babychic

How do you discipline your child?

For the discussion of controversial topics and serious debate.
supasista
Baby
Baby

How do you discipline your child?

#1 Unread post by supasista » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Just wondering how you discipline your children when they are naughty. What works for you and your partner? I try the whole Supernanny naughty corner technique but I find that it isn't always effective.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: How do you discipline your child?

#2 Unread post by rachel jane » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:27 pm

To be honest i don't find i have to disipline my children. I just tell them in a stern voice and a few times they have been sat on a step or sent to their rooms but on the whole their pretty good kids.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 pm

We do a mix of time outs (so same as naughty step but we try to promote the idea that it's a time to sit and calm down/think about what they've done) and of taking away toys/privileges for doing things wrong. We tend to count first, so if they're doing something they're told they need to do whatever it is we're asking or something else will happen (so for example, count to five to stop mucking about in the bathroom or they'll lose one of their bedtime stories). If they repeatedly do the thing wrong, they'll get a time out, and if they carry on having a strop during time out they'll lose toys. Generally that's it, and it normally works, though takes different approaches sometimes. Felix responds better to counting and time outs than Iris, Iris responds well to a lot of praise and wanting to be good etc, so sometimes I'll remind her that a certain thing isn't how good children act and she actually responds well to it.

I have smacked them on the bum before in the heat of the moment but for me it didn't really achieve anything and just made me feel awful!

supasista
Baby
Baby

#4 Unread post by supasista » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 pm

weezypops wrote:We tend to count first, so if they're doing something they're told they need to do whatever it is we're asking or something else will happen (so for example, count to five to stop mucking about in the bathroom or they'll lose one of their bedtime stories).
omg, I have now just realised that I actually do the counting thing with my four year old and she responds to that much more better than naughty corner. She will usually stop whatever she is doing wrong once I start counting.

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:41 pm

I think as long as you're consistent it doesn't matter too much what you do - I've found with our two that they go through phases of boundary testing and will act up a bit but as long as the way you react is consistent (though that's easier said than done sometimes) and that you see any punishment through (so not threatening something you know you'll never enforce like cancelling Christmas :lol:) they tend to get out of the phase relatively unscathed!

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#6 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Ohh Father Christmas is a gooden :lol: Always works :lol:

Like all kids Jack likes to push boundarys especially when he's tired. If hes naughty he will be sent to his room. That normally works and he knows he has done wrong and comes out after a few minutes and apologises without being asked.
We havent really had many issues wit Jack so cant really add much more.
If I have to raise my voice to him a few times he normally stops and thinks oops! :lol:

When he was younger we have counted... However now he is older I dont think we need to. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Like Rachel - all I need is a stern no or thats not nice or someting for William and he will burst into tears. then we hug and make up and talk it over.

James doesn't understand no yet. he still thinks it is funny when i get cross. oh well - HOPEFULLY it will come? Have no idea when William grasped the concept?

Schmushe
Blissful

#8 Unread post by Schmushe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Alexa is 4 and we use the counting method still, sometimes she will go to her room - it all depends on what it is tbh.

Josh is 8 and he has things taken away from him or told hes going to bed early.

When it involves the pair of them, they are split up - one sits in the bedroom and one sits outside the bathroom door until their 'time' is up. Alexa gets 5 mins and Josh gets 9.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#9 Unread post by nubs » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

We do counting or Sam takes himself to the bottom step - if they are being really out of control I will remove them from what is happening to make sure they calm down and think about things - Sam recently has been pushing boundary's and we have had to send him to his room to chill
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#10 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:53 am

Ohh bless our kiddie winks :lol: I think thats it like Lou said what ever you do, belongs its consistant and they no when they have done wrong then it all works in different ways x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Return to “Speaker's Corner”