babychic

Hemorrhaging

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

Hemorrhaging

#1 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm

How common is Hemorrhaging after giving birth?

My other half's mum has worried the life out of me because she had 3 children close to age like me then had after 2 after, she said she has blood loss the size of liver and was lucky she healed otherwise she's had need a blood transfusion? I did bleed quite heavy after faith and even bleed lots when walking from sofa to just turn the tele channel...im worried about this now..Any information would be nice :)

hakewill75
Newborn
Newborn

#2 Unread post by hakewill75 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi Kelly

There are a few reasons why a woman has bad bleeding after birth, and I suggest you have a chat with your midwife about your concerns, each lady is different and the amount of blood they lose varies.

After delivery, you can still retain bits of the placenta (A retained placenta), this affects 1% of ladies and maily premature births, as the cors is thinner and more likely to break off.

(Primary haemorrage) is when you lose more than 500ml of blood within 24 hours - this only affects around 6% of deliveries and is more likely to follow prolonged labour / forceped deliveries.

(secondary haemorrage) is sudden loss of blood from 24 hours to 6 weeks after delivery. This only affects 1 in 50-200 people and is usually because of retained membranes / placenta - there are usually side effects for the mother which if picked up by yourself, midwife, GP can be treated with antibiotics.

Like I said before, the chances of these things happening to you are remarkably slim, but if you are concerned speak to your Midwife, who has a better knowledge of your pregnancies / births, alot of ladies have heavier bleeding due to being 'overly active' once they have given birth and not resting up.
Wish you luck Kelly and please dont worry, you will ahve a large team of people who should you suffer from any problmes will be on hand to get you back on your feet asap.
Michelle, Mum of Ethan 6, and Lauren 4 - Full time Midwife and wife

vivp
Toddler
Toddler

#3 Unread post by vivp » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:43 pm

i was told there was a chance of Hemorrhaging after having thomas because he was my 4th baby and a high risk,i had a needle in me ready for extra blood whilst given birth incase i lost lots of blood, i never need it as there was no more blood lose then a normal birth. Like you all my kids have been close together.

Kelly1983
Middle-ager
Middle-ager

#4 Unread post by Kelly1983 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:55 pm

thanks for that advice, im gonna speak to my midwife again when i see her :)

Bet that was scary vivp?

vivp
Toddler
Toddler

#5 Unread post by vivp » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 am

it was scary as nobody told me any of this whilst i was pregnant only told me whilst i was in labour and well there wasnt much i could do about it then lol

Return to “Ask the Midwife”