babychic

Homebirths

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
natalie1982
Toddler
Toddler

Homebirths

#1 Unread post by natalie1982 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:54 pm

hello there
i was wondering on the criteria for homebirths. i had my dd at 40+4 but had a 3rd degree tear so when i asked to have a homebirth with my 2nd pregnancy i was told i wasnt allowed due to there being a high risk due to the 3rd degree tear, anyhow turns out i wouldnt of been able to have one anyway as my son was born at 36 weeks. when i became pregnant with my 3rd i asked again and was told due to my previous 2 pregnancies and both my son and daughter have medical problems, one being a bleeding disorder and my son having alot of medical issues, again its not something that would warrant a homebirth even if i reached term which i felt quite sad about. i went on to have my son at 39+3 after alot of problems again including bleeding throughout
i have said no more children lol however if i was to decide to have my 4th god help me, would i again be told a big fat no or would they consider it?
obv more kids, less people to have them when the time comes, and with my 3rd i got to the hospital and he was born 50 mins later so worried i wouldnt make it nxt time lol.
i know you have to be low risk and full term but would the history of my other children and pregnancies really stop a homebirth from happening
sorry its so long just wanted u to get the bigger picture
Holly (7), Matthew (5), Samuel (2)

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by artyfartymack » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:06 pm

I can understand the bleeding being an issue, but I know prem birth isn't as my midwife told me she would be happy to let me have a home birth if I had another (My son was born at 32+6). Obvioulsy if I went into prem labour again I'd have to go into hospital though.

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 pm

artyfartymack wrote:I can understand the bleeding being an issue, but I know prem birth isn't as my midwife told me she would be happy to let me have a home birth if I had another (My son was born at 32+6). Obvioulsy if I went into prem labour again I'd have to go into hospital though.
Perhaps it depends on the reasons for prematurity? As in, if you had a condition that was considered high risk and made premature labour more likely?

But as you say, you can only have a homebirth if you go full term anyway, so in an otherwise normal pregnancy, I'd have thought the risk of premature labour would be a moot point anyway.

natalie1982
Toddler
Toddler

#4 Unread post by natalie1982 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am

i dont think the prem thing was to much of an issue with sam, even though i was expected to have him early he thankfully didnt, and as i was induced at 36 weeks due to PROM at 32 and 35 weeks with matthew it wasnt a natural labour.

with sam it was all the previous problems thrown in, plus holly and matthews medical background plus all the probs i had in his pregnancy.

wondered if all that would stop me having a homebirth if i requested it again.

as i wasnt allowed a homebirth i requested an induction date which i got however sam arrived 8 hours b4 i was due to be there to be induced lol
Holly (7), Matthew (5), Samuel (2)

hakewill75
Newborn
Newborn

#5 Unread post by hakewill75 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:27 am

Natalie

I worked as a independent midwife for a few years before going back into Nhs work. And as a rule we wouldnt encourage people who were high risk to have a home birth, due to it being 'high risk', however it is not a 'NO'. It is something that you would need to discuss with your midwife once you are actually pregnant as all pregnancies vary and obviously I do not know your medical history.
Good luck
Michelle, Mum of Ethan 6, and Lauren 4 - Full time Midwife and wife

twinklepaws
Student
Student

#6 Unread post by twinklepaws » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 pm

I've had 3 home births and 2 hospital births.

I was told that you can't be refused a home birth, as everyone has the right to have their baby where they want. They can just advise against it.

Have a look at www.homebirth.org.uk there is loads of info on there. x
Mummy to Callum Josh Ben Ollie Alfie & Mia

BrandonsMum08
Thirty-something
Thirty-something

#7 Unread post by BrandonsMum08 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:51 pm

I cant say with regards to your situation, but this time round i have asked about a homebirth and i was told they dont encourage high risk pregnancies to have homebirths, however they dont say no. The term they used with me was "an informed decision".
I also had a rather nasty tear, and lots of stitches that took more than 6 weeks to dissolve, and Brandons heartrate also dropped dangerously low. Im also quite overweight now also, which that puts me in the high risk brackets on its own before taking the other things into consideration.
They have told me as high risk they advise a hospital birth, but if i have my heart set on a home birth then i would have to have a meeting with the consultant at 36weeks to review my pregnancy to make an informed decision on what would be safest for me and the baby.

I guess if you were to have your heart set on it then i cant see why they couldnt do the same with you, and have a consultation meeting a few weeks before EDD to inform you on what would be best and safest and why.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#8 Unread post by Bruch70 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Natalie,
Firstly, we all really must stop using the word ALLOWED- it is my biggest bug bear! Women are able to make informed choices which are best for themselves and their babies but sometimes that principal is lost within the system with a 'one size fits all' approach. I know that homebirths can be very safe for healthy mums and babies with term pregnancies and if this is the case for you if you ever have a 4th, than you have every reason to plan and be supported in a homebirth. If you ever have any issues, contact the supervisor of midwives- they are midwives who have an additional role to ensure that women get the best and safest care and should help you get what you are asking for, even if goes against what they think is best. Failing that, you can contact PALS (PATIENT ADVICE AND LIAISION SERVICE) who should also be able to support you.

Obviously, there are times when homebirth is not the safest option, which is when there are medical issues for the women, the baby or prematurity. If women find themselves being told they aren't allowed or it isn't policy etc etc and feel this isn't addressing their needs, you would be within your rights to ask them for evidence which demonstrates what they are advising you.

Given what you have said here, i think if all went well in a future pregnancy, i can't see a definate reason why homebirth would be ruled out for you.

Good luck if you ever do go for a 4th!

warm wishes,
Vicky

Return to “Ask the Midwife”