babychic

Pain in hand

Ask our Occupational Therapist Abi Johnson for advice about your child's fine motor skills, handwriting, self-care or difficulty accessing leisure activities.
weezypops
Site Guru

Pain in hand

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am

I wrote a while ago about my son's handwriting but thought I'd start a new thread as this is related but a different question!

Felix has always found it hard to hold his pen the correct way to write. His understanding of what to write is fine but it's a bit untidy, and he tends to default to holding it the wrong way which I think contributes to the scruffiness. He's in year two now and the school are working with him to try and correct the way he holds it, with pencil grips etc. I've tried this at home too but find that when he picks up a pen he still naturally holds it wrong. Last weekend he was writing a card and I picked him up on this and asked why he wasn't holding it correctly and he said it hurt him to hold it like school wanted him to. I've quizzed him a bit more about it and he says it's an ache that comes on when he's been holding a pen that way for a while, and pointed to the palm of his hand to demonstrate where it was.

The thing is, I'm the same. I don't hold a pen right, because it's always been painful for me to hold it that way, likewise holding cutlery properly, touch typing and a few other things.I suffered from bad tendon pain throughout my teenage years (and maybe earlier, not sure), spent a year not being able to write with my right hand at all, went back and forth to doctors, orthopaedic hospitals etc. In the end they said it was fibromyalgia but I never really felt that it actually fit what it was (for example the pain sites specfied in fibromyalgia are different to where I get pain) - it seemed they just wanted to give a diagnosis that sort of fit and be done with it (this was after years of going back and forth). Nowadays I have some discomfort most of the time bit not the same level of pain, though it still hurts when holding a pen etc.

I'm just concerned that what Felix has said about where it hurts sounds very familiar. I don't want to jump the gun if he's just exaggerating because he doesn't want to do it but I always don't want to overlook it if it's something similar to what I have. I'm going to talk to his teacher today but just wondered if you had any thoughts on the matter.

Sorry this is so long!

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

Re: Pain in hand

#2 Unread post by OT Essex » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi, thanks for your question. Hand pain when writing is often due to holding the pencil too tightly and/or in a static position. Often, pain in the palm is caused by a child holding the fingers too straight and static when writing. Without seeing him write it is difficult for me to comment on the cause of Felix's pain. It would be helpful if you email me a photo of the way he holds his pencil.

The ideal finger positioning for most children is holding the pencil loosely between the index finger and thumb with the pencil resting on the middle finger. The ring and little fingers should be tucked loosely in to the palm. Make sure he is resting the little finger side of the hand on the paper as having the hand 'floating' can be a cause of hand pain.

It may be worth trying a writing slope. Find an A4 lever arch folder and selotape the open edges together so it doesn't wobble. Place it on the table in front of him with the paper on top. It might just help his positioning.

I think that as Felix's difficulties haven't been resolved it is time to get an opinion from an Occupational Therapist. The NHS service in your area are based at the Lighthouse Centre. Details here http://www.southend.nhs.uk/your-service ... al_Therapy I think you will need to ask your GP or School Nurse to complete a referral. It may be worth giving them a call to check that they will accept a referral for this kind of difficulty.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks, I think I will take him to the GP, though my GP is so rubbish it's hard to discuss anything with him!

As an update, when I spoke to his teacher she was a bit dismissive of the idea of him having any sort of condition that could be causing the pain and said he had 'weak fingers' - apparently she came to this conclusion because they were practising finding the home keys in ICT and he found it hard to hold his hands in that position. As I mentioned, this is something that I find hard too - holding them that way causes me a lot of pain, so I am really wondering if he has something similar going on, though I hope not.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#4 Unread post by nubs » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:00 pm

If your GP is dismissive asked to see another at the surgery as a second opinion, or question self referrals or speak to the school nurse who can refer also x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:08 pm

He's the only GP there! I assume to speak to the school nurse I would just ask in the school office?

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

Yes they will tell you what days they are available or get them to ask her to phone you x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Return to “Ask the Occupational Therapist”