babychic

Miscarriage Support Thread

weezypops
Site Guru

Miscarriage Support Thread

#1 Unread post by weezypops » Sun May 01, 2011 1:57 pm

As it's something that is so common, but hard to deal with, I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to supporting each other during and after miscarriage, answer any questions etc. I know not everyone wants to post a whole thread about their experiences but might find it useful to have somewhere to just have a bit of a moan, talk about their feelings during and even months or years after. It might also offer some answers and support for people who are wondering about what's happening to them and want to read what others have been through.

So please feel free to share any stories, ask for help or any questions you may have. Oh, and if anyone wants to start a similar thread for any other kind of loss then please do, I just thought this was something that so many women go through it would be good to have.

weezypops
Site Guru

Re: Miscarriage Support Thread

#2 Unread post by weezypops » Sun May 01, 2011 2:13 pm

I'll share my experiences for those who don't know them. I have two kids, both with normal pregnancies, no problems etc. and generally thought I was pretty lucky.

Had a chemical pregnancy at Christmas which was slightly prolonged because it was a missed miscarriage so when they tested my HCG it was rising just not fast enough to be a 'normal' pregnancy. Was back and forth to the hospital with them trying to work out what was going on but with no luck. They thought it might be ectopic for a while and did a laparoscopy but thankfully it wasn't. They decided in the end it was that not everything had passed so I had to wait for that to happen. Finally started on Christmas eve and it was painful and heavy but over pretty fast. It was a hard few weeks but it was more the not knowing what was happening than anything else, especially as they kept saying that it might all be okay, only for us to be let down again.

I got pregnant again in February and was at 12 weeks and a day when I started bleeding. It was just a little at first so I was hoping it was okay but then got heavier and clottier as the day went on. I called the Early Pregnancy Unit and they said to come in for a scan the next day. I was due to have my 12 week scan the next day which made the whole thing like a bad joke really. By bedtime that night I wasn't holding out much hope as it was still heavy but lots of people told me stories of things being okay after similar bleeding so I there was some. I woke up at 4.30 and it was so much worse I really didn't see how it could still be okay. It was so very painful and wasn't stopping - this is probably far too much information so I apologise now, but I felt like I had to sit on the toilet constantly as it just kept coming and coming and was so heavy and horrid. I had to shower twice and just couldn't control it. I was starting to worry that it was too much blood loss as I remembered something about it being too much if you soak a pad in an hour and I'd been through five or six in about two hours. This was 6.30 and I was just about to call the hospital but then started to feel woozy and couldn't get up off the loo. I called Kester and he tried to get me back to bed but I passed out on the way so he called the ambulance and they took me into A&E. All pretty scary really.

It did mean we were sort of prepared for the worst though, as I really didn't think anything would be okay by then. I was still bleeding heavily so they put the scan back to 2pm as they didn't think they would be able to see anything. While I was waiting for it I passed something into the bowl they provided that at the time I thought looked like the placenta though i think now was probably the gestational sac and everything in it. I didn't really want to look though afterwards felt like I should have, but at the same time I'm sort of glad it was 'caught' rather than just passing it without knowing. I had the scan and they couldn't see anything so said it looked like everything had passed. Even though we were prepared for it, it was still so hard to hear. I can't imagine what it would be like if we'd gone in for our scan thinking everything was okay only to find out it wasn't. It's a small mercy but it's something.

Nearly two weeks on I'm still pretty up and down about it but generally okay. I wish there were some answers though I know there aren't any. I'd had some blood tests a few days before and would be interested to know if they'd found anything odd, and I wish I'd asked if they'd been able to tell how many weeks the baby had been, like whether it died earlier etc. i don't know why I want to know these things, I'm sure it won't help anything. Just morbid curiosity maybe.

Anyway, I hope this isn't too self-indulgent and is helpful to someone to read and encourages others to share too. Sometimes it's just good to write things out I think.

Also, if no-one minds I'll ask the first question:

So it's nearly two weeks on and I still have a little brown spotting and some occasional crampiness if I do too much, plus am getting a very faint line on a pregnancy test. Does anyone know how long it takes for everything to be done?

XxJack~AcexX
Our very own Christmas Elf

#3 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon May 02, 2011 9:02 am

I will post my experiences later of 2mor.

On your question Lou. Mine cleared up not long after 2 weeks of bleeding and was brown. I then too had to take a preg test just after those 2 weeks and it was finally showing negative. It could soon show for you negative too, however all our bodys are different lovey and could be anytime I guess. Its the preg hormone in your body bless ya.

Do you need to go back to the hospital? I had to go back a few weeks after for them to preg test me and offer any advice. x
I just want to say too that when I wrote about my experience in the past it really did help me.. I hope this has too xx
ImageImage

ImageImage
Im Gemma, mummy to my 2 gawjus boys. Im married to my childhood love Dom xXx

weezypops
Site Guru

#4 Unread post by weezypops » Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 am

They didn't say anything about going back unless there were signs of infection, more pain etc. It just seems to ease off and I have a day of almost no bleeding then the next day there's more, so it's keeping me guessing. Maybe I'll give it a week or so then call if it's still going on.

XxJack~AcexX

#5 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Ahh okayys Lou. Mine was a coouple of years ago so maybe its gen change huni.
I hope things ease for you soon and you start to feel a bit better soon.

I dont feel I need to post about my previous m/c's on this particular thread as ive already shared my experiences in the past but always here if anyone needs to talk. xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

weezypops
Site Guru

#6 Unread post by weezypops » Fri May 06, 2011 12:02 am

Oh, something weird I meant to ask you all about - I started leaking milk this morning. I haven't since stopping breastfeeding Iris so it was a bit of a surprise. Any ideas why? Could it have been related to the miscarriage?

XxJack~AcexX

#7 Unread post by XxJack~AcexX » Fri May 06, 2011 9:21 am

Im sorry I cant answer that one darl. I never had it at all.
How are things now? Has other things eased off for you. EPU are always there hun if you need to talk to them or ask anything.
Hope your ok lovely x
ImageImage

ImageImage

weezypops
Site Guru

#8 Unread post by weezypops » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 am

Yeah I'm okay, the bleeding seems to have stopped, just waiting for things to get back to normal really.

rachel jane
Great-Grandparent
Great-Grandparent

#9 Unread post by rachel jane » Fri May 06, 2011 8:29 pm

The milk is probably your hormones settling down i would of thought Louise.x

Return to “Coping with a Loss”