babychic

I made my first best friend aged 4 – by 6, we were married

For advice and chat about relationships, whether with your spouse, your MIL, your friends or anyone else in your life
weezypops
Site Guru

I made my first best friend aged 4 – by 6, we were married

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:26 am

I made my first best friend aged four – by six, we were married
Katie Orme and I have known each other since we were zilch – or since I was zilch, and she was three months old. Actually, Katie says that “we were probably best friends in the womb”, which could well be true. Our parents met at ante-natal class in 1979, and here we are, 30 years later, still in touch, still bosom buddies, as we dubbed ourselves in our teens.

I remember quite clearly when Katie and I decided to be best friends: we were four-year-olds at Elmwood Road Montessori school, where our parents must have sent us in the hope of making us rounded individuals (a venture that succeeded with Katie – happily married, living in a gorgeous house in a desirable part of London – but was less of a success with me). Anyway, it was the nativity play, and Katie had landed the plum role of Mary – I was cast as a shepherd – but on the day, she forgot her lines and started to cry. Thomas Finn had to step in (I wonder how he’s turned out), while I comforted her stage left. “Will you be my best friend?” she pleaded, through snot and tears, and of course I said yes. Who says no to the Virgin Mary?

The news that one in four of us is still in touch with our first best friend doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. We may live in an age of fleeting, fickle Facebook friendships, but despite that, and perhaps because of it, childhood relationships will always thrive. Katie and I will forever be friends – whether she likes it or not – because our relationship was built on sterner stuff than meeting at a party over seven gin and tonics.

It’s not just that we have known each other our whole lives. It’s not even due to the fact that we got married at the age of six (I was the bride, and she was the groom in her father’s nightshirt). I think it’s because children choose their friends – and their enemies – quite intuitively. There is a sixth sense, an ability to just know whom we will like, that gets lost somewhere past puberty, in a maelstrom of hormones and boys.

That’s not to say that I don’t love the chums I have made in later life. Oh, they have their moments. But it takes a long time to grow an old friend, and as cheesy as this sounds, I’m truly glad she forgot her lines that day in 1984.
I thought this article was interesting and wanted to share. What do you think? How many of you are still in touch with childhood best friends?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: I made my first best friend aged 4 – by 6, we were married

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm not really in contact with any of my old friends :( Rather sad really! A few get Christmas cards and even fewer get birthday cards and that's about it really :(

Jeanette
The Nanny

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Same here Jenn.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#4 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Ahh that article :D

I married my best friend from School, still going 11 years on :D
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Aww, Gemma, how sweet!

I'm in touch with my best friend growing up, but only recently when she joined facebook. We'd lost touch for quite a few years. Still close to my three closest school friends though.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:49 pm

I have quiet a few child hood friends i am still in touch with including Sheeina and Rachel jane on here - though most of us don't get to meet up often we talk via text and facebook x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 pm

I still see lots of friends from school!x

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#8 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:07 pm

i dont see loads of friends from school some but not loads.

i think i out grew alot of actions from my old neighbour hood (dont mean that nasty just not 16 anymore and dont want to do or talk about same people or things)

as Kris says i know her from school i was about 4 when met rachel jane and Kris and we are no 31 jesus that sounds old now!
Mummy to George

Total weight loss : 9lbs
total loss to go : 72lbs

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Sheeina you make it sound as if you lived in the ghetto not Shoeburyness.

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#10 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:42 pm

its not the place i think sometimes not all the time just sometimes people dont grow.
i will speak to people i was friends with when at school and it doesnt seem as if anything changed.
people would still be going to same pub drink same drink with same people not speaking to same people not really remembering why as was so so long ago.
i just think sometimes its best to move on. not saying all the time!!!
but saying that now im re speaking to people (wonder of facebook) somepeople have changed not all somepeople have become how do i say mmmm more skanky lol so glad i didnt stop speaking to people on bad terms. just driffed apart.

saying that abou the getto im glad i moved out lol. its asda i cant stand lol not shoebury.
Mummy to George

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:51 pm

It must just be the people you were friends with because all my friends from school are all getting on fine in life and aren't skanky!

sheeina
Newlywed
Newlywed

#12 Unread post by sheeina » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:03 pm

i was friends with you rachel lol

not saying they arent getting on in life just we grew apart didnt have alot in common.
i think one of the differences was alot of people had children quite young not 16 but by sort of 21 and i was just so far away from that. different people at that point and now we all have common ground again. or on other end of scale was enjoying the party lifestyle drink drugs rock and jsa (lol) and i didnt live that life.

its not a bad thing! people are living life how they want and rather than judge them we driffed apart its what happens in life.
Mummy to George

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#13 Unread post by Gina73 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:22 am

I dont really see anyone I went to primary school with but I kept in touch with one of my best friends from school and now I work with her and see her 5 mornings a week. We also see each other out of work and often go out on girlie nights.

I am friends on FB with a lot of old school friends but we dont meet up.

I would say my best friend in the world is someone that I have known since I was about 2, she is my cousin in Devon. Although we didnt see each other when they moved down to Devon when I was about 10 for about 15 years, we are now closer than ever, although I dont get to see her that much she is the first person I phone if I have some sad or happy news.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

jennagooding
Newlywed
Newlywed

#14 Unread post by jennagooding » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 pm

I've just got back in contact with my old best friend from primary school- best feeling ever. Had a fab time catching up!

My oldest friend -she's two days older than me, we've never lost contact. Always send cards, and she always remembers Lara's birthday too which I think is really sweet.

Return to “Relationships”