babychic

Children could face nine-hour school day

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
weezypops
Site Guru

Children could face nine-hour school day

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:52 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 95549.html
Children could face being at school for nine hours a day and see holidays cut under plans reportedly being examined by the Conservatives.

The proposals, drawn up by David Cameron's former policy chief Paul Kirby, would see school days extended to run from about 9am until 6pm, from the current hours of around 8.30am to 3.10pm. Holidays would also be reduced from 13 weeks to seven.

Mr Kirby told The Sun that it would solve a wide range of issues, "transforming the lives of most households in the UK within two years".

It was suggested the extended days could reduce youth crime, boost education standards and prepare children for the world of work by getting them used to full days. It could also allow parents to return to full-time work.

The Sun said Tory ministers were examining the plans, which would apply to all children in England between the ages of five and 18, in time for the party's 2015 general election manifesto.

Mr Kirby said: "This is a once in a generation reset that wouldn't detract from the current school freedom agenda. It also involves dramatically expanding what schools actually do - into sport and other activities.

"It would also go a long way to solving the crisis around childcare affordability, a major issue for many parents."

A Department for Education spokesman said: "We are already giving all schools the freedom to set the length of the school day and term. Many academies and free schools offer extended opening hours, and we want more schools to take up these freedoms.

"We will obviously consider recommendations for further reforms."

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Children could face nine-hour school day

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:54 am

What do you think?

Personally, I think this is totally absurd. Prepare them for the work of work? They are CHILDREN! When do they get to have fun, hang out with friends, see their families? I get that it could be useful for working parents and for older children who might want to spend more time in school to study so think as a flexible thing it could be useful but to make it compulsory would be awful!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#3 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

The fact that the Sun newspaper is quoted so many times in this article make me wonder if this is the whole story or whether it has been blown out of proportion. I haven't gone and read the exact papers, researched the policy and doubt I will have time today. So forgive me if I am talking rubbish.

Also it says the gov't is examining plans - the gov't didn't make the plans tho - some ex-policy writer has dreamt them up, and the gov't may look at it and say er.... no! But of course they can't do that without taking things into account, 'examining them' as then it would get out that they don't listen to people's ideas.

Just taken from the Mail - "A Government source said ministers were keen for more schools to experiment with different hours, but said Mr Kirby’s call for a compulsory 45-hour week went ‘well beyond’ anything being considered." I read an article yesterday that talked about how they want to try and change hours/holidays slightly so they can get holiday companies to lower prices - I am presuming this is what the gov't want to do and are trying to do

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:40 pm

Well it does just say being considered -not that they are doing it. Gove has been pushing for longer school days and shorter holidays for a long time though - long before the holiday company drama came up which makes me think any current connection to it is just attempts to win votes. I just feel they are in school enough as it is, certainly at primary age, and that there is too much pressure generally on kids to grow up (SATS, 'preparing for juniors') and on mums to get back to work, rather than on spending time as a family.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:06 pm

oh ok. fair enough. I mis-understood. sorry.

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:12 pm

No apology necessary, I just didn't want you to think I was being sensationalist!

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#7 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:03 pm

I get the long hrs to enable parents to get jobs around school hrs, but there are only so many jobs and everyone fighting for the same job.

I think it is too long a day especially for infants as they want to start from age 5 my boys are shattered and hungry at 3.30,let alone 6pm.

If this was to be put in place they can't expect homework to be done aswell as reading as I physiscally at times struggle to get boy to read coz they are tired at moment.

Financially i don't think it would work as they would have to schedule dinner time into it aswell, and with free school meals coming into force as of sept, I can not see them allowing children 2 free meals a day
Leanne and children xxxx

Return to “Speaker's Corner”