babychic

Pain in hand

Ask our Children's Physiotherapist Chris Smith from Kidsphysio2u any physical development concerns you may have, or for general children's physiotheraphy questions.
weezypops
Site Guru

Pain in hand

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 am

Felix has always found it hard to hold his pen the correct way to write. His understanding of what to write is fine but it's a bit untidy, and he tends to default to holding it the wrong way which I think contributes to the scruffiness. He's in year two now and the school are working with him to try and correct the way he holds it, with pencil grips etc. I've tried this at home too but find that when he picks up a pen he still naturally holds it wrong. Last weekend he was writing a card and I picked him up on this and asked why he wasn't holding it correctly and he said it hurt him to hold it like school wanted him to. I've quizzed him a bit more about it and he says it's an ache that comes on when he's been holding a pen that way for a while, and pointed to the palm of his hand to demonstrate where it was.

The thing is, I'm the same. I don't hold a pen right, because it's always been painful for me to hold it that way, likewise holding cutlery properly, touch typing and a few other things.I suffered from bad tendon pain throughout my teenage years (and maybe earlier, not sure), spent a year not being able to write with my right hand at all, went back and forth to doctors, orthopaedic hospitals etc. In the end they said it was fibromyalgia but I never really felt that it actually fit what it was (for example the pain sites specfied in fibromyalgia are different to where I get pain) - it seemed they just wanted to give a diagnosis that sort of fit and be done with it (this was after years of going back and forth). Nowadays I have some discomfort most of the time bit not the same level of pain, though it still hurts when holding a pen etc.

I'm just concerned that what Felix has said about where it hurts sounds very familiar. I don't want to jump the gun if he's just exaggerating because he doesn't want to do it but I always don't want to overlook it if it's something similar to what I have. I'm going to talk to his teacher today but just wondered if you had any thoughts on the matter.

Sorry this is so long!

Kidsphysio2u
Newborn
Newborn

Re: Pain in hand

#2 Unread post by Kidsphysio2u » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 am

Hi and thanks for the message. Unfortunately handwriting/fine motor skills are something which is going to be better addressed by an occupational therapist. Perhaps Abbie can help if you repost the question to her?
Many thanks
Chris Smith
Lead Children's Physiotherapist
Kidsphysio2u Limited
01206 510858
info@kidsphysio2u.co.uk

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Pain in hand

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

OKay thanks!

Return to “Ask the Children's Physiotherapist”