babychic

Count the kicks

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

Count the kicks

#1 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 am

With the tragic news of Amanda Holden's baby over the weekend I want to just make a comment about counting baby's kicks. Withoutwanting to be alarmist Stillbirth is a rare outcome,but it still happens too often - a lot of times there is no reason found for it happening but women often describe a period of reduced movement from their baby in the days / weeks preceding. It is for this reason that the midwife asks how baby is moving at each appointment. We used to tell women to count to ten movements and then stop for the day - you should feel at least ten movements in a twelve hour period. However, this doesn't take account of changes in movement patterns, and what happens if you get ten movements at 9am, but nothing for the rest of the day. Being aware of your baby's normal pattern of movement, when it has quiet times and busy times will help you identify if the baby is being unusually quiet. If baby doesn't seem to have moved much, sit down quietly and pay attention to baby for half an hour - often we are so busy rushing around that we simply don't notice baby squirming around! If baby hasn't moved ten times, has moved more than ten times but still less than usual or if you are at all concerned about baby's movement contact your midwife r hospital immediately. Do not wait for an appointment or leave it until the next day - contact someone straight away - we are a 24 hour service!
Thankfully, most times baby has just changed position or is having an extra sleep, but it always pays to get checked out and be reassured. Remember, the most likely outcome for a healthy mum is always a healthy pregnancy, healthy birth and healthy baby.
Xxx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

Schmushe
Blissful

Re: Count the kicks

#2 Unread post by Schmushe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

I felt movements on the Friday night and overnight and then didnt on the Saturday morning, (even after food), I went to the hospital and they said Nathan was 'sleeping', and I had to then endure all the pain and heartbreak of giving birth. It is a utterly DEVESTATING thing to happen, and although I counted movements daily , these things can happen so quickly and without warning.

I am not meaning to scare anyone, but it really is a important thing to do, and there are valid reasons behind it.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#3 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 am

Aww Michelle huns, ((Big Hugs))

It must be the most awful thing ever. I just couldnt imagine it.

I no alot of the time we no the bubbas patterns. When I was pregnant with Jack of an eve he would alwayssss wriggle about or I would get in the bath and he would love it.
We def no our bodys and what gets them moving too. I agree we so need to be aware. xxx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#4 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:55 am

I am always paranoid about baby. Dh can always tell when he is having a quiet moment as I go really pale apparently.

I was under the impression that the COunt the Kicks campaign was going to give out stickers and folders and ways of tracking movement? I have never received anything tho?

XxJack~AcexX

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Aww I think until you have your bubba home and safely then you can never really relax x
ImageImage

ImageImage

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#6 Unread post by Jenn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:16 pm

Yes Gemma - and then there are a whole lot of other worries and concerns! I don't think parents are ever able to relax fully!

XxJack~AcexX

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:25 pm

Ahh Jenn bubs will be fine huni. You havent got long to wait darl. Any signs since???
Excitinggggg x
ImageImage

ImageImage

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#8 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Visit www.countthekicks.org.uk (I think!) for free stickers or to purchase count the kick bracelet, badge etc.xx
Lorraine Berry

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#9 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Just checked, web address is correct. Please, please do remember though that most women are going to ave a healthy outcome to their pregnancy - try not to get fixated, enjoy your pregnancy - just be aware of the pattern of movements and speak to someone immediately if you are concerned. Xx
Lorraine Berry

Return to “Ask the Midwife”