babychic

Budget 2012

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
Schmushe
Blissful

Budget 2012

#1 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Did anyone watch this years Budget?

What did you think of it? How will it affect you / your family? Will you be better or worse off?

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Budget 2012

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:17 pm

I have to admit I was expecting more from this years budget. I know they are raving about helping those that work more and giving them the benefits, but I didnt see any evidence of that.
I agree with the 37p increase in smoking - it doesnt affect me and I know there are alot unhappy about it. But I can see the positives, that if your smoking your more likely to develop breathing difficulties / cancer and need more treatment fromt he NHS - however I cant imagine many people giving up smoking for the sake of 37p!!
I didnt hear much about alcohol (well I didnt hear anything about it), or families on benefits etc...
There is a new thing coming in regarding child benefit - but they havent made it clear if it is for both adults in the home, or just tested on one person (if you earn £50-£60k CB will be gradually reduced and taken away - anything over £60k and your not entitled to it).
There seemd to be more about tax for buisnesses this year and repaying debt

The Wallace and Gromit comment did make me chuckle though!!

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Glad the child benefit thing is 50k not 40k as we would have lost out otherwise (despite me only earning about 10k) - it looks like it will be either person earning 50k though. Think Kester won't be getting THAT big of a payrise though!

Schmushe
Blissful

#4 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:04 pm

Is it based on one person then Louise? Missed that bit and wasnt quite sure if it was a combined income of that or just if one person earns it?

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Schmushe wrote:Is it based on one person then Louise? Missed that bit and wasnt quite sure if it was a combined income of that or just if one person earns it?
It looks like it, yes, which in my opinion is a massive con. They said it will be tapered rather than stopped for anyone earning between £50k and £60k so they wouldn't suddenly have it stopped.

While it looks like we won't be too worse off, it does seem to be a typical Tory budget to me - cut corporation tax etc. so big businesses won't have as much to pay, and take the money away from the pensioners instead. :evil:

Return to “Speaker's Corner”