babychic

Headlice

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: Headlice

#16 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I do remember the fear that going to the nit nurse had tho. We were all so woried incase she found something and yet - we had no problems at all! We all worried all day about being called to see her and 'what if'! Infact - I don't think I got headlice until I was a leader at Girls Brigade and then when I became a TA in school

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#17 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Jacks school also sends out a letter regarding this when they no theres been a case of them.
I regularly check Jacks hair so does Dom at bath times etc, the best time :lol: x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#18 Unread post by Jenn » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Did you go in and talk to the head?

Schmushe
Blissful

#19 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:27 pm

I havent as yet, I am part of the parent council, so will bring it up at the next council meeting.

Nicola1984
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

#20 Unread post by Nicola1984 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of parents don't know what they are actually looking for when they check their child's hair!

When Shannon was at preschool they made all the parents watch a 10 min video which showed what to look for, where to look and then gave advice on how to treat and then tips on how to prevent them. I think this was a good idea, it certainly helped me as I'd never had to deal with them before so it made me aware of what to look for.

My girls have only ever had them once, Caitlyn said her head had been itching at school so I checked and only found a few but they had already passed to Shannon but at least I caught them early on. The school do send notes home if there is a case but its only for individual classes where I think it should be for all KS1 classes as they all mix together in the playground so could be passed between classes.

I now use a Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner on the girls hair to try and prevent them and always make sure their hair is tied up, usually in plaits so the risk of them catching them is less.

Essex Mums Book Challenge 2012: 299/20,000 Pages
Currently Reading:

supasista
Baby
Baby

#21 Unread post by supasista » Thu May 10, 2012 8:31 am

It doesn't make sense that schools can't tell parents. How are they supposed to treat the issue if they don't know their children have headlice? Saying that though, it should be the parent's responsibility to check regularly. I guess we've been lucky that we've not had to deal with this!

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#22 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

i think it is seen as targeting parents if teachers tell them directly, and i guess potentially cause friction with other parents. They dont tell them direct, but usually send out a letter to the whole class advising parents to check and treat their children.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Speaker's Corner”