babychic

Getting a transverse baby to move

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
weezypops
Site Guru

Getting a transverse baby to move

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am

Hi, I was wondering if you had any ideas for getting a transverse baby to move. I'm 32 weeks and the midwife says he has four weeks to move but he's been pretty happy in that position throughout this pregnancy and both of my previous babies were head down by about week 28 onwards, if not before, so I'm getting a bit concerned. He does move a little but never much out of transverse and he always goes back to the same position.

I've tried rocking on all fours with head down and lying with my hips elevated and legs up against a wall but they don't seem to have got him to budge - should I carry on with these? Are there other things I can try?

Oh, also, when I last had a scan two weeks ago they said he was transverse but heading more towards breech so I'm a little nervous that if he does move it might just be into a breech position. But breech is more manageable than transverse, isn't it?

Thanks!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Getting a transverse baby to move

#2 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Baby's position at 32 weeks is not indicative of where they'll end up at term, particularly in mums who've had a baby before. Walking is an excellent way to encourage baby to HO head down, as gravity pulls the heaviest part of the baby (it's head!) downwards. www.spinningbabies.com is a brilliant resource for finding out more about how to influence your baby's position and encourage them into a more optimal position for birth. But I certainly wouldn't be unduly concerned at this stage xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

weezypops
Site Guru

#3 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:24 pm

I've been trying the positions they suggested there and haven't seen any change yet. I do a lot of walking to and from the school and sometimes it feels like there's a bit more pressure but even if he moves a little out of transverse he just pops right back again!

I keep swinging between thinking he still has ages to turn and knowing most do, and then worrying because the midwife said there's only four weeks for him to turn (well, less now). I think it's the fact that the other two were properly head down at this point and had been for ages that worries me a bit too, plus that he's been quite comfortable here for ages!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#4 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm sure baby will head (ha! Excuse the pun!) in the right direction. Remember your muscles have been stretched before so baby has more room to move around. All four if mine have been breech / oblique lies between 31-34 weeks (including my first!) & they did all turn head down. Most babies will lie longitudinally at term, so please do keep positive - baby is just exploring a bit still!! X
Lorraine Berry

weezypops
Site Guru

#5 Unread post by weezypops » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm

Okay, will try not to worry. Just can't help feeling this baby is a bit of a little monkey!

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:07 pm

I have another question, if that's okay. All morning today I've been feeling really big movements - much more forceful than normal - quite painful at times and has made me feel like I'm going to throw up once or twice. It feels like he's trying to turn into a different position as he seems to move a little and for a minute or two his head moves from its normal position under my right boob, but then he seems to get stuck or unable to move any further and ends up back where he started. I might be looking too much into it but that's what it seems like, I've never felt anything like it. Is this normal? Could it be that he actually can't move or am I worrying unnecessarily?

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#7 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 pm

It could definately be that he is trying to move - women who have had babies turn from breech to head down have said that they found it quite uncomfortable - they knew their babies were changing position. You can try lying on your left side or massaging round your abdomen to try and encourage baby to do a forward roll into your pelvis. However, if the movements are worrying you then do contact the maternity unit for further advice. X
Lorraine Berry

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks Lorraine. I'll see how it goes and will give them a call if need be. Just feel a bit silly as I was in there on monday with pains etc.

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#9 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 pm

Never feel silly/ stupid/ worried about bothering them. No query is too small, there is no such thing as a silky question. If something is enough to worry you, then it is important enough for them to take notice of and to help you out with - even if it is just to have a chat over the phone to allay your concerns. They are paid to be there, to listen to your concerns and to treat you seriously and with compassion. It is their job!!!
Lorraine Berry

weezypops
Site Guru

#10 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Yes, you're right (of course!). They are usually very friendly and helpful too.

Return to “Ask the Midwife”