babychic

Moving house for catchment????

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Moving house for catchment????

#1 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Basically would you move house to get into senior school catchment?
I always swore I wouldn't be one of those parents who went crazy about what school there children would go to but as it gets nearer we are debating it.
I know everyone has different ideas about what the senior schools are like in this area but its so hard not to listen to stories about my friends pulling their kids out of schools because of bullying, crap teaching etc. There are positive stories aswell may I add but not as many as the negative. I don't want to start a row and I know it depends on your child.
Edie goes to shoebury and she has got on so well so obviously I would like mine to go there. Connies teacher said she is above average and is at the right level to take the 11+ so if she passed then she could go to shoebury. But Edies intelligent and she got 0.3 away from the pass mark so I know it could just depend on the day.
I know Connies good at school and enjoys learning but I also know she wouldn't suit a grammar school whereas ted might.
Connies in year 4 which seems like it will be ages to go but as you all know it flies by!!
I don't mind moving as I just want the best for my kids as we all do.
What are your views?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Moving house for catchment????

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

We looked into moving to get into Bournes Green catchment for the boys although there wasn't a house we liked and was only going to move if we could get the right house - so in a way I suppose we weren't looking to move JUST because of the school.

Would Connie not get sibling rights to get into Shoebury?

It is a concern - we end up talking about it sometimes as Futures and Cecil are not our favourite schools at the moment! But luckily anything can happen in 5 years!

I think that as long as you will be happy in the house you move to and you will not feel as if you gave something up for it - then why not? I mean - you might as well have a look around in that area. You had mentioned looking at houses a while ago anyway - so it is obviously not a new discussion.

What school is your catchment then? I do not know how Senior schools work really. And part of me does think that you can do well anywhere but I also know that a better working environment can only be a positive thing.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:50 pm

No she wouldn't get sibling as Edies main address is her mums.
Jenn you say anything can change in 5 years but the only thing that has changed is shoebury has got even better and chase has improved. My catchment is Cecil (sorry Tracy) and my friend pulled her girl out of there and sent her other one to kes even though they live opposite it.

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

I probably wouldn't just for that reason, though if we were thinking of moving it would be something I'd consider. I knew a few people at Westcliff whose parents moved closer to the school so that they didn't have to score as highly on the 11+ to get in but I don't think it did them any favours as they really struggled. I don't think the grammars work on catchment now though.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by rachel jane » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:48 pm

No grammars don't have catchment. If Connies passes fine she can get into shoebury as it has a grammar stream but if she fails then she has to go to a school I don't want her too!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm

We moved so that the boys would be in catchment to get into Eastwood high school with their friends
It was also to make life easier than traveling back and forth to rochford
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#7 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 am

Grammars do have catchment! Charli only just scrapes the catchment for Chelmsford High (I think it's within 12 miles), which she has her heart set on, and I am sure that when reading up on entry requirements for Chelmsford, they actually want to know how long you have lived within the catchment so as to cut down the number of people that move for that reason. They do have spots for those outside of the catchment, but the requirements are stricter etc.
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 am

The catchment when I was there was a 3 mile radius, then it was progressively harder to get in the further you lived away. I think more than 12 miles is a long way to go though - I was 10 miles from Westcliff and it was a big journey every day!

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#9 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 am

I have no idea what the catchment was when I attended Westcliff, but I lived on the back end of Shoebury and that was a fair trek in itself (though I think it's only about 8 miles as the crow flies!)

I know that I got in with my score, as two friends also took their tests there but although they passed, they didn't get in!

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#10 Unread post by lea-marie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50 am

Just noticed that I haven't actually answered the question!

I personally don't think I would move so that Charli was within a cathment, however, we plan to move to Braintree when Charli hits high school, but we're going to stay in Witham until the time we find out if she has been accepted/rejected, as Braintree falls outside of Chelmsford High's catchment!

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Blimey 12 miles!!! My friend works at Chelmsford high he's the cooking teacher!
In Southend grammar schools they offer the places out to the ones who have passed their 11+ in the Southend borough and then open it out to people who live outside that.
Think we will move. John said he fancies a change and it will be nearer my parents and johns mum.

Schmushe
Blissful

#12 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 pm

I've heard there are people from Braintree and Colchester way that have come to the hammer schools in southend. What a commute!!

We have thought about it but josh wants futures so its not Exactly miles away. We'll go and see shoebury in July on the open day just in case. I think because we love the kids current school we would find it hard to move them right now but who knows what will happen as we have a few more months before we need to start seriously thinking about it. I would like them both to go to belfairs but that's a lotto win dream.

weezypops
Site Guru

#13 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Because I liked it so much I would love our two to go to Westcliff or Southend but it would depend on them, obviously. Otherwise our catchment school is Chase, though I imagine we'd apply to Belfairs too. It's a shame because a lot of Felix's schoolfriends would be in catchment for Belfairs but we aren't.

Schmushe
Blissful

#14 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:12 pm

I think as well it depends on the child. Some schools may not be suitable for some but brilliant for others. We love our primary but others had issues. I don't want to rule out shoebury as its so close to us lol
Alexas already got her heart on an all girls school anyway. Mad child.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#15 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Yeah it depends loads on the child. I always said Edie wouldnt suit Southend high as even though she's intelligent she would probably struggle but at shoebury she doesn't she is top set of everything and doing fantastically. My friends boy passed his 11+ with flying colours and is doing fantastically at westcliff.
My mums a teacher and has taught in most schools and has friends in most schools so also has a pretty good idea of the goings on!
Yours will be alright Michelle from what you have said they are more suited to grammar schools.

Return to “Education”