes - look forward to hearing from you and hopefully meeting you soon x

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Claire - I must be dumb or blind o something but just had a look on the webpage and can't see anything about prices - can you help me out please?

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#11 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi

So sorry - the site only went live a couple of days ago and you are absolutely right...I forgot to put class price on there! I've just updated it, thank you.

Classes are £5, payable half-termly in advance. There is no extra charge for twins / siblings. There is also a one-off membership fee of £8 (which includes a t-shirt - introduces concept of 'uniform') however for the first 30 people that reserve a place in September, the membership is free. Places can be reserved through completing a reservation form and paying a £5 deposit.

Please let me know if you wish to reserve a place. If you let me know your email address I'll send you the form x
Last edited by clairetalkingtots on Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#12 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm

ah cool -thanks! :) Will talk it over with my husband and see if I can shuffle my days around as usually busy Mon/Tues. Thanks

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#13 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Otherwise there are Thursdays at the Leigh on Sea Community Centre if that's any good? Sprinter classes will be at 10.30 x

clairetalkingtots
Baby
Baby

#14 Unread post by clairetalkingtots » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi just to let you know I am running a free Sprinter taster session at Kids Kingdom on Monday 24th June @ Kids Kingdom if you would like to come along with James? I only have two places left so please do let me know x

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#15 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:58 pm

will pm you now

Return to “Ask the Speech and Language Therapist”