babychic

What this section is about

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
weezypops
Site Guru

What this section is about

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:52 pm

As you may know, one of our members, Vicky (aka Bruch70) is an independent midwife. She came to me with the idea of setting up a section where people could come to her for help and advice about all aspects of pregnancy, labour, delivery and post-natal care. Of course, everyone is free to post their experiences, opinions and thoughts too as sometimes personal experiences can be very helpful to those seeking advice.

The aim here is to offer sound, factual knowledge from people who know what they are talking about, as well as the experiences of those who have been there. While a good debate is a great thing, when we are discussing decisions people have made about their babies, it is understandable that sometimes they may feel undermined when someone disagrees with them or confused by conflicting advice. As we all know there is rarely a one-size fits all answer to pregnancy and parenting questions, but it is still good to be well-informed and armed with the facts.

Please remember that the information here is just advice and as such is not meant to replace the advice of your own midwife, who knows you and your medical history! :wink:

artyfartymack
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#2 Unread post by artyfartymack » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:04 pm

What a fab idea, thanks Vicky

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#3 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:20 pm

What a great idea, as pregnancy can be an anxious or worrying time and will be great to share and seek advice x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#4 Unread post by Bruch70 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:55 am

Hi ladies,
As Louise has already explained I am very happy for anyone to post any questions, queries or concerns however big or small and I will do my very best to give you as much information and assistance as i can (via messages here of course). Sometimes these things can be easily addressed but sometimes they may be beyond my area of expertise and i assure you all, if this is the case, i will always point you in the right direction. In the case of any urgent or emergency situation though, i would always urge you to contact your own maternity care provider as i may not be able to reply immediately and i must ensure your's and baby's well being first and foremost at all times.

Just to introduce myself a bit more thoroughly, my name is Vicky Robinson and i am one of three midwives who work collectively as Essex Midwifery Practice. We are all independent midwives who have been trained and qualified in exactly the same way as NHS midwives but have chosen to work outside of the traditional system. We still provide antenatal, labour, birth and postnatal care but usually in the home. All three of us have come from NHS backgrounds so know the system well, even though we no longer operate within it. Anyone who wants to look us up can do so on www.essexmidwiferypractice.co.uk or about independent midwives in general www.independentmidwives.org.uk.

Personally, i have two children, a daughter who is almost 16 yrs old and a son who is 12 yrs old. My daughter was born in hospital , quite rightly as i had pre eclampsia and a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) but was very sad as desperately wanted a water birth, which naturally was not approriate with my complications. Nevertheless i had a very straight forward birth.

This experienced spurred me on in my second pregnancy, which was uncomplicated this time, to plan again for a waterbirth and after hearing tales about the pools being shut at the hospital due to plumbing issues(!!) I decided to take control and hired a birth pool for a home birth. It was an amazing experience and i had a lovely midwife (unlike the one at my daughter's birth!).

I love my job and the freedom i have being independent. 'MIDWIFE' means 'with woman' (old saxon) and i really feel i can do this now, which makes such a difference.

I look forward to hearing from you all at some time (well, if you need me!) and I'm sure some of you will have invaluable advice to give too so please do join in.

Warm wishes to you all,
Vicky

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#5 Unread post by Bruch70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:29 am

Hi guys,
I am going to open your own replies so all this chat doesn't get lost in the 'sticky'! In case others wanted to read it, hope that's ok?

Follow me there..... :wink: !!

Vicky

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:30 am

Vicky, hold on one sec, I might be able to move the queries to start new posts.

Bruch70
Baby
Baby

#7 Unread post by Bruch70 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:01 pm

OOPPSSS!!! Sorry, i didn't see this til too late!!
I will carry on the other threads now though!

Thanks,

Vicky

Return to “Ask the Midwife”