babychic

Fenton's Procedure...

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
kaisaan1
Baby
Baby

Fenton's Procedure...

#1 Unread post by kaisaan1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi,

I gave birth 19 months ago, I was induced then had a failed ventouse and ended with a forcep delivery. To cut the v.long story short, I had an epidural, we then discovered severe complications, I got an infection in my episiotomy area, I had a 1-2cm hole around the area which had to be left for the skin to granulate and I was left paralysed in my right leg for approx 5 months, severe perineum damage and vaginal wall damage. I was finally discharged from hospital and though I eventually regained use of my leg (they are still investigating what went wrong there!) I then had to have a fenton's procedure on the 8th december 2010 as my scarring was extremely severe. I suffered severe pain in all areas right up until my fenton's procedure and am now having counselling and therapy sessions for the traumatic labour and the aftermath of it.

I am now coming to the end of the healing process from the fenton's and though I havent tried intercourse yet, its 75% better than after birth, however my last follow up app with my consultant he has said I am still left with vaginal wall damage which he cant do anything about? he has said the only thing to help ease that is intercourse, is this the only thing to help it?

I always say I will not have another baby even though I would love Kai to have a brother or sister - this was my first and so the thought of ever going through labour again scares the living daylights out of me to say the least lol. Now hubby has kindly approached the subject of having another next year (so easy for them though hey lol)!!

IF I was to re-consider a vaginal birth (I am 95% sure I will elect for a c-section) what difference does a fentons make to a vaginal birth in the future now, are the chances even higher of having another episiotomy? I have heard that after a fentons tearing naturally is very difficult?

Would also love to hear from those that may have had a vbac / fentons and then had an elective c-section......
Kelly's Barefoot Beauty
http://kellysbarefoot.blogspot.com
~x~ Proud mummy to Kai ~x~

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Fenton's Procedure...

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:12 am

God Kelly, I know this isn't why you posted here as I have nothing to add but I'm so sorry you had to go through all this!

Jeanette
The Nanny

#3 Unread post by Jeanette » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:38 am

Flipping heck Kelly no wonder you are worried.
I'd had never heard of a Fentons procedure, so Googled it and it seems to be a tidying up after an episiotomy.
It seems that the stitching up after an episiotomy after birth cannot be gauranteed to produce perfect results as the tissues are all stretched and swollen etc.
The Fentons appears to be putting that right, so I wouldn't have thought that it would affect any subsequent vaginal deliveries.
I had an episiotomy with my first and went on to have my second without any problems, no episiotomy or tearing etc.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

#4 Unread post by nubs » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:50 am

I had an elective section with my second following an emergency one best decision I ever made - yes it's major surgery but no uncertain thoughts and worries of labouring and ending at the same point were gone and my recovery was fairly quick x
Someone I know had a very bad tear in her first pregnancy and was dreading a second birth luckily her consultant was really good and she had a section, once the decision was made she was so relaxed x
Can u speak to ur consultant regarding ur fears? Might put ur mind at rest before ur decision to get pregnant, u obviously want another and want to enjoy ur pregnancy without the dread of the birth x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

Jenn
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#5 Unread post by Jenn » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:28 am

I'm with Louise here - I also have no help but wow - you are an amazing person to have had to go through all that and even be considering doing it again! Gosh - I had no idea!

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#6 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I'd like to start by saying that your experience is very unusual and extreme - I would say you were very unlucky if it didn't trivialise the awful time you have had. I am glad to hear that things are well on the road to recovery now.

Fentons procedure, or refashioning of episiotomy / tear, is done when healing does not take place properly, in your case because of infection. It is very effective at relieving symptoms, but it is inevitable that there will be some scar tissue left - this will always happen anywhere on your body, anytime the skin and muscle have been torn and repaired. The scar tissue can be lumpy and rigid, and this is what causes the pain. Although the area is obviously much better for you now, it is the rigid bit that the consultant is suggesting will be improved by intercourse, as it will encourage the tissue to stretch and regain elasticity. You sound understandably very nervous about this! Unfortunately, anxiety will only make the situation more difficult as you tense your vaginal muscles involuntarily, and your natural lubrication is also inhibited. This makes penetration difficult and more uncomfortable for you. Rather than going straight for the main event, you may find it easier to have several weeks of gentle lead up - using lots of lubricant (ky for example) you can try to gently stretch the area yourself, doing perineal massage. This is something that some women do in the lead up to birth to encourage the perineum to be more stretchy and reduce the chance if tearing. Choose a time to do this when you can fully relax - after a warm bath before bed is a good time as hopefully Your lo is in bed, and the warm water will also help to soothe you and relax / soften your perineal area. To do the massage, make sure you are warm, your hands are clean, your nails are short(!)
You can either lie on the bed, or stand with one leg raised, whichever you feel most comfortable. Using two fingers insert them about 5cm into the vagina and then gently press downwards onto the back wall and perineum. Only apply pressure that you feel comfortable with. Press down to the count if five, breathing deeply, calmly and rhythmically as you do so. Imagine all the tissues becoming soft and yielding and feel yourself releasing the muscles, consciously letting go and releasing the tension in that area. Move your fingers to the left so that you are now massaging diagonally to the left and repeat. Then repeat to the right. Do the three areas again, using a little more pressure each time, so that it is still comfortable, but you are feeling more pressure. Reapply any lubrication as necessary. You can now massage the perineal tissue between your thumb and fingers - gently rub so that you are increasing the amount of blood flow to that area. All the time, breathe calmly and rhythmically and keep to your comfort limits. Build up over time so that you are increasing the pressure that you feel comfortable with. When you are ready, this is something that you can then ask your partner to do with you. It will help boost your trust and confidence in him that he will not do anything that will hurt you, and will help you gradually return to the intimacy that you previously enjoyed. Remember it is importnant that you do not feel rushed or pressurised into resuming full intercourse, or indeed doing anything, until you are fully comfortable, as this will only be counterproductive to you being able to relax, and result in your discomfort levels being increased. Some couple find a trip down to Ann summers and use of a "marital aid"(!) can also help you gradually return to the "real thing"! Again this is about taking things slowly, gradually and only doing what you feel totally comfortable and at ease with.
Pelvic floor exercises will help to some degree to rebuild the muscle strength and you may possibly regain some of the muscle bulk too.
With regards to future babies and births, there is some school of thought that a vaginal birth with another tear may actually help as the tear reheals better the next time around, and also that the passage of the baby through the birth canal helps to stretch any old scars. However, your case is so extreme I can totally understand that you would not want to risk any deterioration in your condition and I am sure that any obstetrician would look kindly on a choice to have an elective c-section with future babies.
Good luck - I really hope that it all goes well for you, and I would love to hear in the future when you are pregnant again! I. Sure this will happen if it is what you want - just take your time, feel relaxed and use loads of lubricant! There's no rush xx
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

kaisaan1
Baby
Baby

#7 Unread post by kaisaan1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies :lover: . Its not something I have been able to talk about very often and only now I am starting to come to terms with what happened. I attend a counselling session every other week via my doctors surgery as well as therapy sessions to work on anxiety etc and so I know I am making slow progress in terms of dealing with it.

It is extreme and god forbid I would never wish it on another person and unfortunately it was my first child :( but we also have Brachers Solicitors who are working with the case and Southend Hospital as there are a lot of things unanswered as to what went wrong but anyway thats all another story lol.

I have discussed an elective with my consultant and I know I would feel 100% better if this was the way I decided to give birth, but I was still curious as to how my fentons procedure could have helped for future possible vaginal births and so thanks for clarifying that ,to me I just wanted to feel a little bit normal downstairs again lol which is why I went for it. x

The fentons procedure/repair of episiotomy went really well, and I am so pleased I went through with it, I do still have bad scar tissue but nothing compared to before I had it done and at least I can wee now without feeling sore lol. I would recommend a fentons procedure/repair to anyone, though my consultant put me in for the operation at the Wellsley so as not to go back to Southend Hospital but the whole process was no where near as bad as I had worked myself up to.

Thanks for the brilliant information though for the perineal massage and I do have a cupboard full of Instilagel and other things given to me from the hospital for the next big step of intercourse lol. That has cleared up my understanding of my 'vaginal bone damage' concern too and so thanks for all the helpful info xxxx
Kelly's Barefoot Beauty

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#8 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:59 pm

Gosh huni. Im sorry its not a reply but just wanted to say that well done to you. You done amazingly considering what you have been through, im sorry things were so rough huno. x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

kaisaan1
Baby
Baby

#9 Unread post by kaisaan1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Thank you xx
Kelly's Barefoot Beauty