babychic

Interfering In-Laws (With a Twist)

For advice and chat about relationships, whether with your spouse, your MIL, your friends or anyone else in your life
lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Interfering In-Laws (With a Twist)

#1 Unread post by lea-marie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Okay, what do you think/advise regarding this...

Andy and I have been together a little while now, however, the circumstances in which we got together were a little 'shady' I guess you could say...

Andy was engaged to my best friend (I’ll call her ‘E’ for ease of reference). I know it sounds awful, but it isn't quite as bad as it sounds... Him and E had been together for about 8/9 years, and in that time, he never really spoke to or acknowledged me, which E attributed to the fact that he didn't like me/thought I was a bad influence on her etc They were engaged and I was helping E to plan the wedding. They had a slightly testy relationship and broke up for a bit, got back together etc E complained to me a lot about how Andy paid her no attention and that he was always miserable etc Well more towards the end of the relationship, she started spending a lot of time with another guy, and more or less started an affair with him. Andy found out, and shortly after they split up, as she left Andy for this other guy.

Anyway, I was part of an online dating site and a few months after they split (bearing in mind E was my best friend, so I had supported her decision etc), Andy popped up on my profile and sent me a message saying hi etc So we chatted for a while (the most we had ever talked actually) - it was all just general chatting and he talked a bit about how he felt about the break up and asked about how I was following my break with Paul etc and we talked about things we were doing - that sort of thing. It turned out that he had never spoken to me previously because my friend had told him that I didn't like him (the same as E had told me about him!) but we chatted very easily all evening. He mentioned a film that he had wanted to watch so I offered to lend it to him and he said he would pick it up one evening the following week. Well he came over to get it and we get chatting again, and he ended up staying until early hours the next morning just talking. We started to hang out a bit and realised that we had a lot in common and started to like each other. I pushed that aside at first because of my friend, but just couldn't ignore it much longer.
As soon as it got to this point, I knew I had to tell E, so I contacted her mum first (who I was close to as well) and explained the situation to her. She was very positive about it and said that she was really happy for us etc - she really supported the idea. So Andy and I made the decision to tell E and then make it official.
I arranged to meet with E and when we met, I told her straight away. She took it really badly - she started crying and told me that he was with me out of revenge. (This was an idea that had crossed my mind at first but soon left my mind again since he never once mentioned or asked about E, and he was making efforts with Charli etc). E then left in tears. I text her apologizing and didn’t hear back from her until a month later saying she would never forgive me. She has since bad mouthed me to several people that I know, but she also continuously talks about Andy and missing him to these same people.
To be honest, this was the response that I expected and that was fine, although I have missed her.

Now this is where the problem lies… Her parents. Andy had parted from the family saying that he would keep in touch etc (as you do), but her mum is taking this to new levels. She messages Andy at least once a week, telling him how much she and E miss him, that they wish they could turn back time and want him back in the family; I’ll never be forgiven for what I’ve done etc He has told her several times that while he’s happy to talk to them about general stuff, he doesn’t care to know anything about E or her relationship (she is still with the guy she left him for). But this falls consistently on deaf ears.
I tried to be patient and understanding about this at first, but it is still going on now, and I’m finding it increasingly difficult to bite my tongue. It has started to cause tension with Andy and I (not all the time, just when it comes up) and whenever I try and talk about it calmly with E’s mum, she palms me off and tells me that I have a great guy and to ‘just be happy’.
Whenever she messages Andy, she says that she is realizing that he is happy and will leave him alone, then messages again a few days later – and heaven forbid he doesn’t anser, as she goes crazy on him!

How would any of you deal with this, because it is starting to drive me mad!! :evil:
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Interfering In-Laws (With a Twist)

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Honestly, as annoying as it is, I would leave it alone and let him deal with it. If you get more involved I would worry that E's mum would use it against you to try and cause problems in your relationship etc. As hard as it is I think you should take the moral high ground and just ignore her. Perhaps speak to her one last time to say you've found her behaviour too much and that you don't want to speak to her any more. I would probably suggest to Andy he do the same. Yes, it's nice to stay in touch but E's mum has taken it way beyond that. It might sound harsh but he doesn't owe them anything and I would think it would be best if he were to say to her that he was happy to maintain a friendship but that her calling him all the time etc. is just unacceptable and that he won't risk causing problems in his relationship because of it.

Tricky situation but I do think you have to think of yourselves in this.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

Re: Interfering In-Laws (With a Twist)

#3 Unread post by lea-marie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Andy and I are always open with each on these things, and so whenever we have conversations with her, we show each other etc
I have been thinking of something to say, and I did say to Andy that this would be the last time I tried to talking to her… It’s just finding the right things to say really – I don’t want to come across as angry as I am, but at the same time, I want her to see my point.

I have said to Andy that he needs to draw the line for her too, but he is really rubbish at anything that can be classed as confrontation, and so he just plays nice and puts up with it.
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

Return to “Relationships”