babychic

MMR Debate

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

MMR Debate

#1 Unread post by rachel jane » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Did anyone watch daybreak this morning and it was probably on a few news clips about the MMR and how some parents still aren't vacinating their children because of 8 years ago when all that rubbish which was proved not true and now measles is on the rise?
All my 3 have had all their jabs and while i might of had a moments hesitation and my head saying "What if?" i still think its better to be protected that not. One of my friends hasn't vacinated her children and she has an American book with all this jargon in it about why its dangerous and stuff. My cousins kids also all had their jabs seperately.
I also had the flu jab when i was preggers.
What are all your views on it ladies?

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: MMR Debate

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:40 pm

To be perfectly honest I have no time for the anti-vaccine crowd. I totally understand being cautious if your child has had a reaction, and in America where they get a LOT more vaccinations than our kids, I can see why people might want to space them out. However, what's in the vaccines is perfectly safe - a lot of the anti-MMR people talk about there being bad stuff in them, for example, mercury - but we all have mercury in our bodies anyway! Yes, it's toxic at high levels, but not at the levels that are in vaccinations - it's just scaremongering, and very dangerous scaremongering because it put all the other children (even the vaccinated ones) at risk - it puts society as a whole at risk.

To have epidemics of potentially deadly diseases like measles because of people not vaccinating, purely based on a study that was completely thrown out as non-scientific, factually incorrect nonsense is so very worrying. I totally agree with you that it's better to be protected.

Schmushe
Blissful

#3 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Both my kids have had the MMR injection, and the only reason I was hesitant was because Josh had a reaction with every injection hes ever had, and he has a egg allergy, which no one knew what would happen once they put the vaccine into him.
Obviously that made me cautious when Alexa had it, for the same reason - just in case!!

I never had any doubts otherwise - and although I read all the info, researched into it, I never had a 2nd thought about them having the jab

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:32 pm

William had measles after having the MMR jab and he had bad and for a very long time! I cannot imagine how bad it would have been if he hadn't have had the MMR to tame it. I was scared and worried for a long time.

I am scared about all vaccinations - always the what if! But mind you - I am nervous about taking a paracetemol unless I really really need.

I met someone the other day who blamed their child's slowness on the mmr (we compared her son to mine and there was hardly any difference)

I didn't have the flu jab when pregnant. I had already had swine flu. I was so ill - I just didn't feel like my body could cope with it. I know it is safe but I just couldn't manage it.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:56 am

Ahh yes Jack had his mmr jab the one all together and Ace will too.
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

lauraannek
Expectant
Expectant

#6 Unread post by lauraannek » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm

My 2 have both had the MMR and all their vaccines i've never not thought about not giving them - I would rather they have the vaccine than be really ill with life threatening illness sometimes.
Alfie will also have all the vaccines and I had the flu jab when pregnant with Alfie with no side effects as its not a live vaccine I was told by the nurse so cant actually give you flu.

I find it hard to belive people would leave their child open to catching these illnesses - although can see cautions with egg allergies etc as we had this worry with William too luckily he was fine.
I think its sad that these illnesses were more or less erradicated in our country and now they are on the rise again
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gillybean
High-flyer
High-flyer

#7 Unread post by Gillybean » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 am

Both my 2 have had the mmr jabs and Tabitha will too, I never had the flu jab though.

My twin brother's little girl had the mmr jab then within 12 hours it had stripped her of her immunity to uv rays and she had to go to great ormond street hospital for treatment to build up her immune system to the sun again and she had to wear sun block all the time and be totally covered in the sun, apparently a very rare and never before seen reaction in a child she may of well been the first this has happened to but as a very rare complication that nobody could of foreseen. The benefits of the jabs out weigh the risks by far.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:51 am

So - you know we have to wait until pre-school booster to get the MMR top up. Does anybody know (Gina/Kris maybe or anyone else?) if you can get your child to have the booster earlier? Just that - we were told that if William had lived in earlier - he would not have got measles because they give the booster much closer to the first one and would have made him fully immune.

I am thinking that if the jab did not make him fully immune (like it does for most children) whether James may also get the disease after the first jab but before the top up?

I don't know if I could go through measles again! I mean I could obviously but not sure I want to if I don't have to!

Schmushe
Blissful

#9 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 pm

What do you mean Jenn 'lived in'? prematurity wise?

Both my kids had injections when they reached the 'actual age' not the corrected one, except Josh whos 1st ever injection was delayed slightly - but in regards to the MMRs - they had them in the time scale they were meant to - and Josh was born at 28 weeks and Alexa at 33 weeks.

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#10 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 pm

In England i doubt you will be able to. I got Brandons reminder letter for his booster last year so i took him straight to the doctors before i forgot, but it turned out it was a week earlier than the earliest age for the booster and they wouldnt do it. The nurse said there are very strict guidelines and the higher up people are very funny and strict about early AND late vaccinations. There is a bracket of 3 yrs 8 months to something like 5 years for it to be done. She didnt say why they are funny about it though. But she did say someone was in before me whos childs booster was late and she was having a hell of a time finding out what to do from the people 'above' because they wouldnt just let her give it. She did also say that the age has already been brought down.

i think it is something you will have to ask with your own personal gp/nurse.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#11 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

sorry - typo - oops

if he had been GIVEN IT (the booster) earlier like in some of the London boroughs

Schmushe
Blissful

#12 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Ah that makes more sense. I know now you have to wait for your letter stating your child is due immunisations, and you cant have them done before the date it says on the sheet. I delayed one of Alexas ones and kept getting reminders but when I phoned the surgery, they said it was ok because you ahve a gap afterwards if need be.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#13 Unread post by nubs » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I think the reminder letters come from the PCT who more than likely have a database of vaccines and who has had what, they probably have the guidelines to keep costs down, Jack had his MMR just before he went into reception, I asked the GP as he was the youngest of the year and I wanted him to have it sooner rather than later and they gave it to him so might be worth asking x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Return to “Speaker's Corner”