babychic

September 2016

The place for general conversation. Share the events of your day, something funny that happened to you or just the general ramblings of your mind.
nubs
Retiree
Retiree

September 2016

#1 Unread post by nubs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 am

Hi all
Kids nearly back at school and football season is about to begin :)

Jack has now decided that he is not sitting his 11+ now, even after all the prep and revision he has done, he was quite grown up about it and has thought about things and he wants to go to Eastwood as it has all the sports facilities that he wants and likes the school most but he is doing the sports preference test at some point in September.

Sam is going into year 3 and has really grown up this summer as has Jack, both are doing well with their goalkeeping, they are playing friendlies this weekend so back to normality of football after nearly the whole summer off plus we are going to the Emirates tomorrow

My swim teaching is going well plus I have ventured into open water swimming Ekkk! Would love to teach full time but daytime hours are like golddust

The new house is going well, have done a few things putting in doors, decorating and a new fireplace, but mainly is been nice having a proper garden again and living up the road of a good friend and her kids so have had quite a few bbq's x

Hope everyone is ok and have enjoyed the summer x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

Re: September 2016

#2 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi Kris and everyone else

My two are very excited about going back to school. William into year 5 and James into year 1. I can't believe we are back to school already - I had planned to do loads in the holiday and only really done half of it (and haven't even picked up books or pencils!)

I am no longer a Scout leader. My last day was the day we got back from summer camp which was just so amazingly awesome, so many fantastic memories. But yeah.......... 17 years of being a Scout leader.......... feel very sad about it. Mike is giving up the troop at October Half term as that is when our next lot go up to Explorers (the next section).

Tennis is the game of choice here Kris - and both boys love it - William would spend every pound he has on tennis lessons if he could, he breathes, eats and sleeps tennis and actually he is quite good (I mean no expert but he can get a really good rally going with another decent player - not me then!)

It sounds like Jack thought about his decision and Eastwood is a good school - what is the sports preference test? I suppose we will have to sit with William and discuss the 11+ choice with him soon. The school start revision classes at easter so we have a while.

When do you teach swimming? I know our swimming teacher is occasionally left in the deep end (lol) and trying to find last minute swimming teachers to cover classes.

Talking of swimming - William bought himself a Snorkelling set and he took to it like a fish in water - I was honestly so amazed at how well he did it - super proud.

Anyway - better get back to my ironing! We have my nephew round today as my sister is working - my mum had a knee replacement yesterday so someone needs to be at the shop - so they are all upstairs making a lot of noise and a lot of mess but it means I can get my holiday washing done as we only got back late Wednesday night. (We were so unlucky with flights - 3 hour delay going out and 3 and half hour delay coming home!!!!!) Was a lovely holiday tho!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#3 Unread post by nubs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 pm

The sport preference test is for a selected place at Eastwood so if he passes it he could automatically get allocated a space before the secondary school allocation in April, but it is likely because we are in area they will give it to an out of area person

That's good about the boys and tennis, it's lovely when they are passionate about a sport, and have a talent for it

I teach Monday, Tuesday, Thursday evening and Saturday - will be doing open water in the spring so the other days are free at the moment, I love it, it's not a job to me more a hobbie that I get paid to do x

How comes you have given up being a leader with the scouts?
Kris, Jack & Sam
[/url]

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:31 pm

There are two troops in our group and the Monday troop is ran by the same leaders as the cubs and on the same night as cubs and so all the children obviously choose to go to the Monday troop meaning that we haven't been getting many come up and our numbers have dwindled as our older scouts have left. Never ever thought that we would stop but with only 5 scouts come November - we made the decision to close. Cried my heart out when making the decision as don't really want to stop but there was no other option really - there will be positives to it tho - lots of positives to it too but I already miss the Scouts!

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:20 pm

Kris, I guess Eastwood would be a good fit for him being sporty and all. Does he not even want to take it to see how he does? Might be a breeze with the pressure off! Is Eastwood your catchment school?

Jenny, that's such a shame about the scouts! The group that Felix and Iris go to are massively oversubscribed for Cubs and Beavers and have a good number for Scouts, such a shame you're not getting as many. Are there no options for you to do it on the monday instead?

I can't believe we're at the end of the holidays already! Ours were great but all the kids really wanted to do was see friends so there was lots of that - nice an cheap at least!

Felix is going into year five and can't wait - he has a really great class this year full of some of his best friends. He's been very lucky in fact! He really likes his new teacher too and is generally buzzing about all of it. They start 11+ tutoring at school this year but he's already been doing some with his year 4 teacher. Most people have been getting tutoring in fact. Maybe it's just more prevalent at Chalkwell because we're so close to the grammars, and because for many of us, Chase is the catchment school, which isn't great! Most of his friends are keen on going to the grammars, so he is too! I can't really believe they are at that age already!

Iris is going into year 3 and has stayed in the same class. She's looking forward to it too - she's a bit daunted but used to it from Felix going which helps! She did really well in her SATS at the end of last year so it will be interesting to see how they stream her for maths etc. Usually she keeps a low profile around the middle for most of the year then suddenly accelerates towards the end - the teachers are always quite surprised!

Dexter is in his last year of preschool and is looking forward to being one of the big kids. Think he will be a bit confused that lots of his friends have left when he goes back! Seems crazy that we will be applying for school for him this year. He should have no problem getting a place at Chalkwell but it's always a worry!

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#6 Unread post by nubs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:00 pm

I don't think he would make any effort if he was to sit it, he has done well with the revision but not going to force him
Yes we are in the catchment
Sam done really well in his SATs too, and exceeded all of the targets for his year in this new curriculum process x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[/url]

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#7 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:06 am

Well... they've been at week at school and it is already like they never stopped for 6 weeks.

Not long till half term....... already looking forward to it as miss them loads!

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:23 am

Yeah, it all gets back to normal very quickly doesn't it!

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by Jenn » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Gosh - it's been hot! William had cross-country try outs today - we are so proud of him - he came 11th out of the boys in his year (about 55) - we are gobsmacked at how brilliant that is - he has become so sporty in the past year and this proves it :)

We have roald dahl day on Friday - did lots of people have it today?

Schmushe
Blissful

#10 Unread post by Schmushe » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:06 am

Hi. It's been a Long time.....

All is ok here. Busy with work. - Still waiting for our inspection. I'm now an assessor for new staff who need to do their nvq 1.
Kids are doing well. Josh is in year 9 and found a talent for art the last few years. His predicted grade is a 1. He's growing up fast and already discussing options.
Alexa is in year 5. She still plays piano and writes her own songs lol. Still does ballet and also doing bits for the 11+. She wants to go to Southend high.
Our dog Kacey is now 6 months and bloody huge. Love her to bits though even though she digs up my garden.

x

Leanne&5children
Expectant
Expectant

#11 Unread post by Leanne&5children » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi all

Been a while, not much going on here, Alex is now yr 4 ( still having so many problems with him), Brendan and Sean are in yr 3 both finished yr 2 way above the rest of their classes lets hope the jnrs help them to continue to thrive, and Amy and Hayley have now started preschool (under 2 yr funding) so finally get some me time but can't really do a lot in the 3 hrs their there, so I'm here there and everywhere. Darren still st the airport and we are still on the housing list for a bigger house. Jessica has started seniors as well she seems to like it too.
Leanne and children xxxx

Return to “A Bit of a Chat”