babychic

Elective C-sectipn Vs VBAC

Any questions about pregnancy, labour, birth or postnatal care? Then ask our experienced midwife for some advice.
XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

Elective C-sectipn Vs VBAC

#1 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 am

I would really like to have some positive stuff about both types of birth because quiet honestly im so scared this time round.

My pregnancy with Jack was amaing didnt feel ill or anything. Okay I had SPD about 8 months but other than that was great. So when it came to Jack not wanting to arrive I was induced, still nothing, waters broken and 2 lots of gels, nothing so I was put on a drip which was the false horrible contractions. Jack got stuck at 4 cm dilated and was in distress so I had to have a c-secion.
I rem shaking all the way down there and in theatre!!! I had an epidural pre to c-section delivery and Dom was able to stay in theatre with me and see the amazingness when Jack was born.

I no that an elective c-section supposed to be alot more calmer and more relaxed however im still so so scared.

I have a consultant app when im 20 weeks and ill be booked in to see the nurse about the VBAC clinic to find out alot more ptions that i have.
I would love to try for a VBAC if im able to, but that depends on this growth chart that they do to predict how big baby will be again as Jack was 9lb 2oz.

Ive been told that if I opt for a a VBAC and it doesnt go how they would like it I wouldnt be left as long etc, I wouldnt be induced etc so my body would have to go through all that again!!
I will be given a date for an elective c-section if I dont go into labour by myself.

I no a few people that has had elective csections.. and the recovery time was so much better.

I hated that I had to be in bed and buzz for the m/wife to pass me my baby out :( I tried breast feeding but I was so sore from Jack laying on my belly I was in tears as he wouldnt take it. I was so sore. I no the m/wives are there for that but I wanted to do it.

I no im not due till August but as last year just flew by I no this one will soon be here.

Scaredddd.com :lol: xx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

nubs
Retiree
Retiree

Re: Elective C-sectipn Vs VBAC

#2 Unread post by nubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

I can honestly say everything from recovery to BF was so much better 2nd time round, your body isn't so traumistised

I think I was a lot more relaxed through out my pregnancy once I decided on the elective section, no more what if's, I laboured to 10cms and couldn't get Jack out and dreaded the same happening again and the fact that i could plan what was happening with Jack was great x u know where I am if you want to discuss anything, TBH the VBAC clinic chat with the nurse didn't tell me anything I didn't already know but then they didn't have a reason why really for my emergency section x
Kris, Jack & Sam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGTCZlm/]
[/url]

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#3 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:13 pm

I have read and will reply soon - three children yelling at tops of their voices at the mo - will get to you as soon as I can!
Lorraine Berry
BSc(Hons) Registered Midwife, Natal Hypnotherapist
Birth Calm, Confident and Relaxed

http://www.birthaffinity.co.uk

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#4 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you are so fearful, as the most likely outcome from choosing either option is a healthy mum and baby. The main aim is for you to feel confident and happy with your choice, so that you can relax and look forward to the birth.

It sounds like you are erring towards VBAC. This has been shown to be a safe option, with a recent study showing it to be safe after even three previous sections. However, with everything in pregnancy and birth, there are no guarantees that you will have a vaginal birth, and I think that most women are concerned that they will go for VBAC, go through labour and then end up with a section at the end of it anyway. Whilst this is always a possibility, the more confident you are, the more trusting in your body's ability to birth your baby naturally and the more relaxed you are during the birth, the more likely you are to have a vaginal birth. Anxiety and fear produce adrenaline, which in turn inhibits your body from producing the hormone needed to make your womb contract, which in turn leads to slower labours and an increased likelihood of intervention, including c-section. Part of the key to having a successful VBAC is to feel happy and confident with your coping techniques for the labour and birth, therefore, and to have good support from your birth partner. Scans are notoriously unreliable when it comes to pinpointing fetal weight - they are an estimate, and they can get it a bit wrong. Induction for "large baby" is also unsupported by research, with no significant improvement in outcomes, but an increased chance of c-section, so big baby is not a great indication to have an induced labour for. In this instance, you might like to consider waiting it out and allowing your baby and your body to choose the right time to be born and your chance of VBAC succeeding will be higher. Even if you go for VBAC and end up with an emergency section at the end of it, I have found that the vast majority of women have felt at least they tried and won't be asking "what if".

Elective c-section has undoubtably the benefit of knowing when, where and how - and can also be a much more relaxed affair in that everyone is prepared for when it is going to happen and are ready and waiting. You won't have gone through the physical exertion of any labour at all and most women find that they recover more quickly from their elective section than from their emergency section. (Having said that, you recover even more readily from a vaginal birth!) Although it should never be forgotten that it is major abdominal surgery and not without risks, it is a largely safe procedure, with the majority of women having a fairly straightforward recovery afterwards.

I understand your anxiety - it is difficult to make the choice with so much information and advice directed at you. However, you need to feel totally confident and comfortable with your decision, so it needs to be whatever you feel is right for you as an individual. Both options bring an equal chance of a positive birth outcome for you, so the most important thing is that you feel happy about that choice. Talk to the VBAC midwives about any specific concerns or anxieties that you have - they will be able to help put your mind at ease and adapt your birth plan accordingly (for example, some women choosing elective section want to ensure that they will have a section even if they do start to labour, other women want to go for straight for section and not induction if labour does not start naturally, being able to use the birth pool and be active during VBAC labour etc)

I hope this helps - as pp said, you often feel calmer having made a decision as you can then focus your energies into positively preparing for that choice rather than worrying about what to do for the best. Whatever you choose, be confident and look forward to your baby's arrival.

Warmest wishes,
Lorraine
Lorraine Berry

XxJack~AcexX

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks very much for replying and writing all that.
I do feel really will powered this time round in what I want etc so I will certainly try for the VBAC. I no its early days so I may change my mind later on.
Thanks so much I do feel alot more positive now tho

Kris huni thankyou. I may well have a good natter with you about things later on in this pregnancy when I ahev my options look at properly, that would be great. x
ImageImage

ImageImage

BirthAffinity
Explorer
Explorer

#6 Unread post by BirthAffinity » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 pm

The earlier on you start preparing yourself, the better as you have more time to release any old fears or anxieties and to look positively on the forthcoming birth. Have a look at www.homebirth.org.uk - I know you are not planning on being at home, but there are list of positive stories about VBAC and birth in general, so you can start to redress the balance against any existing negative views of birth that you might hold and regain perspective on it as a normal healthy and safe event. Look into optimal fetal positioning, as this can help the baby adopt a "best fit" position in your pelvis, making it easier for baby to negotiate his way out. Complementary therapies, such as reflexology, yoga and hypnotherapy are also really good ways of helping you to relax, breathe comfortably and maximise your chances of a positive birth outcome. Good luck xx
Lorraine Berry

XxJack~AcexX

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Thanks again lovey, thats great :D x
ImageImage

ImageImage