babychic

March Musings

The place for general conversation. Share the events of your day, something funny that happened to you or just the general ramblings of your mind.
weezypops
Site Guru

March Musings

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 am

Hi everyone, just thought I'd say hello and see if anyone's around and what we're all up to. I have Felix and Iris both off school today with high temperatures, headaches etc. They've caught a nasty bug that knocked Dexter out last weekend. Really hoping for some improvement by tomorrow as it's Dexter's birthday party. Can you believe he is four next week?! Where does the time go?

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: March Musings

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:39 pm

I've been at work all day. Just collected William from mini polo and about to take James to Beavers and William is having a game of tennis. Looking forward to bedtime!

Hope your poorly ones get better soon - we had the nasty bug do several rounds around Feb half term - it was not pleasant!

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Jenny, is William going to one of those taster days at WHSB? Felix is going to the science one tomorrow, if he's feeling well enough.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 am

Yes - he really, really wanted the science one :( but didn't get it :( We ended up with our third choice which was the language one. He is looking forward to it still but would have loved the science one. Such a shame especially as we replied immediately and he has friends who replied on the last day who got science but hey ho. His one isn't until May either which we feel is a little late. We had an 11+ meeting at school last week and we are def putting him in him for the assessment but not really thought much else apart from that. He got a letter about a mock test on SUnday morning which he is trying out - I suppose we will know more about how he is doing and what he needs to work on after we get the results from that? We'll see.

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:50 pm

I think it was just luck really wasn't it? Felix was very lucky and got his first choice, as did a few of his friends, so had five of his close friends there yesterday too. He totally loved it and it's really made him think Westcliff is where he'd like to go if he passes, though we're going to look at Southend too, and King John. He doesn't even want to look at Chase but I think we should so that he realises it wouldn't be the end of the world if he went there. Do they do any 11+ clubs/tutoring at William's school? There's an 11+ club at Chalkwell every week which is open to everyone, and most people who want their kids to take it have tutors for them, which sounded crazy to me at first but I think it's because so many are Chase catchment and it doesn't have a great reputation! Plus being so close to the grammars they are the local schools for most people! Although Chase is our catchment, door to door it's the same distance as both Westcliff and Southend. Strange time though, kind of want it to over.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Glad he enjoyed it. Our school will start 'familiarisation' classes after Easter so I presume William will go to those - I think there is one for English and one fore Maths. Presuming we will get a letter about them soon? (When they were metioned a couple of weeks ago - it was made clear that they are only familiarisation and not actually teaching the children anything!) I don't think just anyone can go to them though? I know we have to pay but I think it is invitation only to the classes.

So does Felix have a tutor or go to classes?

weezypops
Site Guru

#7 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm

He goes to the club, but loads of them do (about 50 apparently) - it's free and anyone can join but I guess that some will drop out the closer it gets to the time. They mainly go over things in previous tests etc. He also does a weekly tutoring session with his teacher from last year too and has done for a while. It's not strictly 11+ stuff but I spoke to him last year when people were talking about getting tutors and asked him if he thought it was necessary and he said that it did help, if only to brush up on aspects they need to improve on etc. He said Felix should pass, he's bright enough etc. but that the extra help would just be a bonus. They do a bit of maths and looking at the verbal reasoning stuff, then a lot of creative writing and Felix loves it, so much so that he wants to carry on going after the 11+ has finished, and Iris is now keen to go too. Tutoring 'for the test' seems ridiculous to me but I've seen such an improvement with his writing that I'm glad he's doing this as it seems to be having a really positive effect overall.

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#8 Unread post by Jenn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 pm

hmmm..... I think we really need to get to grips with this a bit more and start doing some proper stuff at home. AS I say - he did a mock test thing today and we will get the rsults next week so I suppose that will flag the areas that need work on - hopefully there won't be too much.

Return to “A Bit of a Chat”