babychic

council

Gina73
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#16 Unread post by Gina73 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:35 pm

I know Southend council have changed the way they allocate housing. It no longer works on a points system. Instead you bid on properties and they then look at who has bid on them and put them into an order of who has highest priority and who has been on the list the longest. Sounds a much fairer system. My friend who has 3 kids and has been living in a 1 bed flat and has been on the list to be moved for nearly 10 years since having her first child has eventually been allocated a 3 bed house.
Mum to Mia & Mason, wife to Steve - life is for living.

lea-marie
Charli's Angel

#17 Unread post by lea-marie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:44 pm

The points scheme is still in place with most councils, and the recent change that Gina is talking about seems to refer to what's taken over from the transfer process rather than first allocations... I'm not sure this would work in your favour as they only tend to consider you as a priority if you are physically homeless or living ridiculously overcrowded...

Best advice is to see your local housing office, explain the situation in that you have just split from your partner, you have a child etc... you need to fill in a form for a council/housing association house etc and then you get put on the waiting list. You can tend to be on there for a while sometimes, and also, they LOVE putting people into hostels for months on end! I spent 7 months in a hostel with Charli before they gave me a flat, then over 2 years in a 1 bed flat until I finally got my house (the one that I have just moved out of)

Another option is to look online etc for a private rented house, and if you're not working/single parent etc (so you would probably qualify), you can apply for Local Housing Allowance, which basically works the same as housing benefit, but for private rented properties... this will make the process a lot quicker for you! What they do is work out your individual circumstance, then allocate an allowance for you (for example, you would need a two bed property, so they would probably pay out roughly up to £160 a week towards your rent)

Here is a link on LHA - hope it helps!

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/housingbenefit/cl ... ssing/lha/
Borderline hippie, intersectional feminista, SJKW and general grump!

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey
Graduate
Graduate

#18 Unread post by jakie_my_cheeky_monkey » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:44 pm

wow so i could end up in a 1 bedroom flat :0/ i hope not.
[img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd263/CLAIRE_BEAR_1985/jake2.jpg[/img]

mummy2jayden
Weight-loss Supremo

#19 Unread post by mummy2jayden » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Claire this can be quite a stressful time so be prepared! Its mostly been described to you by these wonderful ladies but i found when i had to do this i found it easier to go through the housing benefit rather than actually waiting for a council house/flat because you could wait years! (seriously!!) Waiting lists are so ridiculosuly long! Where are you at the moment? whats your situation? if youe responsible for the property your in and OH is moving out and your renting you can find out from your llord if he/she would take DSS that way its much easier for you to stay where you are plus get mostly/all your rent paid. If your wanting to get on council list youll literally have to be homeless before they even consider you, this would mean going into a homeless shelter or b&b. your best off visiting your local council and aksing them to speak to an advisor. They can advise you further. Good luck xx
Mummy To Gorgeous 2 Year Old Jayden

Total Weight Lost: 6st 8lb ... 10lb to go!

weezypops
Site Guru

#20 Unread post by weezypops » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Claire, do you have any relatives or friends you could stay with for a bit, or maybe some people you could do a houseshare with?

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey
Graduate
Graduate

#21 Unread post by jakie_my_cheeky_monkey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:05 am

i live with my partner and its his dads house.
and i cant stay here to long it will make things worse, his said i can sleep in the same bed i said no i have to sleep in jakes room on the floor 4 the time being, i wanna see if i can rent a place, im not very good with things like this so im getting 1 of the mums on here said she will help me so we both go down to council soon.

Jeanette
The Nanny

#22 Unread post by Jeanette » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 am

This must a terrible time for you Claire but judging by the amount of replies you've got here, it seems that you have and will get a lot of support and advice from the lovely ladies on here. Hope things get sorted for you soon.
Mum to Louise and Andrew, Nanny to Felix, Iris, Dexter and Charlie.

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#23 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:18 am

Ahh huns i hope you get someone that can help darl.
I dont no much about it all, some girlys do!
Just wana say like Jeanette said, that we are all here for you darl. Hope you get some answers and you feel better soon. GOOD LUCK GIRLY x
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#24 Unread post by weezypops » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:53 am

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey wrote:i live with my partner and its his dads house.
and i cant stay here to long it will make things worse, his said i can sleep in the same bed i said no i have to sleep in jakes room on the floor 4 the time being, i wanna see if i can rent a place, im not very good with things like this so im getting 1 of the mums on here said she will help me so we both go down to council soon.
What about your own relatives. Where do your mum and dad live? Also, is it worth starting asking around if people have spare rooms etc. just for the time being? You never know, someone might be looking for a bit of extra rent...

Good luck though, and keep us posted, I'm sure everyone would love to help as mcuh as they can

LisaPhillips
Student
Student

#25 Unread post by LisaPhillips » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:57 am

hi claire,

sorry things are crap at the moment. I'm a Benefit assessor in local government so feel free to PM me or mail me through facebook if you need any advice on benefits, LHA, renting, housing etc. x

hakewill75
Newborn
Newborn

#26 Unread post by hakewill75 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:33 pm

LisaPhillips wrote:hi claire,

sorry things are crap at the moment. I'm a Benefit assessor in local government so feel free to PM me or mail me through facebook if you need any advice on benefits, LHA, renting, housing etc. x
It might be worth asking Lisa for some advice Claire, so you dont have to wait on the phone for hours to speak to someone.
Michelle, Mum of Ethan 6, and Lauren 4 - Full time Midwife and wife

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey
Graduate
Graduate

#27 Unread post by jakie_my_cheeky_monkey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm

weezypops wrote:
jakie_my_cheeky_monkey wrote:i live with my partner and its his dads house.
What about your own relatives. Where do your mum and dad live? Also, is it worth starting asking around if people have spare rooms etc. just for the time being? You never know, someone might be looking for a bit of extra rent...

Good luck though, and keep us posted, I'm sure everyone would love to help as mcuh as they can

my mum lives in bournemouth and my dad hasnt got no room 4 me cuz he has my 2 young half brothers living there they live in grays. i try living there be4 and i couldnt do it.x

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey
Graduate
Graduate

#28 Unread post by jakie_my_cheeky_monkey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:07 pm

do i go to my council where i live now or do i go to the council where i wanna live in?

Schmushe
Blissful

#29 Unread post by Schmushe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey wrote:do i go to my council where i live now or do i go to the council where i wanna live in?
You normally go to the council where you live, even if you want to move out of Benfleet and to somewhere locally, they will give you forms to fill in and you will be able to tick which areas you would consider to move to.

jakie_my_cheeky_monkey
Graduate
Graduate

#30 Unread post by jakie_my_cheeky_monkey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:34 pm

ok xxxx

Return to “Single Parents”