babychic

My son's finger

Ask our Occupational Therapist Abi Johnson for advice about your child's fine motor skills, handwriting, self-care or difficulty accessing leisure activities.
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

My son's finger

#1 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:28 am

Hi ya

Not sure if you would have any advice about this?

My son shut his finger in the car door and over time his nail eventually fell off and his new has (pretty much) grown back. It is his index finger on his right hand (he is right handed).

So - whilst his finger hurt and as it recovered - he learnt to do everything without using that finger and he can manage pretty well without using the finger. Any tips for how I can encourage him to re-use his finger? Or will it just come back naturally?

Thanks

Jenny

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

Re: My son's finger

#2 Unread post by OT Essex » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your question. You probably will need to encourage him to use his finger. Is it your five year old? How long ago did he injure it?

Abi

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Yes - it is my 5 year old. He did it middle of June. (I know it's not that long ago but just want to make sure I am not doing the wrong thing)

I am amazed at how well he copes without using the finger - for example his handwriting is really neat at the moment without using his index finger but it must be really difficult for him?

Thanks

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

#4 Unread post by OT Essex » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 pm

It's amazing how quickly children adapt and learn new ways of doing things. I would encourage him to use his index finger as soon as possible, habits can be hard to change if they are well established.

Here are a few activity ideas:
- Play games involving opening clothes pegs with his index finger and thumb. For example, race to see how many he can remove from the edge of a bowl in 30 seconds. Buy a multi coloured pack of pegs and make sequences of colours for him to copy. You could also have him help hang the laundry out.
- Use finger paints. Encourage use of his index finger.
- Draw on an easel using tiny pieces of chalk.
- Play Tiddlywinks.

If you have an iPad or smartphone you could use this as a tool. Cut the index finger off an old pair of gloves. Only his index finger will 'work' on the screen.

With his handwriting he probably will need prompting to revert to a grasp using his index finger. Make use of the next week to provide him with opportunities for colouring, dot to dot puzzles etc. If you are there to remind him hopefully he will start using his finger again fairly quickly.

Finally. If he complains that his finger still hurts or continues to avoid using it please get it checked.

Let me know how you get on.

Abi

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Just thought I would keep you updated :)

He still tries to not use his finger but he usually remembers that he needs to and quickly does so when pointing or pressing buttons on the remote etc

When he writes he uses an awful grip which involves the finger not being used but we are trying to work on that.

It doesn't hurt and is almost back to normal shape and nail.

Thanks for you help

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

#6 Unread post by OT Essex » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Glad to hear he is improving. It might be worth finding out if you can get him reviewed by an Occupational Therapist to see if you can get some more detailed advice about holding a pencil. I think looking at your profile your OT's are based at The Lighthouse Centre in Southend. I recommend you give them a ring and see if you can refer him yourself.

If you have any problems getting him seen feel free to contact me on 07903 085883. Abi

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:52 am

ah thanks - will have a word with his school.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:21 pm

So - it is a year ago this week that he shut his finger in the door :(

Nothing I can do seems to make him want to use his index finger more and he still uses his middle finger all the time instead. I now have a touch screen laptop and he still favours his middle finger. The school uses learning pads for some their it lessons and I keep trying to ask his teacher how he is with them but there is never much time to talk to staff.

He seems to have just adapted and got on with it. hmmm.... I am hoping that he may want to learn a musical instrument which may encourage finger use.

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

#9 Unread post by OT Essex » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi, sorry to hear he is still avoiding using his finger. It is probably just a habit he has formed but I would get it looked at just to check nothing is restricting his movement. Does he complain that it hurts at all?

Carry out some of the activities above and see if he can use it. I would be happy to give you my opinion if you wanted me to.

Abi

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#10 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:42 pm

No - he doesn't complain at all and when we remind him to use it - he uses it fine and can bend it - but yes - I reckon it is just a habit now.

would you recommend a musical instrument to help? anything spring to mind?

OT Essex
Baby
Baby

#11 Unread post by OT Essex » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:50 pm

A musical instrument would be a great activity because it is new and he wouldn't have established habits. Maybe start with something simple like a recorder or a keyboard. He might find string instruments a but tricky if he doesn't have much strength in his index finger.

If there is a music teacher st school he may be able to try out a few options before you select an instrument.

Return to “Ask the Occupational Therapist”