babychic

Leaving your children alone in the car...

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
weezypops
Site Guru

Leaving your children alone in the car...

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:30 pm

I am loathe to share anything from the Mail and don't know who this man is but thought this was an interesting topic - do you leave your children alone in the car (or anywhere else)?

PCSO branded me 'disgusting' for leaving my son in a car for minutes, says TV star Laurence Fox

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2t2VOfeJ0
As Detective Sergeant James Hathaway in popular ITV drama Lewis, Laurence Fox is used to dealing with errant behaviour.
But it was the actor who was on the receiving end of a dressing-down from the police yesterday.
Fox, 35, says he was branded a ‘disgusting and appalling human being’ by a Police Community Support Officer after he left his five-year-old son, Winston, briefly unattended in his car while he went to a chemist to buy medicine for his 22-month-old son, Eugene.

The actor, who is married to The Secret Diary Of A Call Girl star Billie Piper, told his followers on Twitter: ‘Park in loading bay to run into chemist to get medicine for sick child. Eldest son asks to stay in the car.
'I agree as I will be minutes. Return to car to find police community support officer telling me my son has been screaming in the car.
'He looks fine to me. I ask him if he is ok and he says he’s fine. I ask him if he was screaming, he says “no”.
‘Get in the car. As I close the door ... officer calls me a “disgusting and appalling human being” and infers my son is lying.’

Fox, son of actor James Fox and cousin of Silent Witness star Emilia Fox, said he would complain formally about the officer.
‘I cannot believe it,’ he said. ‘I’ve got their number. Looking forward to writing to whoever it is you write to when you are harrased [sic] by the police.’

Technically, it is an offence to leave any child under 16 alone for any period of time, even briefly, in a locked car.
Section One of the Children And Young Persons Act 1933 makes it an offence to ‘neglect or abandon’ a child, but the law does not make clear what this amounts to.
A prosecution would depend on the circumstances and could, in theory, lead to up to ten years in jail.
But law experts said that in every case a parent needs to take into account the age and maturity of the child.

In a car, for instance, an older child might be able to release the handbrake or get out. If the doors were locked then the child might be safer, but they could become distressed if they found they were trapped.
Fox lives in a village near Midhurst in West Sussex with former pop singer Miss Piper, 31, who was previously married to DJ Chris Evans.
This is not Fox’s first brush with the police. In 2007 the actor was given a formal caution after punching a photographer as he left the Garrick Theatre in London where he had been appearing alongside Miss Piper in the play Treats.

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

Re: Leaving your children alone in the car...

#2 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am

I Think it comes down to common sense.

I do leave my kids in the car from time to time, i.e when at petrol station, more hassle and time to get them in and out. and sometimes i leave them alone in the house to run to postbox or nip next door literally only gone 2mins.

I try to do shopping and get petrol when kids at school or Darren home but sometimes it can't be helped, I would never leave them for a long period of time or in the car if it was out of sight.
Leanne and children xxxx

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 am

I agree Leanne. I've left mine in the car when getting petrol, though I have to admit it did make me feel quite anxious! I've also left the big ones in the house when dropping something at the neighbours, going to the ice cream van, something like that.

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:33 am

I have left AJ whilst going to pay for petrol but always lock the car. She knows which button to press to unlock it from the inside and knows never to open it.
J I obviously don't mind as much as he's older and often refuses to budge these days anyway. Again I lock him in and he knows how to get out etc. I think the longest I've left him is popping into the chemist to get something. Despite the fact he's old enough to basically be out and about by himself now and is now out more on his own / with friends than with is.

Never even considered it when they were younger though.

Millie_loves_Luca
High-flyer
High-flyer

#5 Unread post by Millie_loves_Luca » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:54 pm

I don't do it, their dad does and I don't agree with it if the car is Out of his sight. Saw the article and the reaction does seem extreme in those particular circumstances. Xx

Return to “Speaker's Corner”