babychic

Slap cheek

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

Slap cheek

#1 Unread post by Lynsey » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Vicky,
I'm waiting for results of my blood test for antibodies to parvovirus b19 aka slap cheek syndrome. My friends daughter has it and I was with her while she was contagious. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried. I know the risks are low but am looking for more information on your experience of this.

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#2 Unread post by Bruch70 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:04 am

Hi Lynsey,
I'm sure you have already done some reading around this subject so forgive me for telling you stuff you may already know. I wish i could stop you being worried but as you may have read, there is a slightly increased risk of miscarriage when the disease is contracted before 20 weeks (although it is quite rare) and a very small chance of developing complications for the baby (becoming anaemic and fluid build up aka hydrops), again before 20 weeks.

Unfortunately until you have the results of your blood test, you obviously won't know if you have been exposed/contracted it. Of course you may well find that you are already immune to it (being such a mild disease to children, they often have it without the parents knowing) which would probably be the most reassuring result for you.

On a positive note, i have never had a woman be positive for Parvovirus when screened so it is incredibly rare and rarer still to have complications because of it. It is something we are aware of as midwives of course but my experience has been like yours, women who are exposed and then tested.

For women who are postive and in the first half of pregancy, there will bevery close follow up (scans etc) to monitor the babies well being. In a study which followed up the children of mothers who contracted parvovirus ,there appeared to be no long term effects.

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the result so you can put your mind at rest.

Do let me know if you need any further support or information and please let me know how you get on.

Warmest wishes,

Vicky

xJuliex

#3 Unread post by xJuliex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:33 am

Hoping all comes back okay, Lynsey. I'll be thinking of you.
Julie
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wmxxn8N/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wmxxn8N/weight.png[/img]

Clairebear
Shrinking before our very eyes

#4 Unread post by Clairebear » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:33 pm

I had the same thing happen when I was pregnant with Sophie, one of the children in the room I was working in at nursery had it. Thankfully I was given the all clear but I know how worrying it is until you get the results. Hope it is all ok, let us know how you get on xxx

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Hope it all comes out okay Lynsey. I'm sure you and your little one will be fine.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#6 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey ya. Lynsey i hope your blood test comes back ok huns, Take care x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Lynsey
Little kid
Little kid

#7 Unread post by Lynsey » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks to you all for the warm wishes.
Thanks Vicky, will this compromise my home birth if I have the virus but baby appears healthy?

Return to “Ask the Midwife”